Author Topic: Re: CVS Builds  (Read 64242 times)

Got some problems here as well with newer builds, no matter if used with 367 or 368. Any of the newer builds will ctd from the launcher when loading OpenAL, with no sound everything works fine. Yes, I do have OPenAL1.1 installed, I think it must have sometging to do with the Soundblaster X-Fi.  I have been looking all over the forum so far, but no avail. Can somebody confirm?

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Edit: Nevermind
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:20:17 pm by Skippy »
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
 :wtf: I've got the sound bug.  Just reading my own post; I realized I had version 1.1 instead of the latest version of OpenAl.  So, rather than leaving well enough alone, I went and installed the version from scp.indiegames.us .  Oops.  No sound, got error messages.  Re-installed version 1.1 of OpenAl over the newer version ... Sound works again!!   :)  Not sure why the version from the scp page would do that, though.  Hope that helps.  Version 1.1 from www.openal.org : http://www.openal.org/openal_webstf/downloads/OpenALwEAX.exe  :D

thanks for helping, unfortunately it didn't help in my case. The funny thing is that other games that use Open AL (eg. Quake IV) work as usual, but debug build will stop on initializing oAL....

Offline redmenace

Updated!
CVS as of 1/08/06
Some Important Comments:
  • Standard Build Updated
  • Optimized Build Updated
  • Inferno Build Updated
  • Optimized Inferno Updated
  • Standard FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized FRED2 Updated
  • Inferno FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized Inferno FRED2 Updated
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline redmenace

Updated!
CVS as of 1/09/06
Some Important Comments:
  • Standard Build Updated
  • Optimized Build Updated
  • Inferno Build Updated
  • Optimized Inferno Updated
  • Standard FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized FRED2 Updated
  • Inferno FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized Inferno FRED2 Updated
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Ok, the 12/29 build was running fine but now I'm getting CTDs every time I try to play 'Their Finest Hour' and Mantis is broken so can't report it, so figure I'll just get a new build. I have an AMD Athlon64 X2, so it sounds like optimized is for me, but I was using the normal build before - willt he optimized mess up my normal one if I start using that?

Also, I'm assuming save-games transfer over when you upgrade builds?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The optimized build will probably not mess up anything, but the Inferno build might. I had an Inferno build convert my pilotfiles to a separate folder, it took me around a half hour to figure out what had happened and to fix it with a hex editor.

Savgames are automatically upgraded, but at the same time, this means that they won't work with older builds if an upgrade is made. So far, there haven't been any pilot file upgrades since 3.6.7.
-C

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I'm wondering if the wireframe mode for FRED2 Open is operational ? Because, when I use this feature, FRED2 crash and I can't use it. I 've to wait a new release to use FRED2 or older released like the 3.6.5.

EDIT : I found another problem, but this time with Fs2 build from the 07.01.2006. It seems the textures are in low quality when I am at 150 meters or less to my target. I don't know if it's a mipmap related or a LOD related. With older build like the 29.12.2005, I have no problem.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 05:03:21 am by MetalDestroyer »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
EDIT : I found another problem, but this time with Fs2 build from the 07.01.2006. It seems the textures are in low quality when I am at 150 meters or less to my target. I don't know if it's a mipmap related or a LOD related. With older build like the 29.12.2005, I have no problem.
It now uses mipmap levels for detail level settings.  If the "3D Hardware Textures" slider is at the max then it work as it always has.  If not then it caps the maximum detail mipmap that can be displayed so you may not get the maximum quality image, but it's a user preference.  Of course this is only for OpenGL, D3D doesn't have support for that yet.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
It now uses mipmap levels for detail level settings. If the "3D Hardware Textures" slider is at the max then it work as it always has. If not then it caps the maximum detail mipmap that can be displayed so you may not get the maximum quality image, but it's a user preference. Of course this is only for OpenGL, D3D doesn't have support for that yet.

Where can i found the "3D Hardware Textures" slider ? in the launcher ? or into Fs 2 ?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Where can i found the "3D Hardware Textures" slider ? in the launcher ? or into Fs 2 ?
In FS2, the detail settings tab on the options screen.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What about in FRED?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
What about in FRED?
The wireframe thing?  I was going to wait until I had tried that myself before commenting.  There was an issue previously where wireframe mode was/is still non-HTL and was hitting a limit on some of the higher-poly models.  I think that FRED2 may use HTL-based line drawing for that but I'm not sure.  Either way, I had fixed it so that it shouldn't crash with rendering hi-poly models in wireframe view and instead it just wouldn't render.  That worked in the normal game but I had never tried it in FRED2.  FRED may do something different, or this is a new and unrelated issue.  I'm still working on getting the dynamic starfield code working in FRED properly so I'll test out the wireframe thing as I put the finishing touches on the starfield code.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What about in FRED?
The wireframe thing?  I was going to wait until I had tried that myself before commenting.  There was an issue previously where wireframe mode was/is still non-HTL and was hitting a limit on some of the higher-poly models.  I think that FRED2 may use HTL-based line drawing for that but I'm not sure.  Either way, I had fixed it so that it shouldn't crash with rendering hi-poly models in wireframe view and instead it just wouldn't render.  That worked in the normal game but I had never tried it in FRED2.  FRED may do something different, or this is a new and unrelated issue.  I'm still working on getting the dynamic starfield code working in FRED properly so I'll test out the wireframe thing as I put the finishing touches on the starfield code.

Oh yeah, it happens a lot.
the limit is 6500 normals.

It dumps a warninr when loading a mission with a leviathan/fenris, saying that there are too many normals, then it sez that i there are 40 normals, capped to 0, and opens the misiion.

However, if a larger, more detailed ship is allso in the mission, it gives the warning message about too many normals and chrashes :(
and I think it did that alls owhen i turned on hte model display, not only in the wireframe. the only safe way to make missions is by havinh the view set to show only dots :(
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Ok - so what's the difference (in the optimized build) between the _d version and the _r version?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What about in FRED?
Actually, I was referring to the mipmap reduction in detail thing.  I've noticed that on builds since about 12/29, ships in FRED have a lower detail (at least in terms of mapping) than normal.  As I zoom in on some larger models, I can even just make out a line of texture detail changing.  It's like mipmaping is enabled by default for FRED, but the distance changes are different than the LOD settings are.  Is there a command line to disable mipmaping for FRED?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Actually, I was referring to the mipmap reduction in detail thing.  I've noticed that on builds since about 12/29, ships in FRED have a lower detail (at least in terms of mapping) than normal.  As I zoom in on some larger models, I can even just make out a line of texture detail changing.  It's like mipmaping is enabled by default for FRED, but the distance changes are different than the LOD settings are.  Is there a command line to disable mipmaping for FRED?
Mipmapping is enabled period, there is no way to disable it and I don't intend to implement one.  Mipmaps are also independant of LOD settings, they change automatically to match the geometry size.  You could even have multiple mipmap levels of the same texture being shown on the same ship.  Something like the Lucifer or other large ship, where you are viewing from one end down to the other, would end up using various mipmap levels all the way down the ship.  It may be using the detail settings wrong, in which case it would not use the full set of mipmaps and skip the highest detail version.  I'm not sure which detail setting that FRED uses and I don't think it's settable.  But the detail setting resize happens regardless of whether you use mipmaps or not.  It didn't before when using compressed DDS textures but that was a bug and is what has been fixed.

And are you using trilinear filtering?  If not then you would get a visible line of two different quality textures.  Trilinear blends it an extra time so that you get rid of that visible quality change.  That may be what you are seeing (or at least the most noticable part of the problem).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ok - so what's the difference (in the optimized build) between the _d version and the _r version?

_d is debug
_r is release

Debug includes all sorts of error checking, while Release is optimized.  Play with Release; report bugs with Debug.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Just a PITA request for SCP gurus ... ;7

Till Redmenace is "fully operational" again, can anyone of you "take his job" and compile the CVS version for programming nerds as myself?

Thank you in advance. I would like to check last bug corrections (as 691 Taylor's fix) and it seems there has been a lot of fixing lately...
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio