Author Topic: One-Year Anniversary: It's Basically Done  (Read 15404 times)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Re: One-Year Anniversary: It's Basically Done
I'm waiting to hear back from Darius, but it seems that I managed to volunteer myself (Well, I acquiesced to The_E's challenge along the lines of "You want to do it?") to attempt to co-ordinate a VA-ing effort for War in Heaven. Obviously, this is dependent on what Darius says, but I'd be willing and able to give it a go (when my exams and field trip are done by mid-june, and patchily until Star Ruler beta-testing finishes in August).

This does mean, eventually, that I will be recruiting.

I have ideas on how to tackle the characters who are supposed to have specific chemistry between them, but it would seem like breaking experimental ground for remote co-ordination and cooperation of voice actors, so could well be the make or break of the effort.

The_E has promised me the support of the team if I get the go-ahead, and I'd like to entreat the regular actors of the Hard Light community to lend me their support as well, as they've more experience in this field than I.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:48:27 am by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline -Norbert-

You can sign me up for any minor role that needs filling. And should the Labouchere make an appearance, reserve that role for me please (since I was her voice in AoA).

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Ravenholme, not that your offer is not appreciated by BP staff, but you really have no idea what you're getting into.

By very, very rough assumption I would stay that the first part of WiH has about four times as much lines as AoA had. Add second part on top of that, and you have at least eight times as much lines as AoA had. AoA voice-acting took 8 months to complete. So realistically you'd look at a project that would be many times longer.

Due to the nature of written dialogue in this campaign, voice actors and actresses need certain dynamic to get their respective lines right, which is extremely hard to do over internet. It's just not worth the time and effort to get decent voice-acting done. For poor voice acting there is always synthetic.

Wait until you've played both first and second part of the campaign. Then decide what you really want to get into. Until then, you'd best not to make any promises or plans regarding the matter. If you're still out to do this, we can only question your sanity as well as applaud you for it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have done my best to get this point across on IRC. That said, I am all for giving him a chance to do this.

Also, it makes sense to start with VAing Release 1 before R2 is out, just to get a head start on it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's not worth the time, but I think you'd better play Act 1 first before you start volunteering yourself, buddy.  :D

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's not worth the time, but I think you'd better play Act 1 first before you start volunteering yourself, buddy.  :D

Yeah, I can imagine the scale of the task, but it is subject to seeing just how much dialogue I have to co-ordinate (I can imagine, though, from the videos I saw you've made this one much more chatty than AoA - Bad radio discipline on the pilot's part :P )

(Sorry for the delay in replying, had a cell biology lecture over the last hour)

Hmm, I could've furthered my Pro-GTVA agenda by turning that comment on bad radio discipline into a disparaging remark about the UEF military as a whole.... oh well, missed opportunity :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:04:15 am by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
However this pans out i'm all for getting onboard too.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Awesome, sounds like you guys have made incredible progress.  About the voice acting, have you guys considered recording the complicated scenes live and then sort of "overdubbing" with the final voice actors?  Here's how I would envision it working:

1) The team member in charge of the VA, having identified the missions that require special effort, meets up with one or two enthusiastic prospective voice actors who have also read through the scripts beforehand.  They discuss each exchange to get on the same page and then perform the missions, recording the important interactions as big single chunks of audio on a laptop or something.

2) The audio is packaged along with the scripts and uploaded to mediafire or whatever, and the list of parts that need to be filled is posted on the forum along with links.

3) The folks who wanna try their hand at VA can now download and mimic an actual performance that makes sense, has all the right little nuances, and isn't just them reading random sentences totally out of context.  Even people who have never played the campaign will be able to turn in appropriately inflected lines with the correct pacing, tone, pronunciation of proper names, etc.  They can then chop up and label their pristine, high-quality dubs and send them back in.

4) Profit

Clearly the major drawback is that you are adding in another step to the process, but the tiny performance group's efforts over the course of a couple afternoons would be magnified many times over by the individual actors, possibly yielding much more consistent and convincing final product.  Plus they can go out for a beer or four afterward.  Anyway, just a thought.  I'm really looking forward to this campaign. :yes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Regarding the WIH VA, i'd happily contribute (already mentioned elsewhere) but i'm curious as to how many different roles there are to be filled. AoA was around the fifteen-twenty mark and it took a fair while to even reach that amount of interested application let alone the successful application.

