Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn  (Read 219726 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn
As long as you can laugh, you are not defeated.

Or, put another way, if you don't joke you crack and go all PTSD thousand-yard stare and are no good to anybody.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
instead of trying to J-pop their socks off.

I was sincerely expecting at least the final mission to have a J-pop BGM, but Spoon didn't.
I restrained myself  :p :lol:

Quote from: ubbiout
and spoon: I LIKE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Good to hear  :)

Quote from: Switch
I just played Axem's mission, it's impeccable, reminds me that I need to actually get around to playing his Vassago campaign
You should  :nod:
(And Blue Planet too if you haven't already)
Unfortunately I don't know how to resolve the crashes you experience in M16. That mission has given me crashes in the past but those were collision related and went away after I fiddeled around with the asteroid field and jump in locations. Your crash is particle/bitmap related and is something I haven't run into myself so far. Perhaps it is related to linux, but that is just a wild guess on my part.
The only advice I can give you is to get yourself killed in that mission 5 times in a row and select the option to skip this mission and continue to the next. :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Darius

Jolly jalopies this is so much fun :) :) :) Started playing a couple of days ago and haven't finished, but what I've played so far has been great.

I'm also reminded of Sekai no Monshou, which is my favourite space anime (some of the LSF ship aesthetics remind me of Abh designs; and of course, space elves :P)

I'll continue to savour this over the next few days...

Offline kir2yar

Game crached after i click on the "tech" button (in main menu)

Code: [Select]
Unrecognized command line parameter "-bloom".  Ignoring...
Future debug output directed to: /home/yar/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log
WARNING: "Mission: Exams-M02 has a 1024x768 loading screen but no 640x480 loading screen!" at mission/missionparse.cpp:685
WARNING: "Mission: Exams-M02 has a 1024x768 loading screen but no 640x480 loading screen!" at mission/missionparse.cpp:685
WARNING: "Mission: Meet your guardian angel-MO3a has a 1024x768 loading screen but no 640x480 loading screen!" at mission/missionparse.cpp:685
WARNING: "Mission: Meet your guardian angel-MO3a has a 1024x768 loading screen but no 640x480 loading screen!" at mission/missionparse.cpp:685
ASSERTION FAILED: "(bm_bitmaps[n].handle == bitmapnum)" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:2052  bitmapnum = 56, n = 56, bm_bitmaps[n].handle = 90306
Future debug output directed to: /home/yar/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log
ASSERTION FAILED: "(bm_bitmaps[n].handle == bitmapnum)" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:2052  bitmapnum = 24, n = 24, bm_bitmaps[n].handle = 90274

Edit: Second try

ANI cursor.ani with size 24x24 (25.0% wasted)
Got event GS_EVENT_MAIN_MENU (0) in state GS_STATE_INITIAL_PLAYER_SELECT (37)
WARNING!, Could not load door anim 2_Exit in main hall
WARNING!, Could not load door anim 2_Pilot in main hall
WARNING!, Could not load door anim 2_Continue in main hall
WARNING!, Could not load door anim 2_Tech in main hall
WARNING!, Could not load door anim 2_Option in main hall
WARNING!, Could not load door anim 2_Campaign in main hall
Got event GS_EVENT_TECH_MENU (11) in state GS_STATE_MAIN_MENU (1)
Techroom successfully initialized, now changing tab...
Loading model 'Ray.pof'
ASSERTION: "(bm_bitmaps[n].handle == bitmapnum)" at bmpman.cpp:2052  bitmapnum = 1, n = 1, bm_bitmaps[n].handle = 484501

[attachment deleted by ninja]
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
First, disable the following flags:

-clientdamage
  -mipmap
  -img2dds
  -ingame_join
  -noibx
  -safeloading

None of them are necessary, and may in fact make things worse.

Second, please create a new text file in FS2\data. Name it "debug_filter.cfg". Paste the following text into it:

+General
+BmpMan
-parse
+BMP DEBUG

Then run the debug build again, and post the log generated.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline kir2yar

Done.

