Author Topic: How to use multiple game controllers in Diaspora (or any fs2_open based game)  (Read 42311 times)

Offline newman

How to use multiple game controllers in Diaspora (or any fs2_open based game)
I own a Logitech G940, a stick that declares itself to windows as three separate devices - stick, pedals and throttle. Unfortunately, Diaspora (or any fs2_open based project, for that matter) can only use one of these devices at a time, and owners of gaming controller systems that register themselves as separate devices will need to create a virtual joystick that uses all of the devices to make it work. While it's not difficult to set up it is a ridiculously long process, so to make things easier here are the steps to do it:

1) Set test signing on to allow ppjoy installation and operation.

Before you even install ppjoy, you will need to set driver signing off for windows - the app will refuse to install and later on run unless windows are in test mode. There are two ways of doing it, manually and with a small app that does it for you.

a) Manually switch to test mode:

- In the Windows Start Menu type in cmd and hit enter (or hit the windows key+r then type in cmd and hit enter). In the command prompt, type in the following line:

Code: [Select]
BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING ON
and hit enter. You may need to be logged in as administrator to do this. Restart your system when done. Once you system boots up, you should see a message in the lower right corner of your destkop informing you you're running in test mode. You should now be ready to install and run ppjoy. You might find a pain constantly having to manually switch to this mode and back whenever you want to play; luckily there is a small program that will allow you to switch quickly whenever you like (will still need a reboot).

b) Switch to test mode by using the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider

First, download dseo13b.exe from here. Now simply run it, select "Enable Test Mode", hit next, close it and reboot your system.

2) Install ppjoy

First, you'll need to find a version that runs for you. I sometimes had trouble getting the installer of some versions to run. Here's a version that appears to work: http://ul.to/fzhe96kn

Install it, add a virtual joystick, then run ppjoyjoy.exe. You should get a window with a lot of empty fields. Here you can define what axes from your multiple devices will be which axes for the one virtual joystick you created. I find that setting this up is a long, boring trial and error process, so I suggest going axis by axis, button by button until you have the game recognizing your stick to your licking. Once done, save the .ini file someplace you can find it so you don't need to manually redefine everything every time you play.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: How to use multiple game controllers in Diaspora (or any fs2_open based game)
For OS X, I've liked ControllerMate, which not only allows for using multiple game controllers but also allows you to calibrate joysticks. However, it's commercial software, and although there's a limited freeware version, the retail version's price has jumped from USD $15 when I bought it to $25! :eek2:

There's also USB Overdrive, which is shareware but apparently can be used indefinitely, but I don't know anything about it. I also don't know of any freeware options for OS X.

No idea what's available for Linux.

Offline Brandt

Re: How to use multiple game controllers in Diaspora (or any fs2_open based game)
Nice! I was just about to start a topic like this. :)

CH owners will probably know this already, but CH comes with its own manager that can construct virtual profiles as well. However if you have a mixed set of equipment you may have to do the PPJoy thing.

There's a thread elsewhere in which a user gives some Glovepie code that, on reading, really ought to make an xbox-type controller do exactly what most of us would want it to and give us access to all the basic control, throttle, weapons and targeting functions.  However, on running it, I get the D-pad doing what I want to tright joystick to do, only bank functionality form the right joystick (and that moved 90 degrees counterclockwise from what it should be) and the various buttons now doing at all what I want them to.  When I allow Diaspora to simply recongize the controller when I'm not running Glovepie, the results are even worse.  Diaspora's default game controller bindings dont' have anything to do with what I think most users want or expect the controller to do.  And, unfortunately, Diaspora doesn't allow one to use the binding function with the controller, which would solve this problem.

So, at some future time I think it would be very useful to include some command binding functionality with a controller (in my case, a Logitech Gampepad) or otherwise make it easier for users to write in those bindings.  No one wants to fly a Viper with a mouse.

I just wanted to add a couple other proggies to the list here as I never really liked the idea of turning off base features of windows.

I run Windows 7 64-Bit

Joy to Key found here:
http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

Joy to key allows you to assign multiple joystick buttons/Axis' to keyboard or mouse commands. The down side is you need to manually assign buttons to each button (or axis) on each device which can take time. The upside is for many of the mods for free space all the button assignments are the same so Going from Diaspora to Wing Commander Saga all the buttons stay the same and you don't need to remap in game. It allows you to assign mouse movement to buttons or axis. You can also assign a button to repeat X times per second. You don't need to turn off driver signature or of the other business associated with windows. Of course you can save different profiles for different games.

Currently I have:
A Logitech Extreme 3d - This is for my main (right hand) This is setup as the Default Joystick, so all the normal axis' are handled in the normal manner the buttons assign etc. I have better sticks but this one has a good amount of buttons right on the head of the stick so I never have to take my hands off the stick. I have the hat setup for targeting.

Logitech Nascar steering wheel - This is setup with Joy to Key,  I use the pedals in place or rudders (NumPad 4 and 6) , and the arrangement of the buttons for power managment (sheilds, arms, and engine)

A Saitek Av8ter - This is for my left hand control, this is setup with Joy to key. This is mainly used as throttle and Aux movement. Buttons after burners, glide, reverse, auto pilot etc. Since the main pitch, yaw etc is assigned to the right I'm able to take my hand off this stick and adjust settings for energy managment etc.

HID MACROS
See here: http://www.hidmacros.eu/

I'm mostly in single player campaigns at this point and haven't REALLY setup my Comms menu but I am looking at using either a seperate number pad with HID macros assigned to the various buttons. This program recognizes seperate keyboards as seperate devices so you can assign different functions to the same button on different devices. (NumPad * on Keyboard 1 = External View, Numpad* on Keyboard 2 is "Attack my Target").

Strategic Engine
See here: http://sdrv.ms/12ciVds

If I don't end up using HID Macros for the comms menu I will end up using the M$ Strategic Commander. There are 70 some button combinations for your left hand and can emulate a mouse with graduated movement, and the new setup tool works really well

Games Pads

If you want to use a console game pad, WIRED Xbox controllers work with Windows 7 as is. If your XBOX controller is WIRELESS you need to get a receiver specific to M$. Just plugging in the "charge cable" will not work. Its a charge cable it won't work and is silly.

I'm too cheap to buy the special receiver needed to make the M$ product work with my M$ product...

Motion in Joy
See Here: http://www.motioninjoy.com/

To use a PS3 Controller its best to install Motion in Joy. The controller will work either plugged in with the standard USB cable, or Bluetooth receiver.

Xpadder

See here: http://www.xpadder.com/

Xpadder is another really great program that works similar Joy to Key. The interface is a bit different but the core works pretty much the same. Its a bit more color full but I like being able to see the button/Axis Names and their assignments on the front screen.

Is there a guide out there on how to configure PPjoy?

I have a HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedal and TrackIR.

1. TrackIR just needs to run before I launch Diaspora afaik, so that's done.
2. I installed all latest drivers and firmwares for all the peripherals and theyre all correctly identified as HID compliant devices
3. I turned of drivers signing, installed PPJoy, added a joystick

I'm lost from there. If I hit SCAN and move the joystick to indicate I want to use it for my X Axis, nothing happens.

Not sure how to go from here.

EDIT: Found the problem.I was opening the "Configure Joysticks" shortcut in the start menu thinking it was opening the right .exe but thats just to add a virtual joystick. After that you need to head to the install folder and open ppjoy.exe manually and keep it open while you play.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:47:50 pm by TigerLord »

hello,

Question:
Since I'm gonna use DSEO to install the virtual joystick, I need a little more info.
It has got an enable/disable function.
I need to use the 'enable' function to install the virtual joystick.
What happens after I installed this virtual Joy? Can I then opt disable, and be done with DSEO, or do I have to have énable'always opted if I'm gonna use the vitrual joystick program?
Not clear to me...

Since DSEO leaves a gap in my security I would like it to be closed after I'm done with it if I can help it.

*edit

seems answered here..

Notes

In order for the PPJoy drivers to function in 64 bit Windows, test mode must be left on. Please be aware that this will leave your system more vulnerable to viruses and a good antivirus program is highly recommended.

http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=PPJoy_for_using_multiple_joysticks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:03:32 pm by Rakebuzz »
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/component/content/article/77-vjoy/84-homepage-v200

hmm...this site is worth looking into too...
I got my PPJoy to work.
My two T16000M trustmasters by combining them in PPJ gained a few Axes, rolls and 2 thrusters to handle, but I lost my thumb POV little turner.
No POV in PPjoy :(

It seems one of the VJoy programs there might get me my POV back..
So that's next on the testing..

another plus might be it looks like I don't need DSEO for VJoy
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

Allllridee...
Did some more testing:
VJoy... target deviced my two sticks.
then used UJR which uses these files.
UJR sees two target devices, but only one of them works.
Weird. So send messages to the sites forum where these programs come from. But it's weekend, lol.

Then another option was (hoped) the Thrustmasters own T.A.R.G.E.T. program. (this one is only usable with TM's devices)
It kinda not works with 2 T16kM's. When I start the program he sees two of them. And then the next page and on he totally ignores one, lol. So no virtual sticking there.. Gonna open a Q about that at SimHQ too soon. Maybe they found a way around it. There's an script editor inside TARGET, so this might help out to let it use two of the same sticks..
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This info should prove helpful to the next person who tries to get this working. Keep us updated. :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Will do.
Even Better... here are the links to a few fora I'm active about this, so everybody can follow current events about this, and even adres their own trials and errors there:

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/forum/4-Help/443-ujr-recognizes-only-one-of-two-target-devices

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/89279-ujr-universal-joystick-remapper-using-vjoy/page-4

(I'm that Stick'm-dude there , lol. I was in a pun-modus :D )

and here another handydandy link about UJR. any input about problems, issues or improvements in the program , suggestions, anything, the UJR-dude wants it preferrably here :)  =>

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/adhd-library/script-discussion/FBJnKoJySzE

here's another link about the program.
http://evilc.com/joomla/articles/9-code/autohotkey/1-ujr-universal-joystick-remapper

EvilC is everywhere, lol..

