Author Topic: Playing with a mate who have a different version  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Kesho88

Playing with a mate who have a different version
Hi there,

I have a big problem to solve now. A mate from Newsealand and me (from Germany) wanted to play FreeSpace 2 SCP together. Everything worked until we started the game. The client player always get a gamecrash. When he is the host I crash right before the mission starts, and when I am the host, he crashed right before the mission starts. Is this problem solveable?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Playing with a mate who have a different version
You'll need to make sure that everyone involved runs the same version of the executable, i.e. 3.6.10 RC2 for everyone. Also, make sure that either everyone or noone uses an Inferno build.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kesho88

What is an Infernobuild? Thank you for your help btw. Well He has the 3.6.10 RC2 and I have fs2_open_3_6_10r-20081210_r4989.exe. So its me who is the problem I guess.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep, pretty much. There were some changes between revision 4989 and what has become RC2 that irrevocably broke multiplayer compatibility, so you'll need to upgrade.
An Inferno build is a special build with an enhanced ship limit (meaning you can have more than 100(?) different ship types.). TBP uses it to accommodate most of the ships that were seen in the series, for example. IIRC, they are incompatible with standard builds in Multiplayer.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Inferno builds are definitely incompatible. One of the packets they send is completely different from the ones used by non-inferno builds.

However this isn't a huge problem because Inferno and non-Inferno builds can't see each other.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kesho88

This Release Candidate 2 exe is crap! My game doesn't start anymore! It says: Failed to create the command recognition text...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Easy with the swear words, there. In the Launcher, under Features, select "Experimental". Make sure Voice recognition is turned off. If that doesn't wok, select a debug build in the Launcher, run it, then post the fs2_open.log file that is in your <FreeSpace folder>\data\ folder.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:14:23 am by The E »

Offline Kesho88

Wow, I eat my words referred to this new exe data, thank you ^^

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Just to clarify not only is r4989 through RC1 not compatible with older builds but RC2 is only compatible with RC2 and anything built with the RC2 and above codebase.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hopefully there won't be any more multiplayer changes before 3.6.10 final but you should always update to the latest RCx build from here on out, until the final is released.  Updating is good.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays