Author Topic: Inferno 10th Anniversary Announcement  (Read 71950 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Inferno 10th Anniversary Announcement
INFR1U is cool, but I think that in the tradition of awesome reboots like Star Trek, you should just call it 'Inferno'.

INFR1U is cool, but I think that in the tradition of awesome reboots like Star Trek, you should just call it 'Inferno'.
The man has a point.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Here's a rough development timeline:

In 2001, Inferno was born and campaign was partitioned into three releases: R1, R2, and R3.  In 2003, INF R1 was released.  With the rise of the SCP, we decided to fuse R1, R2, and R3 into one new release, known as INF SCP, whose development went on sporadically for the next several years.  It was put on the backburner as focus was transferred to Inferno: Alliance (or INFA) and its sequel INFSA once INFA was released.  Last year, a team member brought up resurrecting R1 and bringing it to modern standards.  Various plans were looked at, and we ultimately decided to fuse R1 with what we have in development for INF SCP into a new release that will complete the R1 story arc.  This is our currently active project: Inferno Release 1 Upgrade, or INFR1U.
You left out the part where an SCP upgrade is created for R1 with a few bugfixes and improved and added models.  ;7
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
INFR1U is more or less an internal codename for the project right now.

-R

Guys, it's Inferno. The confusing, unnecessary acronyms are part of the legacy and charm.

I hereby cast my vote for MOAR Acronyms. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
At one point the new release of INF SCP was going to be called INF SCP R1. :P

Offline mr.WHO

I vote for INF R1U SCP SA Alliance :P

Edit: ...or better INF R1U Alliance SCP SA  :lol:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Which is what I plan really, the R1U codename goes back to the intitial discussions when it was just a R1 upgrade. I'd rather get back to basics and keep it simple.

At one point the new release of INF SCP was going to be called INF SCP R1. :P
There would of been only 1 main release for INF SCP, so it never had R1 tacked on :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe it was INFASAR1 then, which is even more confusing.

Please please please tell me the Gargant is in it
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Perhaps it will be, but only in skybox form.  :drevil:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Why do people like that ship so much anyway? It's an invulnerable set piece more than it is a ship.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Why do people like that ship so much anyway? It's an invulnerable set piece more than it is a ship.
It's overpowered 40-km Sathanas that noone can kill, nothing special. The only thing I don't like in Inferno are superjuggs and other overpowered ships.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The only thing I don't like in Inferno are superjuggs and other overpowered ships.

When you have a campaign that has minimal storytelling and character development, one of the things that keeps people playing the campaign are the super-juggernauts and the anticipation for more super-juggernauts.

-R

It's overpowered 40-km Sathanas that noone can kill, nothing special. The only thing I don't like in Inferno are superjuggs and other overpowered ships.

This.  I even consider the Gigas to be pushing it, but the story around that particular vessel seemed well done and it's iconic at this point. But ships like the Gargant and so on really are quite stupid.

Granted, Inferno has always been about BIG, but theres still a certain point where it stops being  completely awesome, and becomes more groan-inducing.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The only thing I don't like in Inferno are superjuggs and other overpowered ships.

When you have a campaign that has minimal storytelling and character development, one of the things that keeps people playing the campaign are the super-juggernauts and the anticipation for more super-juggernauts.

-R
Inferno isn't one of them. It's just a cold story about war, true Freespace. That's one of things why I love Inferno - it's classic. Old but still good story + atmosphere + awesome modpack = big success, and I think Inferno would be awesome even without superjuggs and overpowered vessels.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Inferno isn't one of them. It's just a cold story about war, true Freespace. That's one of things why I love Inferno - it's classic. Old but still good story + atmosphere + awesome modpack = big success, and I think Inferno would be awesome even without superjuggs and overpowered vessels.

Okay, if you put it that way, we're now obligated to write a good story.  Thank you so much for doubling our workload. :p

-R

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I talked to Woo and have offered to help out with your script when the time comes.

You guys shouldn't have too much difficulty. The story in R1 may have been a little bare bones, but it was most certainly there, and it more than got the job done. With a little fleshing out, you can easily produce something that does the Inferno concept justice.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I want my superjuggernauts. I don't care about if you add plot or not, I just want my superjuggernauts and my anticipation of more superjuggernauts. KTHX.

We need at least one mod with lots of superjuggernauts to satisfy our desire for ever bigger ships.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================