Author Topic: RELEASE: Flames of War - Coming of the Storm  (Read 70068 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: RELEASE: Flames of War - Coming of the Storm
Well managed to get out of that one by just advance to the next mission option you get once you fail a mission 5 times !

But now im stuck on a mission where you have to scand the 3 subsistems on the destroyer i can scan 2 of them but the 3'rd is imposible. The whole middle section of the ship is missing or rather its textures. I can target the subsistem and i get withing the required distance from it but no luck on scanning.

And if i jump out at the node i get the same mission to play all over again . No debriefing no nothing.

any solution ??
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

when I start the trailblazers mission it goes to the breifing and then it freezes and just crashes on me why is that please help me
This. 

I just downloaded the campaign today, so I presume the files are about as up to date as they're going to get.  My nightly build isn't the latest, but it's newer than the campaign. 

Also, Trashman's spelling is terrible.   :p  And why do the fighters' secondary bank capacities all suck?  I want my Herc II back; it can carry a decent number of missiles.   :lol:
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its useless i cant get past Into the Malestrom. I have the latest media vp's  i have the laatest build i have all the folders and files set up as someone pointed out above. In fact i already had them that way on a hunch !

Im still getting missing textures on the HOL destroyers and i still can not scan the weapons subsistem.

If i go to the node and jump out i just get back to the briefing and such of the mission. I dont get any debriefing no nothing.

So something must be very wrong. If anyone can figure out how to fix the missing textures thing and stuff please let me know.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Really don't know what could be causing the missing textres...the mission plays fine for me. I'll look into it.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Sooooo, is there an answer to the Trailblazers briefing crash or not?  I'm having the same problem on a mission in Homesick.
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re-try?

That mission sometimes crashes on me too, but re-trying it seems to work. It has something to do with the briefing, but I don't know why.

Re-try?

That mission sometimes crashes on me too, but re-trying it seems to work. It has something to do with the briefing, but I don't know why.
I have retried it multiple times.  The result is always the same.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hm...I cna try removing the briefing display for that mission entirely, leaving only text. Maybe that would help you.

Also, I think I know what may be causing the missing texture on the HoL destroyer. Media VP's has been changing some texture names, switching for TextureName a,b,c to just TextureName and using mipmaps. Given that the weapons subsystem is located on hte belly, where capital-03a texture is used, that might be causing hte problem. In that case, fixing it should be as easy as opening the ship in PCS2 and re-naming hte texture by removing the "a".

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Allright, I've been doing a little checking and the reason the hybrid is missing some textures are the newest Media VP's. Capital03-2 03-04 and 03-05 don't show up.

Fixing it is as simple as extracting the 3 maps (with their normal and shine variants) from the mediavps .VP into the FOW_COTS/Data/maps folder.

I'll provide a fix very soon, for that and every other problem reported here.
For the Trailblaizers mission I'll add a extra copy of the mission that has no briefing - that should allow anyone having problems with it to play normally by just replacing the mission.

For the Crippling Blow mission I'll add a break-warp sexp to make sure the player can't jump out. Crude, but simple.

I'll also upload high Max's fixes to FOW1 missions.

EDIT: Maxes mission fixes for FOW: chapter 1 uploaded on freeespacemods.

Below is the noBrief trailblazers mission for those who have trouble with the mission. Just replace this with he old mission (don't forget to re-name)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:59:28 am by TrashMan »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
To clarify again, Chapzter 1, 2, 3 and redundant and old names.

FOW: Sons of Thunder  - initially envisioned as Chapter 1, this is the first campaign I made

FOW: Pirate wars - this is supposed to be Chatper 2. Was never made. The 3 Gate missions were supposed to be the end of this chapter

FOW: Coming of the Storm - first part of what was initially supposed to be Chapter 3, but was split in two. Completed recently.
FOW: Dawn of the Apocalypse  - second part of what used to be Chapter 3. Planned, 2 missions were done for it some time ago. On hold. And yes, shivans get new ships.

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
Damn i hate people who sets cheats on the enemy...( no offence ;))
wtf is with unlimited afterburners for enemy fighter hm?
pls explain me that idea
FS is not quakeish or unrealish turnamentish  arcade shooter in my opinion...
i like complex history like in the books like in rpg by bioware/black isle  like in freespace retail campaign...
pls dont make campaigns for arcade gamers so often ok?
Thx for this one but im not enjoing it because is hard to me as hell...
i want know what happens next after mission but im dead :]
wingmans too...
and enemy fighters fly around debris of my task force like nothing happened

Thx for advice or dunno, something to chill me out hehe

Edit:
Second mission...
where i must destroy pirates convoy...
im a undercommand and dont have control  over my wingmans
f*** they destroy every one, then im getting destroy by beams of that PC Tetelouze of course when im trying destroy shes beams

There is a bug, or it is normal - my wingmans are so week, they die about 2 min since mission starts
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:56:40 pm by utops »
What if ?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Damn i hate people who sets cheats on the enemy...( no offence ;))
wtf is with unlimited afterburners for enemy fighter hm?
pls explain me that idea

What unlimited afterburners?

Second mission...
where i must destroy pirates convoy...
im a undercommand and dont have control  over my wingmans
f*** they destroy every one, then im getting destroy by beams of that PC Tetelouze of course when im trying destroy shes beams

TAG missiles are a must. You wingmen ignore any ship you tag. So tag the freighters you want to escape

Offline utops

Quote from: TrashMan

What unlimited afterburners?

Pirates fighters constantly use "NITRO" and they are fast as roadrunner from WB cartoons...
yeah i feel like Wile E. Coyote
and they extremly maneuverable
maybe not my skill league.. or something, but first time in my FS experience i saw AI fighters with that kind  crazy skills  :eek: 
What if ?

problem is, you don't hit them, because they can stay about 2000 meters away at all times.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline utops

Ok thx for tips but i must grow up for this campaign style... :]
Now i get only anoyed when i try to play this one
cheers !
What if ?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
IIRC, I reduced their afterburner capacity some time ago. They should be nimble and a real pest (as pirates really are) but not THAT bad. Strange...could you check the table values for their fighters afterburner and post them here? I want to compare them with the ones I got.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Got them. I'll look them over and then upload them to Freespacemods.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Uploaded the Fix to freespacemods.net

I also added you to the credits ;)

Offline est1895

Hello. I am still not able to play this mod and still get the same error it first had in the beginning. :confused:

I opened all 3 files and went into each data folder, and maually pasted all the subfolders into FOW_COTS/data folder under Freespace 2. But, FOW_COTS1 has model folder that is extra and FOW_COTS2 has interface folder that is extra. So those 2 subfolders were not copied and pasted.  In the C:\Games\Freespace2\FOW_COTS\Data looks just like the one on your page but, there is no cache folder. I cannot find a cache folder at all, to copy and paste. Am I suppost to overwrite the 2 extra folders? And do you know where the cache folder is? :confused: :shaking:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:46:36 pm by Jeff Vader »

Offline GrrCarl

Short review:
Loved it! Especially the new ships. Orion mkII = <3

And the GTB claymore, was like flying a small freighter or gunboat lol. Awesome. The Falcon is also a great ship, though I found myself in the Perseus DH whenever I had the chance. The Ares mkIII and the Ezechiel (sp?) felt a little weak. A lot of gunpoints, but not enough juice to power them. Not enough speed, manouverability or armor to make up for that either I felt. They look beautiful, though. :)

The weapons were cool and a breath of fresh air as well, esp the Avenger mkII. Even I can hit stuff with that thing, hehe. Spray & pray in Freespace. ;) Liked the dumbfire bombs and the power of the new fire and forget missiles also. Death laser was super easy for accuracy, but drained a lot of power. I noticed the AI didn't quite understand its range either, as they kept firing it from 6km away and draining their power with no chance of hitting their target. Minor stuff though really, a lot of choices in primary and secondary weapons! Due to loadout I was using the Thunderstorm most of the time, and found it a decently balanced power/damage weapon, also the "projectiles" were fast moving and thus made it easy to hit the target.

Long and pretty cool campaign, with a nice cliffhanger at the end! Most missions were great in balance, although I felt the last mission was a little too short and easy (destroying the Prophecy), sort of an anti-climax to such a great buildup with the storyline. To be fair though, I was playing on easy. I usually play on Medium, but after being blown to smithereens during the first few missions so many times I gave up and thought **** it, I'm gonna enjoy the new ships and weapons and blow stuff up, so I put it on Easy. I had to replay several missions on Easy anyway, hehe (yes I suck, what can you do) :)

So... In fear of sounding like a 14yo youtube commenter:

MOAR PLZ!

:yes: