Author Topic: Missile HTLs  (Read 19904 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmmm, no missile love recently...

Anyway.. I noticed the Tempest we have been using doesn't match the retail design and I'm pretty sure it's a copy of something else somewhere...

Either way, I did a tempest in about an hour. We now have a unique retail matching Tempest. Use whichever you like. First Post
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Eh?  I made the current Tempest from the proportions of the model and images from the tech ANI, so it should be pretty accurate to what it was before.  Yours is more detailed though (though it doesn't have the textured plate lines I had).

and now i nitpick... for the cyclops, didnt the actual "eye" of the cyclops appear off-center in the retail animations?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I guess what it was missing was all the red and the forward fins... either way though. I don't care.

The Cyclops eye looked center to me...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Do I see... planar texture mapping on a cylindrical model?!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kolgena

Confirmed. The eye is definitely centered. At least, it is in the horizontal and vertical planes, which should mean it is centered in 3space.

Erm. I'm really starting to worry about the infyrno. If you shoot it out of the left missile bank, I'm scared that it'll look off with only 3-5 bomblets visible and a ton of shaft showing.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I thought the Infyrno had rings of bomblets in three rows. :nervous:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kolgena

--it's supposed to be squares of bomblets offset 45 degrees from each other for a total of 12 bomblets, with all 12 offset 22.5 degrees from the fins

The way it is now, if you look at the other side of the missiles (which are not visible in the screencaps), there are not enough bomblets to give a packed appearance.

Also, tempest neck seems a bit too skinny, and the rectangular bits on the high-poly version don't seem to have corresponding bits on the source .ani.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, tempest neck seems a bit too skinny, and the rectangular bits on the high-poly version don't seem to have corresponding bits on the source .ani.

They don't.. but it looked really boring so I added them. Artistic license.

Offline Kolgena

I think I figured out what the big deal behind the screwy bomblets are. They're way too small. Each should be a fair bit larger in girth than the carrying shaft.

And yeah, fair enough about the tempest bits. They're your (excellent) missiles after all.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This shot was taken in-game from the angle in question... it looks fine.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Kolgena

Move the camera about 30 degrees down, using the missile shaft as the axis. Your bomblets are arranged like an eagle's talon. 3 close together, 1 directly opposite. That leaves two rather large gaps on either side of the "thumb" bomblet. In fact, one of the gaps can be seen on the middle row in that screenshot.

Also, now that I've noticed how tiny the bomblets are, I can't unsee it :( I'll shut up this instant about it if I'm the only one who is bugged by it, but if there are others who would want a "fix", then maybe you might want to consider it?

Note how big the bomblets are in relation to the missile. (Now that I have a direct comparison... the rear fins look a few sizes too big. That's because the missile isn't long enough because the bomblets aren't big enough, which means the missile tip also needs to be made bigger ...okay, I'll shut up now >.<)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:11:41 pm by Kolgena »

ahh it is centered, my memory playing tricks of me T_T

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I suppose I can work on the Infyrno some more... seems like such a small issue though.

But.. for my FINAL trick... (for now). The Trebuchet.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Kolgena

Nice!  :yes:

Dark grey bits should be dark green, and the missile doesn't have its name printed on the front of it, but I'm guessing artistic license again. Good choices though; Dark green, sick yellow green, and red didn't make for a particularly attractive color scheme.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All done!

Trebuchet on first page

I'll work up the Infyrno tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, I went ahead and did it tonight anyway... I just want you to know how much work it was....  :rolleyes:

The bombs are now mathematically evenly spaced and upscaled. The thruster was also made smaller.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:34:03 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Nice work :D  Though the bomblets could use a few more sides on the tech model...

Also, for reference, the current tempest.  It's definitely ... different.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I like the current one better. :nervous:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
As do I, maybe the in-game model could use a tune-up so it doesn't have flat sides.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I like the current one better. :nervous:

This.
Thought that's cause those pink rectangles on the tech version look terrrrible.

Flat sides are fine, I like my missiles sleek!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================