Also I had a crash during the second mission, but I could not repeat it with the debug output. :(

Edit:
By the way, the probability of crach in techroom approximately 50%. From time to time it works fine. Sometimes it crashes the first time. Sometimes it crashes the fourth time.

Edit2:
Do not know if this information is helpful, but just in case:

yar@yar:~/.fs2_open/data$ uname -a
Linux yar 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 06:07:29 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

yar@yar:~/.fs2_open/data$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS \n \l

NVidia driver: 195.36.24
GPU: GeForce 7600 GT

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:23:20 am by kir2yar »
I use Google Translator.

So this is probably the only mission pack for FS2 that has me playing ridiculously difficult missions over and over again.

Spoiler:
Like the mission where you got to destroy the cordi motherships from the inside... I must've replayed that thing at least 10 times, trying to get at least 4 of them... :P

Or the final mission... my goodness that was frustrating, but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to skip it. Must say something about the story there, that I didn't want to miss something

Story wise, being a closet anime fan I was utterly engrossed by this. I just couldn't put it down. It was fun and exiting and new... with equally cheesy but lovable dialogue. To say that this project is amazing for a 1 man show is huge understatement. Some of the models may be low detail, some may be even be a bit rough around the edges. I honestly didn't care. Wonderful work mate, I love every minute of this mission set. Also had no issues (aside from a few spelling errors that did not distract from the meaning at all). No technical problems at all.

Spoiler:
Flying inside ships is awesome... now if only we could get Descent's control scheme to work, then I'd be in my element... FS2's current adaption is a bit iffy when it comes to navigating those tight spaces. Must be able to slide, go forward, and bank all at once!!!

Offline -Norbert-

FS2's current adaption is a bit iffy when it comes to navigating those tight spaces. Must be able to slide, go forward, and bank all at once!!!

You can (provided the ship can do all those things, like the Aestival - or however that Cyrva fighter is spelled). For example I have the lateral thrust put on the coolie-hat of my joystick and glide-while-pressed on another joystick button. And the acelerate/deceleate and afterburner on the keyboard for my left hand.
Though I can't really compare it to Descent, since I never played any of them.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Spoiler:
[06:17:31] <DarthGeek|WoD> just tried to disable some cordi motherships if you know what I mean
[06:17:37] <SDM> :o
[06:17:39] <DarthGeek|WoD> Got 6 down to 1% reactor
[06:17:51] <DarthGeek|WoD> so I could take each down with 1 shot
[06:18:05] <DarthGeek|WoD> still only managed 4 before "Oh crap I'd better get out of here"
[06:18:10] <SDM> Oh. Turns out I didn't know what you meant.
[06:18:16] <DarthGeek|WoD> jeex those Cordi ships are made of paper
[06:18:20] <DarthGeek|WoD> jeez*
[06:18:31] <SDM> Eh, I'll continue my little project.
[06:18:47] <DarthGeek|WoD> um... I should have warned about the spoiler shouldn't I
[06:18:53] <DarthGeek|WoD> :/

FRAKKING CORDI FIGHTERS SUCKSORZ

Also... in the fighter disabling mission a la "Enter the Dragon", I was almost literally rofling upon hearing the HLPers attack the convoy. "Aardwolf: derp" indeed...

I keep getting messages like these when I  continue the campaign, before getting to the briefings.  Generally i just click ok on the message (rather than no or cancel) and they go away and let me play.  Some times there will be as many as ten of them before getting to the briefing.

Mission: Pockets of resistance-MO5
has a 1024x768 loading screen but no 640x480 loading screen!
ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! Warning + 430 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! parse_mission_info + 2772 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! get_mission_info + 327 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_start_mission + 89 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_enter_state + 482 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_process_event + 242 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

or

Invalid subobj_num or model_num in subsystem 'gunturret-18' on ship type 'Cordi Mothership'.
Not linking into ship!

(This warning means that a subsystem was present in the table entry and not present in the model
it should probably be removed from the table or added to the model.)

ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! subsys_set + 276 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! ship_set + 2208 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! ship_create + 1151 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! parse_create_object_sub + 77 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! parse_create_object + 193 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! mission_parse_maybe_create_parse_object + 390 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! post_process_ships_wings + 93 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! post_process_mission + 49 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! parse_mission + 1531 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! parse_main + 449 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! mission_load + 215 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_start_mission + 198 bytes

and

Ship 'Cordi Mothership' does not have subsystem 'gunturret-17' linked into the model file, 'Cordimothership.pof'.
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! ship_page_in + 2371 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! level_page_in + 48 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! freespace_mission_load_stuff + 206 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_post_level_init + 182 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_start_mission + 387 bytes

When it lets me play, though, the mod is very fun.

I just noticed the earlier post.  Very sorry.  Great game.  Fast service.  Awesome.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:19:46 pm by MaxFreeSpace »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Use a R build (fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2.exe), not a D(ebug) build to play

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why do so many people play with debug builds? :/
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline kir2yar

Why do so many people play with debug builds? :/

Just forget swich to regular build.
I use Google Translator.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Well, I finished it. A good plot with fairly interesting writing (although some of the dialogue just seemed a bit cheesy). Good visuals- excellent weapon effects (EXPLOSIONS!), good models (only models I actually didn't like were the LSF ones. Too shiny, and I'm spoiled by HTL goodness from BP), and an interesting background universe. I like the idea of having several species rather than just a few, and it was really well-executed, although it fell into Planet of Hats territory on a few occasions (still much less than is typical). The gameplay was good and well-balanced except for the insane last mission.

WRITING (7/10)

The plot was engaging, interesting and well-executed. I liked the characters- not many of them were fully developed, but some were quite well developed and had me feeling as if I were actually flying with characters rather than blips on a radar. The only thing I can say I don't like in this department was, as I said before, some cheesy over-excited dialogue in a few places. It seems to me that fighting a losing war against an overpowered enemy and their various battle thralls (had to look that one up btw) lends itself more to a grim outlook than a "happy-go-lucky" bunch of characters like Mizusu and Crystal.  Even so, the characters were believable, and I could look past the rose-tinted glasses they all seemed to be looking through to a dynamic group of well-developed characters.

GAMEPLAY (6.5/10)

I'll be a bit harsh here: missiles are completely and utterly useless. Swarm missiles track a bunch of targets I don't want them to, often (read: nearly always) miss, and are too slow to reasonably chase most smaller craft. I never got a good feel for any of the individual primaries, so I usually just ended up picking them on loadout descriptions alone.

The Ray was a good all-around fighter that I used in a similar fashion to the Perseus. The other available fighters I didn't use much since I was already comfortable with the Ray. That one other fighter- the one you use in
Spoiler:
the mission where you rescue the Corvi Queen
is rediculously maneuverable to the point of being impossible to manage. If I were still using keyboard controls rather than kb & mouse, it would have been impossible to manage.

Other than that, most balancing was well-done. I liked the tactic of going beneath capship shields to attack them.

EXECUTION (8/10)

I'll be serious here: I've never really gotten into anime or anime-styled writing. The first description I heard of WoD was, in fact, along the lines of "anime-like TC in an original universe", and that led me to believe I wouldn't end up liking it. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not just some anime campaign, and although it invokes or plays around with most of the typical anime tropes, it's still an epic FreeSpace campaign in its own right.

OTHER THAN THAT... (11/10)

What really impresses me about WoD is not the campaign itself but what it represents. First off, it's a completely original universe using very few FS assets. No other major campaign to date can make this claim (still waiting for End Project :p). Second, it's a one-man effort on several fronts- effect creation, model creation, tabling/balance, story creation and mission design. Everything necessary for a good campaign was handled excellently by a single person. It's an excellent reminder of the fact that good campaigns certainly don't need to come from giant faceless teams of FREDders contributing to an SVN.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks for the review  :)

You are like the third person to say that missiles are useless.
I honestly don't get this, imho missiles in WoD are pretty much all very useful (in contrast with Freespace where only the treb and tempest are of any real use). Use DASM-1's against Cordi. A few well placed volley's of SMHS-15's when jousting toward the enemy can thin out 2-3 enemies before the close range fuzzball begins. A DRG-1LI can take out a whole wing of Sweepers with one hit.
Sounds to me like you people are just using them wrong  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Thanks for the review  :)

You are like the third person to say that missiles are useless.
I honestly don't get this, imho missiles in WoD are pretty much all very useful (in contrast with Freespace where only the treb and tempest are of any real use). Use DASM-1's against Cordi. A few well placed volley's of SMHS-15's when jousting toward the enemy can thin out 2-3 enemies before the close range fuzzball begins. A DRG-1LI can take out a whole wing of Sweepers with one hit.
Sounds to me like you people are just using them wrong  :p

This missile hate is confusing me too, I found them very useful in the big dogfights.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I honestly don't get this, imho missiles in WoD are pretty much all very useful (in contrast with Freespace where only the treb and tempest are of any real use).

Yes because all of us using Harpoons are horrible people your honor. :P Get with the program!

Use DASM-1's against Cordi. A few well placed volley's of SMHS-15's when jousting toward the enemy can thin out 2-3 enemies before the close range fuzzball begins.

I've tried both; the guided weapons are ridiculously ineffective and superior only to guns because it's actually easier to lock a Cordi ship then to bring guns on target and must still be spammed out in ten-missile volleys (remember, they fire two at a time) to have a chance of killing a target. The unguided weapons are hilarously useless (like all missiles) against Nordie ships, who are the only ones you're actually going to hit with them, and unguided missiles against Cordi is a hilarously bad idea when they're already almost impossible to use. The IT-AN-0s are probably the most useful missiles in the game, perversely. Even Infi's missiles aren't that good against any target that you can employ them against. I spammed out my entire load in the Infi-v-20 and killed maybe three hostiles with it. That's awful.

The only missile worth a damn is the cluster, and only against Cordi ships. It's merely adequate if you squint hard against Sweepers or Zy stuff and, well, Nordies will just giggle at it like they do every other.

A DRG-1LI can take out a whole wing of Sweepers with one hit).

There's no place in the whole game to demonstrate this. By the time you encounter Sweepers in their debut mission for the Dragon Slave (i c wat u did thar) you're already too busy dogfighting Nordies to come off-target long enough to test it. You may not even realize there are Sweepers in the area before the merge and then firing one would be stupid.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There's no place in the whole game to demonstrate this. By the time you encounter Sweepers in their debut mission for the Dragon Slave (i c wat u did thar) you're already too busy dogfighting Nordies to come off-target long enough to test it. You may not even realize there are Sweepers in the area before the merge and then firing one would be stupid.

no

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quote from: NGTM-1R
Yes because all of us using Harpoons are horrible people your honor. :p Get with the program!
Its not my fault you people want to use an inferior missile that hardly hits anything  :p

The mission after that has a few excellent cases to show it off though

I've tried both; the guided weapons are ridiculously ineffective and superior only to guns because it's actually easier to lock a Cordi ship then to bring guns on target and must still be spammed out in ten-missile volleys (remember, they fire two at a time) to have a chance of killing a target. The unguided weapons are hilarously useless (like all missiles) against Nordie ships, who are the only ones you're actually going to hit with them, and unguided missiles against Cordi is a hilarously bad idea when they're already almost impossible to use. The IT-AN-0s are probably the most useful missiles in the game, perversely. Even Infi's missiles aren't that good against any target that you can employ them against. I spammed out my entire load in the Infi-v-20 and killed maybe three hostiles with it. That's awful.
It's all a matter of how you deploy them. I've seen a double fired SMHS-15 volley destroy 3 Soldiers at once. The DASM-1 is exactly that, a spammable missile that helps nail hard targets.
The HEDR-3 deals an absurd 250(+40 shockwave) damage to both shields and hull and will knock a Nordera off course (and thus, it is spending its time Not shooting you :P ). When dual fired (4 rockets) and all missiles hit the target, it deals over 2000 damage (which is the total of a Zy fighter's shield) on a target which is not Nordera. It also has a higher velocity than the FS2 tempest.
The Dragonslave (you all see what I did thar :p ) only deals 10% of its damage to you and your allies, shooting one in close range is not that bad of an idea really.
Urutorahappī!!