Author Topic: RELEASE: Flames of War - Coming of the Storm  (Read 70025 times)

Re: RELEASE: Flames of War - Coming of the Storm
Well, I'm using the latest version of the mediavps, 3.6.10, and the latest nightly build - build 5024 - I recently did a bumper update since I stopped playing FS2 for a while and started again a few days ago.

EDIT: TrashMan, I've just tried it with the 4989 nightly build, the the crash problem appears to be gone. Apparently I just needed a downgrade.

EDIT2: I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I'd just like to be sure. Basically, in the Red Alert mission after trailblazers, I'm changed from a Thunderbolt bomber (plus whatever ammo it's carrying) to a Perseus DH with 2 empty Rockeye missile slots and 2 Gurthang HL-R9 in the primary slots. Since it's a Red Alert mission I would've thought you'd stay with your Thunderbolt bomber or whatever craft+loadout you had in the mission "Trailblazers".
P.S. Happened in both original version and in Macfie's edited/fixed mission files (which I downloaded to fix a bug where entering the briefing for the "Trailblazers" mission caused FS2 to crash).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:04:59 am by BustRobot »

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
The edited version I posted has the mission 19 fix already included.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thx 4 help =)

Your campaign was beautiful! I'm already waiting for the sequel :D

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
EDIT2: I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I'd just like to be sure. Basically, in the Red Alert mission after trailblazers, I'm changed from a Thunderbolt bomber (plus whatever ammo it's carrying) to a Perseus DH with 2 empty Rockeye missile slots and 2 Gurthang HL-R9 in the primary slots. Since it's a Red Alert mission I would've thought you'd stay with your Thunderbolt bomber or whatever craft+loadout you had in the mission "Trailblazers".
P.S. Happened in both original version and in Macfie's edited/fixed mission files (which I downloaded to fix a bug where entering the briefing for the "Trailblazers" mission caused FS2 to crash).

I thought I fixed that ages ago... :wtf:

Let me check. You should remain in the Thunderbolt.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Thx 4 help =)

Your campaign was beautiful! I'm already waiting for the sequel :D

There's a second Flames of War campaign out there already if you're ready for a prequel. Though dunno if they're connected in any way.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
they are conected. You might run into some familiar characters or references.

Oh, I checked my files. I found nothing wrong with the missions - you should keep your Thunderbolt. Dunno what could possibly be wrong :P

Ah, no worries, it's not as is that little bug is game-crippling, just means I don't have any bombs to blow up cap ships with.

So should we be using the fixed mission files Macfie posted, or has the FOW COTS C file been updated with all the fixes?

Oh, and I just tried Rabbits Hole again with Macfie's fixes and the updated FOW COTS C file but I still get the same problem. This time however I managed to do something new. The Hubbles radar was destroyed so it left, but then a few minutes later the 8 ship pirate attack wave showed up. I destroyed it and the Hubble said something like "we're tracking them, follow us after them!" and the directive became follow hubble (even though it left about 5min ago) so I did. The game automatically made me restart the mission. Boo haha. Please help.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:29:41 am by falcon2105 »
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
But now to reason for my very first post onboard of hard-light productions ;)
* Androgeos Exeunt aims his LRABeam of welcome.

My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Oh, and I just tried Rabbits Hole again with Macfie's fixes and the updated FOW COTS C file but I still get the same problem. This time however I managed to do something new. The Hubbles radar was destroyed so it left, but then a few minutes later the 8 ship pirate attack wave showed up. I destroyed it and the Hubble said something like "we're tracking them, follow us after them!" and the directive became follow hubble (even though it left about 5min ago) so I did. The game automatically made me restart the mission. Boo haha. Please help.

Make sure you do not have the auto match speed selected.  When the pirates arrive one of your wingmates will say "Pirates! Cut your main power now NOW! And don't move!"  Immediately cut your speed to zero and don't move.  After a while the pirates will leave,  the Hubble will say something like "we're tracking them, follow us after them!" and the directive became follow hubble.  The hubble will follow and then you can depart.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If the Hubbles radar gets destroyed the mission fails.

The only part where it might get destroyed without the player being able to save it is when you have to stay still, and if a couple of asteroids decide to hit it right then. That would be just really bad luck.

you should be able to complete the mission even if you are detected by pirates - the difference is that you'll have to survive a pirate attack first.

Wowww....that was it haha. Numerous thanks, I never realized that the "don't move directive" wasn't directed to the pirates. I thought it was to the pirates, and that they didnt listen at which point someone says "now they're onto us!" so i always just went out all 7k and destroyed em haha. And i don't know, for what ever reason whenever I was detected and the hubble was still around, after two waves of 4 pirates, nothing would happen for the rest of the mission and I would just sit there. Thanks again.

Edit: I just played a little more, and I'm getting the same problem as bustrobot. Except, for me it seems to be semi problematic because i jump in with only 1% health so invariably i die at some point or the other. It happened on the other red alert mission too but i managed to make it through that mission without touching anything, but here (after trailblazers) it seems harder, so help would b appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:47:20 am by falcon2105 »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I see the problem. Red Alert is activated once the player jumps out and it sometimes doesn't trigger before mission end.
I replaced it with is-key-pressed.

K, I updated the COTS_C.rar file.

Finally finished the campaign. Aside from the random issues along the way it was great. All the new ship designs, especially the thunderbolt bomber, are incredible. I hate these types of endings though  :p. You HAVE to play more, but you can't so you feel like ripping out your hair :lol:. Oh well, the next chapter will be well worth the feeling im sure. My only comment would be that in a few missions the star map was noticeably boring. Maybe that was just your personal preference, or maybe my install is weird for some reason, I don't know. Also sometimes even if you failed a mission miserably it would let you pass, or sometimes the opposite would happen. And I tried the Gate missions, but it keeps saying "Player has no weapons" or something. I tried macfies fixed missions too but still get the same error. If you have a chance maybe you could fix that, although you admitted it was just a bunch of random stuff you never actually edited so w/e. Thanks for the campaign and everyone's help.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wow..glad you liked the campaign that much. Personally I think it's rushed and put together rather clumsily, so I can only guess what your reaction would be if it was properly polished (altough half of the bugs and lack of polish are a product of really stupid and unpredictable problems that led me to dub this a "cursed campaign". Really, I can't remember the last time I had so much trouble putting together a campaign.)

The Gate is 3 mission in theory only. 2 of those missions are no-action-story-only so....kinda boring. They were supposed to be the end of the Pirate Wars. Alas, it never came to be. :lol: You're not missing much.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
TrashMan, did you re-skin the Ares?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No, someone else made that texture. But I liked it.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
can you please fix the "destroy the beams before you kill the ship" objectives ? i cant destroy the beams cuz the ship explodes well too fast, and then it says i failed mission cuz i didnt kill beam yay.
I hate My signature!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You don't have to destroy the beams - that's an optional objective. You won't fail if you dont' destroy htem.

Read the mission briefing carefully - you have to let some of the convoy ships escape, and those have to be tagged.

His 2 transports with your TAGs and your wingman will ignore them, kill the rest.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
did that still says i failed :D
I hate My signature!