And at SimHQ Forums I will adress the issue too. Maybe they already resolved simular problems with some editingtrick, or know howto.
(I expect to be able to post there after the weekend when my account there gets activated)
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

Found another program.
Cost 10 bucks (7 euro) or something I read, and you should first read all the problems (and solutions) there before you decide.

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=167

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=19
Seems a lot are happy. Might give it a spin..:)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:47:37 am by Rakebuzz »
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

*Update*

VJoy/UJR combo works!!
now got 2 T16000M's working as one virtual Joystick!! :D
24 buttons total on base
6 on top
2 triggers
one POV
and got X, Y, Z on one
and X(r), Y(r) and Z(r) function on the other!!!
and two sliders.
I can use the sliders as throttles/thrusters, but maybe even use the entire Y -axe of one of the sticks as Throttle/Thrust with some combo keybinding with one of the top buttons.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1637198/#Comment_1637198

here more info..
http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/forum/4-Help/443-ujr-recognizes-only-one-of-two-target-devices

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/88734/using-two-joysticks-instead-of-hotas-how-to

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1637198/#Comment_1637198

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1640854#Comment_1640854
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:10:43 am by Rakebuzz »
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

I installed ppjoy and set the virtual stick up as instructed.
In the joystick settings I entered 32buttons + 8 axis and 2 POV Hats. However, in the windows game controller, the virtual joystick has only the base 16 buttons and axises, only 1 POV. That is an inconvenience, as I can map in the joystick.exe editor only 16 buttons :|

I can remapp my Hotas Warthog (running as combined throttle+stick driver) and my MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals to the Virtual Joystick. The virtual stick works in the windows controller calibration window and I see the axis moving/buttons flashing. However, the bigger issue is, that the virtual joystick doesn't work for me in Diaspora. It works in Warthunder/PS2 and windows calibration window. Yet, I tried all 3 joysticks in the Diaspora game launcher and the only one that worked was either the Hotas Warthog (combined Joystick) or the Rudder Pedals (3 Axis only). Not the virtual joystick though, I couldn't assign any buttons or axis.
Any help?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:18:19 am by corthreat »

Sorry,

The spare moments of free time I have now are going to be invested into T.A.R.G.E.T. software. I want this to work with Dia since it gives me so much more options then PP or V joy.
If the axes of my two sticks will not be recognized by Dia, I will have to recode stuff so Dia will think I am using a mouse, and link mouse axes to my second T16kM. But I hope this will not be nessesery, cause I will then lose one axes, and have to solve that one too.

Having a busy time at home, so I am sorry I haven't had time to test the code properly myself yet. Small steps. Last thing I found that F1-F12 is not accepted by Dia, so I had to recode that part in TARGET, lol... But if my axes will not work that was a mild problem..
Binding mouse axes to joystick axes is tricky since they operate differently. It's covered in the scrips manual, so it cán be done.

Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

Hello, I've been trying to set this up with my Logitech G940, but when I launch PPjoy, do not get a screen with fields where I can assign the axis. A screen that has a drop menu, saying a"Joystick device (Virtual Joystick 1) Successfully opened joystick. (Next line) Serial port (Com1) successfully opened port" as well as several other lines. I don't see any way to assign the axis. Any idea what I am missing?

Edit, I've gotten to the page needed, and assigned my axes, but Diaspora doesn't seem to be picking up my virtual joystick...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:42:44 pm by migmadmarine »

Hello,

Sorry to say....I dropped diving into PPJoy and VJoy altogether. T.A.R.G.E.T.  ate all my time :)
T.A.R.G.E.T. is known for not letting in non-Thrustmaster hardware ID's. (for now that is...)

And my time is now in Star Citizen too... (I bought ships....they need to fly, lol)

But maybe all these things CAN be solved by spending a lot of study years in C, and making custom TARGET-files.
(You definitely will become the hero of this planet, if you program custum TARGET files for every device that exist on this globe!! There is an understatement for you. And the law-suit from Thrustmster ofc wanting 50 gazillion! :D Name your files with care, lol... copyright lurks around... cannot apply to just C-stuff ofc!)

You know....
TARGET makes 5 files when it starts your homebrew tmc file.
You just make these same files, and put them in the folder where your tmc is, so target doesn't make them and overwrites them

If your C-coding skills are academic, you can ID/ define and set values of any device in the world I think.
Virtual mouse and keybord stuff is already in there...
Just reading these 5 files in TARGET showed me it can be done and also not by me.
I don't have these 8 years am afraid. My learing curves are broken. I know others can do it in 2-3 years. But notta me...:)

But there are dozens of C-sites on the net, and you can ask them help. They only ask that you do big part of the work, know your C and don't just ask: "Gimme this plz"
:D
Scoundrilling gay
IT is what they say
Shoot from the hip,
Muggin tha sip
Beware of the Ray!
(The zapp I mean ofcc)

Welp, I'm afraid I don't know frack all about programing... Looks like I'll be flying with keyboard and mouse or using a simpler joystick. :P