Author Topic: To infinity and beyond (game engine)  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
To infinity and beyond (game engine)
Infinity game engine. Space to atmosphere,
and combat.

Now go and make FS3... ;)

Has anyone tried to put some FS2 stuff into this?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:15:36 am by Enigmatic Entity »
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Re: To infinity and beyond (game engine)
There's a lot of horribleness in that engine, just for the cuteness of having planets/atmospheric entry :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
It looks nice, but what are the flaws that QuantumDelta said the engine has? Because I'd love to see FS2 like this...
We'd have a lot of work to do, though.
Potato!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The engine is unfinished and unreleased.

The associated game, as far as I know, hasn't even been really started. The "combat prototype" is just that, and doesn't reflect any actual progress on the game engine.

The whole project, while interesting, has a long way to go before I get my hopes up.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
For what they have so far, it looks really good.
I just really hope they won't stick with the uninteresting blue/red pew pew pew laser show though  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
i actually found that i didnt look pretty , infact it looked a lot worse than fs retail but hey its just an opinion
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:42:31 am by andicirk »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Maybe its too long since you tried the retail :p
That said, most of it looks like it could be a mod for FSO.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Looks like it's got promise. I feel like the planetary atmosphere was a bit thin, though...
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Again, I have to ask how you can substantiate your opinions on the engine when it's not up for public testing. The combat prototype, as far as I know, is the only thing released to date.

By the way, the combat prototype is quite fun to play around with. If you've not tried it, I encourage you to do so.  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I like the look of Infinity, but I can't help feeling like there's a lot of feature creep going on. Every programmer aspires to write a program that does everything, but, as the saying goes, the only model complex enough to model the entire Universe is the entire Universe.

That said, I'm quite excited to see how this evolves.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The engine also has a very generous poly budget (100000+ polys for 3km ships) and neat lighting effects.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Planetary entry was more like a googleearth episode than a piece of sci-fi, read; cheap and shoddy jpg meshing into a ground model that slowly gained more meshes as you closed in.
The Newtonian physics and resultant combat is horrific.
The planet didn't really feel like a planet, more like a big green golf ball.
Newtonian Physics.
The station wasn't metal it was a MIRRORZ.
Newtonian Physics.
Weapon graphics were terrible.
Newtonian Physics.
Atmosphere was thin but foggy ?!?!?
Newtonian Physics.
Look at 1:20 and pause it.
Newtonian Physics.
It looks terrible.
Newtonian Physics.
Terrible Primaries of Terribleness.
Newtonian Physics.
Terrible Radar of Terribleness.
Newtonian Physics.
The inside of the capship the pilot launches from is a MASSIVE example of how terribad the current env_mapping is.
And, Ugh, I can only imagine what a 100 thousand poly model will be like with a half decent map on it (good enough not to be an eyesore -> FPS hell, optimised enough to not be FPS hell? -> eyesore).
No, just keep it away.

Happy now Thaeris?
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
A little aggressive...
It looks very intriguing, but how would FS fit in?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*SNIP*

You a troll?
Did Infintiy rape your mother when I wasn't looking?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

*SNIP*

You a troll?
Did Infintiy rape your mother when I wasn't looking?
Hardly, but as I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, out of the dozens and dozens of space sims that use newtonian physics - only about 3 are any good, and that combat video is a classic example of /why/ none of them are any good.
Combine that with only one type of primary weapon, explosions that the FSO engine beats, and it's horrible use of google-earth style planetary graphics, along with other flaws and it just looks like it's heading in the completely wrong direction.
Worse than that, the creator of the video makes a quip about Newtonian physics flying requiring 'skill', when it really, really doesn't, suggests that there's a sense of pride in the fact that they're using a crappy physics engine.
GL to 'em, but dear god it's gonna be terrible.
Still, people never learn.
OR WELL, I guess they might be X:Series fans, those people are beyond hope anyway :<

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I for one enjoyed the Newtonian physics. Flaming me for that... is odd.

Once again, the engine's NOT finished. This program won't be out for quite a while. And, as someone else said, with all the program is supposed to do, it can't do everything perfectly and still run efficiently. That it can do what it does even now is quite impressive.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

You weren't flamed.
The engine trying to be a JOAT on a budget is a flaw not a strength, and not one to be pampered to.
Newtonian Physics fanboi-ism is a lot of what's wrong with the modern space sim genre.
Did you notice that the games that sold well "recently" that had much to do with space, didn't use such physics, or avoided having space combat that was player controlled?

i've not try or see much infinty's video but quantumdelta got some points i have to agree with :
-The only good newtonian physics game i had to play with was iwar and it's sequel.
I find very disgusting the way ship's react and general physics in the x series.
I prefer 1000 times faked newtonian physics with very high dampening setting/glide and such than real newtonian (especially the problem with n. physics is that it always miss to be applied on the rolling axis)

But ok that's just my subjective point of view  :nervous:

Anyway i hope infinity will result in an epic success, as we haven't many space sim games to play with nowadays.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You a troll?
Disagreeing with your opinion =/= being a troll
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
How is wanting a more realistic/plausible simulation wrong? Is it wrong to enjoy things like flight simulators... because they might be attempting to replicate the flight of an aircraft in a believable fashion? No, not at all. If the user enjoys it, there's nothing wrong with a developer producing it. In the case of FS, no one on the development front seems to think it a worthwhile investment. Everyone here, including yourself, knows that. If a group of independent developers... in this case, basically one person working with the engine... wants to attempt to create a sim/game engine of that magnitude, I commend him.

In terms of terrain detail... I'm not sure what you mean. As far as auto-gen terrain goes, this looks DAMN good:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=27

Also, the combat prototype is not a good measure to judge the finished product by. If anything, it's adding some elements to a restricted environment so the user/developer can see them in action.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke