Author Topic: The Blue Planet build repository  (Read 39923 times)

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Re: The Blue Planet build repository
Man, all this for nothing.  I started compiling my own builds when I was hit with an error.  I don't remember the exact words, but basically Visual Studio 2013 doesn't support MCBS (multibyte character set (MBCS) version of the Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) Library).  They apparently "removed" it because they thought it was getting old.  They offer it as a separate download but unfortunately it doesn't support the Express version, which is what I use.  So until I get the professional version of Visual Studio I guess I can't compile builds :(  .  I don't like Eclipse as I think it's too complicated (I use NetBeans instead).  So yeah, sucks.

Hmm, maybe I might compile this at a place I know still carries Visual Studio 2010 professional.  Yeah, I might give that a try :)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You only need MFC (and therefore that patch) for FRED building, which express can't do because it has no MFC at all.  FS2_Open should build fine with Express.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MachManX

Well I followed the Master Sticky exactly as written.  When I opened the Freespace.sln project file, Fred 2 was in there but was unchecked.  I assume the creator of that project intended for it to be like that.  And yet I still got the error saying I needed MFC.

Because I LOVVVE Freespace 2 so much, I'll do it again.  Made a copy of the FS2_open folder and put the copy in a different drive.  Then I patched it with BP and yarn patches (the yarn patch only changes the hud).  Then I opened Freespace2.sln in Visual Studio Express 2013.  Changed the Freespace 2 properties -> Configuration -> Debugging -> Command to $(FS2PATH)\$(TargetFileName) .  Chose "Debug SSE2" in that drop down menu (I wondered about this one but thought eh, might as well patch whatever my system is capable of patching).  Finally pressed F7 to build.

And there it is.  Wow, I didn't read the line properly in Zacam's master sticky that said this: "In the last line you will see outcome of your build. Normally you will see one failed because Visual Studio Express cannot compile fred2_open. This is fine and we can continue."  :banghead:  Well, I guess my compile was successful after all :D  I was waiting for the line "========== Build: 6 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========".  What happened was that the Error List popped on top of the Output window, and I didn't realize that until right just now.  Anyway, my error list:-

Warning   1   warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'int' to 'ushort', possible loss of data   c:\fs2_open_bpyarn\code\network\multi_options.cpp   202   1   code

Error   2   error MSB8031: Building an MFC project for a non-Unicode character set is deprecated. You must change the project property to Unicode or download an additional library. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=286820 for more information.   C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets   369   5   Fred2

Warning   3   warning D9030: '/Gm' is incompatible with multiprocessing; ignoring /MP switch   C:\fs2_open_bpyarn\projects\MSVC_2013\cl   Freespace2

Heh, the warnings don't matter since one is for multiplayer and the other is multiprocessing.  And the error is in fact the Fred 2 thing.  Ok, feeling good.  Thanks for the kick in the rear end, Chief  :yes:

BTW, I can rename the generated exe files and it won't affect them, right?  I'm just wondering how I'd do that in Visual Studio.  I've only programmed, this is the first time I've built an exe for something.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:53:34 pm by MachManX »
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
To save yourself trouble, instead of doing 'build solution' I would just build the fs2 project, which will still build all the dependencies first.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MachManX

Ah, good advice.  I thought it would automatically do that because Fred2 is unchecked in the project dependencies.  But I guess I have to right-click Freespace2 and build it.  Good to know.

So after long last, here's the link to the builds I've compiled using the latest trunks as of this afternoon + BP Patch + Yarn's Adaptable Hud.  Plzzzzzzz tell me if my compilations worked or not.  I haven't tested them yet.  BTW, the zip file has the name Yarn in it but not the .exe files.  I wasn't sure if it would affect functionality, but I don't think it will.  Also I didn't do AVX versions because I didn't know what kind of effect a non-AVX processor would have on the builds and since this does native compiling I was thinking it's gonna fail.  Anyway, link:- http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/37886302/file.html

BTW, this is revision 10143, and I just checked and the Chief released 10144, LOL!  (The Chief is secretly laughing :) )  I guess I'll release another one when I get back, which will be in a few hours :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:44:39 pm by MachManX »
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p

The E, when you have some free time, can you please update the BP builds using latest trunk for compatibility with the 2014 MVP's?  Thanks.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The E, when you have some free time, can you please update the BP builds using latest trunk for compatibility with the 2014 MVP's?  Thanks.

Done.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
The 14122013 FRED builds completely freeze my system on launch (both AVX and SSE2). I had to do a hard reset.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Hellzed

I was getting frustrated by the lack of reflections while using BP Compat VP files with a trunk svn build, so I finally built my own Blue Planet binary...
I am running Ubuntu 13.10 amd64, with proprietary drivers nvidia-331, latest xorg from xorg-edgers repository. My harware consists of an Intel Core I7 3630QM, nvidia GT 740 M, 6Go RAM.

I applied the latest BP patch to trunk r10253. Mostly a clean process (a few offsets in main code files, failures only in "msvcproj" files, no worries for me).
The command line I used :
Code: [Select]
./autogen.sh CC=/usr/bin/clang CXX=/usr/bin/clang++ CFLAGS="-march=corei7-avx -O2 -pipe" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
make
By the way, compile with LLVM CLANG if fast. Way faster than GCC. The final binary is only 5.2Mo, and I'm under the impression it runs much better than any other build I tried before (even using AVX with GCC), with faster loading times and better fps.

Everything runs fine : constant 60fps in Delenda Est ! Nice reflections on models, including engine glows, gunfire...
But I have some strange grphical glitches on capital ships name plates.

According to wxlauncher, my launch flags are :
Code: [Select]
-mod blueplanet2,blueplanet,mediavps_3612 -missile_lighting -3dshockwave -post_process
-fxaa -dualscanlines -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d
-snd_preload -fb_explosions -fps -window -nograb -keyboard_layout "azerty" -spec_point
Here are some screenshots : (look closely at the forward name plate of the Indus, first screenshot; then the UEF flag, still on the Indus, second screenshot)
Can you confirm everything else looks fine ? (3rd screenshot, not sure about the engines)

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:57:04 am by Hellzed »

Offline Echelon9

The E, do you mind reminding me which constituent patches make up the BP.patch?

I understand there may be shadows + further Swifty/Valathil changes that are under review elsewhere on the forums.

I'm sure you'd appreciate that moving towards a scenario where all those changes are reviewed and in trunk builds would greatly reduce the support burden. I recall that we had the Diaspora-specific changes in trunk fairly soon after release, simplifying subsequent patches/features.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:17:00 pm by Echelon9 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right now, only Valathil's shadow set is in there. I would love to use Swifty's code for this, but it's in a github repo based on a comparatively ancient trunk checkout (Not our official one), and extracting the patch from there proves difficult.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hellzed

Any idea about the name plates issue ?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
(By the way, on a completely different issue, any idea on what this could be ?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83318.msg1725941#msg1725941 )

Sorry, I really don't know much about OpenGL.  The nameplate issue looks vaguely like a transparency problem, but I don't have an idea of how to fix it.  Or even what to look for in the nameplate rendering code.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Hellzed

Are these BP build specific bugs accepted in the main SCP Mantis ?

Offline Echelon9

We're usually happy to look at it. It would be better received (read easier to reproduce) if you can also demonstrate simple steps to have the bug occur with mediavp assets.

Otherwise, be as detailed as possible in the steps required, what to look for and the anticipated outcome.

Offline Hellzed

Bug filed here : http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2990

I think I found a bug in the bugtracker : my first attachment was too big, so it sent me to an error page, but the bug was still filed: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2989
Could you please delete report 2889 ?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:20:22 am by Hellzed »

Offline Echelon9

Duplicate bug closed.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Would a newly trunk-synched build allow 2014MVP compatibility, or is there some other differing element that's causing the incompatibility?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kolgena

Sorry to jump in this thread but I have a very weird issue with these builds.  :banghead:
Glowpoint overrides on AoA ships don't seem to work while playing with WiH. They work only when selected with AoA.
But they work on the original builds.  :wtf:

Does this happen for other people too? Or is it a issue on my end? Can someone confirm this?

Uh, I realize this is almost a bit of a necro, but did this ever get resolved? I'm getting a similar issue. Aside from the naranya prefit (and maybe the solaris, can't remember), no UEF fighters or frigates have glowpoint lights.

Edit: Being a noob. The radar icons table I made myself was overwriting the glowpoint overrides derp.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:18:40 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Would a newly trunk-synched build allow 2014MVP compatibility, or is there some other differing element that's causing the incompatibility?

I'm using the current BP AVX build from this thread and playing WIH with the 2014MVPs without any problems.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.