I get the feeling WIH may need far far more.
I'm up for reviving the Mongoose Squadron o' Doom myself, if it will help eat up a few bit roles. :p

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
On the music front, you guys thought about using some of the Conquest: Frontier Wars soundtrack?

The Terran Theme 1 might suit as some form of pyrrhic victory or a very hard won one. (Though it does sound very Starship Troopers)

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We have a pretty complete soundtrack already. And hopefully, we'll get a few custom tracks at some point.

TerranTheme1 is very SST-ish, however that probably won't be an issue as the UEF is the United Earth Federation, just like the Terran Federation in SST, and of course the UEF has a big honkin' Terran eagle as their symbol.

That reminds me.  I need to play more C:FW.  TrashMan made a mod for it and I can basically spam Battleships and Fleet Carriers in it since Battleships have PDL's to deal with Mantis fighters and Fleet Carriers have these ridiculously long-ranged bombardment cannons.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Well, if an effort is made to VA the campaign, I'm totally in.  Don't delay the mod for it, but I think we could pull together and get it acted post-release, even if it takes time.  Dibs on the Duke and Fortune if they're in WiH. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:45:34 pm by Renegade Paladin »
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Kolgena

Well, if an effort is made to VA the campaign, I'm totally in.  Don't delay the mod for it, but I think we could pull together and get it acted post-release, even if it takes time.  Dibs on the Duke and Fortune if they're in WiH. 

Okay. As long as VA happens to it eventually, I will be placated :) I got the impression earlier that nobody was going to bother organizing something to get VActing done, so... yeah. My bad.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Okay. As long as VA happens to it eventually, I will be placated :) I got the impression earlier that nobody was going to bother organizing something to get VActing done, so... yeah. My bad.

Nobody on the team will be, at least as things stand. But a fan effort (as happened with AoA, namely by myself) that occurs after release won't be out of the question.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Well, if an effort is made to VA the campaign, I'm totally in.  Don't delay the mod for it, but I think we could pull together and get it acted post-release, even if it takes time.  Dibs on the Duke and Fortune if they're in WiH.  

The team isn't. I've however, foolishly, volunteered to take a bash at organising an effort to get it VA'd

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

I was wondering, have just played some more BP : Directors Cut. How did you guys organize the dialog in missions like First Contact(the one when they make the ceremony with the Sanctuary) or that other mission when Bei flies off to see the Vishnans.

The chat Bei has with his wingmates is pretty emotional. I wonder how the VA team managed that properly with the actors just recording disjointed lines. I assume that in WiH we will have more such dialog and thats what makes VAing it so daunting.

Offline -Norbert-

One advantage of making the VA after the release is, that the actors can just play the mission right before (or even during) recording the lines. That makes it easier to "get the mood right". At least it helped me.
On top of that the actors of the major roles are simply amazing!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The chat Bei has with his wingmates is pretty emotional. I wonder how the VA team managed that properly with the actors just recording disjointed lines. I assume that in WiH we will have more such dialog and thats what makes VAing it so daunting.

The main thing is that the VAs for Bei, Corey and Taylor are just that good. Also, giving them proper directions helps immensely.

One advantage of making the VA after the release is, that the actors can just play the mission right before (or even during) recording the lines. That makes it easier to "get the mood right". At least it helped me.

Just a guess here, but a significant portion of the people we cast were from outside sources with no connection to FS whatsoever. It comes down to providing them with a proper script; just giving them the blank lines without stage directions would result in awfulness.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

The main thing is that the VAs for Bei, Corey and Taylor are just that good. Also, giving them proper directions helps immensely.

Just a guess here, but a significant portion of the people we cast were from outside sources with no connection to FS whatsoever. It comes down to providing them with a proper script; just giving them the blank lines without stage directions would result in awfulness.

Yep, I discovered the usefulness of providing stage directions when I used my little sister to voice a couple of lines in my first FRED mission. She performed admirably (For a 16 year old scottish girl), and the only limitation to the quality was my somewhat crappy mic.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp