Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 179340 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
I hope it's okay I post this (I won't post spoilers about the missions themselves):

For those like me who couldn't get the necessary achievements (20/32) to get the 'secret' missions even after multiple tries/playthroughs...if you really want to they're available in the tech room (ctrl+shift+s).  IIRC they have an "x" in the mission designation
It's always a away. It's impossible to get the "legal" access to the bonus missions without restarting whole campaign. We found no way to make it possible.
Anyone have a working cockpit for this campaign? None of the ones I am using for the other campaigns seem to work with this one.

Thanks
I never suited SG to be compliant with any of the cockpit mods, but as I've planned to implement hud ship icons, I think I can implement cockpits from the fightermedic's mod. Unfortunately it won't happen in near future due to lack of time.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Husker

Ok, please change the name of the aliens from nightmares to shadows. It fits so much better.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The name will remain as a tribute to the original Nightmares from Reperocity. As for the Nightmare artillery frigate, the final model will be totaly different then current. Just uses Shadow Battlecrab as a placeholder. We don't have resources to replace it right now.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Husker

If you want my opinion, it's too awesome to replace. Plus the name of the campaign is Shadow Genesis. Have them described as Nightmares, but designate them Shadows. To me, it fits better. Dunno if anyone else thinks so.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Interesting concept :yes:, unfortunately the Shadows are race from the Babylon 5 universe. I don't want to do like BP did with the UEF from Supreme Commander. Original Nightmares from the Reperocity campaign were strongly inspired by the Shadows from B5, and the Nightmares from Shadow Genesis are just more advanced concept directly from the Reperocity. Word "Shadow" in the "Shadow Genesis" name is metaphor to what the Nightmares are really are. Especialy visually :).

Offline Husker

Oh, well. Didn't hurt to try. One note, smaller battles fit right where you want them, but the true big battles, the player can be overwhelmed. Far tougher than even WiH on VE. Same difficulty level on both.

Hello,

I tried changing the keybind of the zoom_config but somehow i can't save the file back to the vp after I edit the file. Could you help me with this?

Cheers for the great mod as well!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Sorry, we re not coders. We just used the script. Talk with the autor of the script, M!M.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Interesting concept :yes:, unfortunately the Shadows are race from the Babylon 5 universe. I don't want to do like BP did with the UEF from Supreme Commander. Original Nightmares from the Reperocity campaign were strongly inspired by the Shadows from B5, and the Nightmares from Shadow Genesis are just more advanced concept directly from the Reperocity. Word "Shadow" in the "Shadow Genesis" name is metaphor to what the Nightmares are really are. Especialy visually :).

The UEF aren't from Supreme Commander - the name's one that pops up again and again in SF.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

The UEF aren't from Supreme Commander - the name's one that pops up again and again in SF.
With artwork from Supreme Commander with added Raynor and head anis from SC too, I assumed the name was derived from Supreme Commander. That's nothing bad, as You said it's common name along with it's variations like UED and UESC. Just noticed. Plz, stop making offtopic.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

and with UEG and EA and so on and so forth. Nothing is original in fiction anymore.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Can't even get through the first mission without the transport ship being destroyed in seconds.

Difficulty is to high

Offline CT27

Can't even get through the first mission without the transport ship being destroyed in seconds.

Difficulty is to high

I will admit the first mission should probably be toned down a bit; but if you can get by it there isn't (IMO) a super hard mission for a while.

If you think the first one is bad, just wait until:
-"Long Road Home"
-"Helpful Hand"
-"Burning Sky Over Aeon XII"

Those missions were nightmares (no pun intended).

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Difficulty is to high
We tested this mission numerous times and never found any problems with transport, the same as all testers. Are you playing this on 1.1a patch or on default 1.0?

Been playing this again with the 1.1a patch, still having the same penetrator missile problem as before (sometimes they hit and do little damage) and now new issue, the weapon sounds seem to be gone. Reaper, Titan, Excalibur, Hellion, Slayer, pretty much all of them don't have a firing sound.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:20:17 pm by BloodFleet »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well, I don't know what is still causing the problem with Penetrator. This missile is 2-3 times better than standard Stiletto, is faster, more maneuverable, has bigger damage and blast impact... I heard it kills even bombers. Where the problem is present? Only on main beams of Nightmares' ships?

As for weapon sounds, it's not the fault of the mod.

Yeah its just the main beam on eliyahus and meshulam, likely due to the missile not actually hitting the turret model...well sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Well I took the spaces out of the folder names and changed the mod.ini so ShadowGenesis is listed before mediavps_3612 and the sounds are back.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:56:24 pm by BloodFleet »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think the problem is not in the mission but in the beam model. I don't remember who converted it, but he probably did something wrong and the main beam has collision problems. We will fix this in next patch, if we release a patch. Currently we're discussing somekind like Director's Cut version of the whole mod than one small patch, before we start working on SG2.

Actually, I had the same issue with no weapon sounds for the custom weapons.  'twas very odd, but it didn't detract from the game-play too much.  I do not recall ever having that problem on a mod before.

Overall, I really enjoyed this campaign!  The difficulty of some levels kicked my butt, but I think I was trying to "Alpha One" my way through all of them.  When I eventually started making more effective use of my wingmen and other wings, it made a lot of difference.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well, the presence of lots of fighters and bombers under the player command along with big BoE-styled battles were somekind of experiment. What random player will do, and I'm suprised that most of the people complained about difficulty of our missions rather than think a bit and see how many assets they have to be used. Commanding aspect was always present in Freespace and Freespace 2 and we intensified it in Shadow Genesis. I'm really suprised that most of the players prefer to play freaking basass and fight alone, rather than become great commander :P. Old FSPort campaign Aftermath gave us a bunch of inspiration. As we see, we can't do it the same way in SG2...