Author Topic: Silent Threat: Reborn  (Read 27709 times)

Originally posted by Riven
anybody else think the hades needs a new texture job? i thought it was a bit gareish.

It's been done hundreds of times. The best of course is the standard BlackFleet Mod. I hated the original texture, but now that I take a closer look, it does look a little cool.

Originally posted by PhReAk
...when the player disables the hades have 30 ursas jump with harbingers and pummel the hades...

I hope you were kidding! :wtf: Ursa's a very expensive and there's not that many available in this timeframe. It would be better to send in a couple of cruisers than that many Ursa's, which would eventually do the same job.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by LtNarol
A pair of helios does about 3% hull damage last i remember...thats pathetic.  If you ask me, they need to make a new weapon available for that mission and one that does a lot of damage.

You going to explain why we still don`t have that weapon in FS2 then? The Helios is the most powerful bomb in FS2 how on earth are the GTA going to have something more powerful in ST?

As for flying the bomber I finished the mission first time I played with an Ursa and I`m not that good a player :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
I always thought the Harbinger was a kind of nuke. Wasn't it reserved for planetary bombardment before the Ursa came into being? Surely it would have to be like a nuke for it to be used effectively for bombarding planets.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Pegasus V

I hope you were kidding! :wtf: Ursa's a very expensive and there's not that many available in this timeframe. It would be better to send in a couple of cruisers than that many Ursa's, which would eventually do the same job.

im not kidding.. i want to see explosions.  plus losing 30 ursas is less of a loss than a cruiser (30 people to about 300).

remember it doesn't have to make sense, we're dealing with command
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by PhReAk

plus losing 30 ursas is less of a loss than a cruiser (30 people to about 300).

not quite... remember when they introduced the "Ursa" in Freespace 1 they said it 'costs as much as a small moon'... sure maybe it doesn't have as many LIVES on board, but it's sure got a lot more expensive warheads and other sensitive electronic equipment :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Okay, here's an idea: have maybe 5-6 Fenrises jump in once the Hades is disabled to take care of it. You watch in horror as one is vaporized by the Hades main beam. Command orders you to take out the beam cannons and scan the weapons subsystem. Thus:
-More cruisers to pummel the Hades
-A demonstarion of its power
-How the GTVA acquired beam weaponry
-Another objective
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Now for somethig original. How about having a traitor (ops! I meant a PATRIOT!) on board the Hades who never turned disloyal to the GTVA and is disgusted by the evil that is now the SOC... At some point during the mission you get a partially garbled message,"To all GTVA forces, I have sabotaged the reactor core of the Hades... Focus all your attacks on the Engine room to make the unstable reactor go critical! Tell my wife......[Lost in static mixed with gunfire]...." At this point you have a time limit to disable the Hades main engine otherwise it warps out and they eventually repair the damage... If you destroy the main engine defore that time expires, the hades goes thru a slow death scene enabling a quick pilot to get the hell outta there before they go boom!!! (maybe a cutscene or the nextmission briefing could show the end of The Hades and congratulate you)...

Whaddya think???

Look out! Hades-Nova! :lol:

BLAH! I think you got in all wrong :wtf: GTVA never existed back then. I think you knew that, but you overlooked it anyway :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AqueousShadow

BLAH! I think you got in all wrong :wtf: GTVA never existed back then. I think you knew that, but you overlooked it anyway :rolleyes:

Not to mention the SOC. Back then it was the GTI...

Originally posted by Stealth

not quite... remember when they introduced the "Ursa" in Freespace 1 they said it 'costs as much as a small moon'... sure maybe it doesn't have as many LIVES on board, but it's sure got a lot more expensive warheads and other sensitive electronic equipment :D

Whats so expencive about a giant steel brick with a couple of nukes?
Can the reason that we fear the unknown be that we know ourselves too well?       -The Outer Limits

<*)}}}><  HAPPY FISHIE!!

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway

Not to mention the SOC. Back then it was the GTI...

:nod: Thanx for reminding me :D

Originally posted by demon442

Whats so expencive about a giant steel brick with a couple of nukes?

They're the biggest of their class, they are very manauverable compared to a cruiser, they have shields, they have high powered weaponry. And of course a big ass payload. All of these things, a cruiser does not have. They're like the Ferrari of the bombers. An expensive, special bomber.

I don't agree with you but I can't think of anything coherent to say.
Can the reason that we fear the unknown be that we know ourselves too well?       -The Outer Limits

<*)}}}><  HAPPY FISHIE!!

Originally posted by demon442

Maybe in FS2's timeline, it became pretty cheap. But in Silent Threat, it's a relatively new ship and new ships are pretty expensive.

You're right on both counts... I got to play Silent Threat ONCE! Right when it came out I hurried up and played it through, then put it on the shelf. FS2 came out and a 'friend' wanted to try it so I recommended he try FS1 first (and ST while he was at it.). I never got all my FS1 discs back, and the ST disc was scratched to hell and back. Needless to say he didn't get FS2 from me... So if I got the names wrong sorry :(

I thought it was a good idea... At least it was different. I was thinking of the colossus, when Bosch's (SP?) man threw a wrench into the beam system or whatever... (bad boy!) :devil:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Damn I forgot about the time compression (x4)!!!!! I hid and put a rubber band around the joystick while I made dinner... (Didn't we all?)

Nope, battery in the left control button...:D :D :D
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah I played through FS1 with a keyboard and mouse too.  That last mission in ST really sucked, though I can't remember it being all that difficult.  I generally go for capship weapons, and the lokis ignore the cruiser when it arrives, so I didn't have to do all that much of the work.

By the way, has anyone noticed that command gets about 5 orders of magnitude more idiotic after the GTVA was formed?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...

They're like the Ferrari of the bombers. An expensive, special bomber.

and they're also like the cadillac of bombers :D

couldn't resist :D :D :D :D ;) :p :)

c'mon demon, in the 'FS2' universe it may be cheap, but back then it was powerful, shielded (like Pegasus V mentioned, and did a very good job of it) electronics, sensors, radio, MANUEVERABILITY AND ENGINES, WARHEADS!!! VERY EXPENSIVE WARHEADS!!! :)

lol

also remember that this is all fiction, it's not real :)

Originally posted by Stealth
c'mon demon, in the 'FS2' universe it may be cheap, but back then it was powerful, shielded (like Pegasus V mentioned, and did a very good job of it) electronics, sensors, radio, MANUEVERABILITY AND ENGINES, WARHEADS!!! VERY EXPENSIVE WARHEADS!!! :)

Shields: i'll give you that one..
Electronics: Nothing out of the ordanary that I saw.
Sensors: Normal fighter sensors as far as i can tell.
Radio: Normal fighter comms.
Manuverability: What manuverability?  Put some fenris engines on that **** and you have a point.
Warheads:  Warheads come seperatly, if i remember correctly the gta used harbingers for planetary bombardment so the had to have been arround before the ursa.  If the harbinger came out with the ursa and had the ursa in mind during optimization you would have a point.

The real money spender is all the hull plating and subsystem reinforcement.

<*)}}}><  HAPPY FISHIE!!

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
The best part of the ST CD was the Destiny of Peace Campaign that came with it.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes