Author Topic: Ever wanted to use KB & Mouse / Joy on a console? My next investment: a XIM4  (Read 1743 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ever wanted to use KB & Mouse / Joy on a console? My next investment: a XIM4
First, a quick disclaimer: this won't enable you to cheat, you are still bound by the configuration and design of the console, and the console is designed for a controller.  Basically, a XIM or similar device emulates a controller, it doesn't provide direct KB / Mouse integration (which would indeed be cheating!). 

You can think of it as sort of like how the mouse script in FreeSpace works to emulate a joystick.

From their website:

The Technology of XIM

There are many “mouse and keyboard” console adapters on the market today, so, what makes XIM so different? The answer is simple: precision. Making a high precision device (like a mouse) work well in a game that was designed for controller thumbsticks is a difficult problem. All console shooters have different levels of “aim-assist” that makes them playable using a controller. If done incorrectly, adapting a mouse to these games will result in aiming that feels jerky, unresponsive, and detached. XIM is the only device that takes this mouse “translation” to the next level using its unique Smart Translator technology.

Through Smart Translators, XIM is able to provide unparalleled mouse precision unachievable by any other gaming adapter available. The problem is simple: when the mouse moves, equivalent reticle movement on the screen should occur (i.e. 1-to-1 movement). This is the obvious result that all PC-gamers expect. But, before the creation of Smart Translators, was not possible on consoles. Every console shooter has its own unique aiming system that governs how the game controls and feels to the gamer. Every game is different as they all have different stick dead-zones and geometries, variable sensitivity and acceleration regions, asymmetric sensitivity, non-linear movement, and more. Be cautious of any console mouse adapter that claims “PC-feel” without talking about how it solves all these challenges. XIM’s Smart Translators is the only comprehensive solution for the entire aiming system problem. Click here to see the expanding list of games with XIM Smart Translator support.

XIM’s simplicity and flexibility is also second-to-none. Its philosophy is to empower the gamer without bombarding them with unneeded complexity. It’s quick and easy to set up your preferred gaming environment. Even more, XIM will actually give you real-time feedback to help you find your optimal settings. For the most hard core gamer, XIM offers additional advanced options for further intricate refinement.
XIM enables a gamer to choose input devices that suits them best whether at a desk or on a couch in the living room. Its hardware compatibility doesn’t stop at just mice and keyboards. Support is also included for unique devices such as the Logitech G13 (small gaming keyboards with a built-in thumbstick for analog player movement) and the Sony Move Navigation Controller nunchuck. Mix and match different devices for your optimal playing style. Click here for the current hardware compatibility list for XIM.

The XIM can be configured using a smartphone over bluetooth (to avoid having to connect it to a PC, which you can also do).

If you are interested, get it from the xim4.com website, as Amazon is charging more than you would pay there.

I'll probably have this in a month or so, and I'll post back with my results, so if you're not sure, I might be able to answer your questions in a bit.

Anyways, anyone else try this or something similar before?  I know it's not straight up KB & Mouse like on PC but the controller is extremely hard for me to aim (still!).

Re: Ever wanted to use KB & Mouse / Joy on a console? My next investment: a XIM4
So if I want to finally go over Microsoft's heads and play Halos 3-present in a manner that doesn't suck, it'll only cost me the price of an XBONE, the games, and a 125 bucks for an adapter? Sweeeeet. (sarcasm)

It's a nice idea. No, it's a fantastic idea (sincere). But it's not enough to entice me to play just the console exclusive shooters, especially since I don't have the consoles. Let us know how it works, though!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Ever wanted to use KB & Mouse / Joy on a console? My next investment: a XIM4
Speaking of adapter, I'm wondering if there is an adapter that lets you use a Xbox 360/PC arcade stick on older consoles like a gamecube or a mega drive/genesis.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Cost aside, I can't see a mouse and keyboard 'emulating' a controller working well at all.  The game needs to be designed for mouse input.  I think everything you used this for would end up playing like Halo 2 on PC did, i.e. god****ingawful.  I believe emulating a controller with mouse/keyboard is EXACTLY what they did for that (they didn't even bother to take the xbox button icons out of the menus and whatnot), and it's an absolute nightmare to control.  In this state, I'll go so far as to say it's the worst PC game I've ever played.  So this thing... pass.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So if I want to finally go over Microsoft's heads and play Halos 3-present in a manner that doesn't suck

They are super well designed for controller play, Bungle is genuinely really good at controller shooters.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Cost aside, I can't see a mouse and keyboard 'emulating' a controller working well at all.  The game needs to be designed for mouse input.
You might think that, but I've seen a mouse-control plugin for Perfect Dark (via Project 64) that worked surprisingly well.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Cost aside, I can't see a mouse and keyboard 'emulating' a controller working well at all.  The game needs to be designed for mouse input.  I think everything you used this for would end up playing like Halo 2 on PC did, i.e. god****ingawful.  I believe emulating a controller with mouse/keyboard is EXACTLY what they did for that (they didn't even bother to take the xbox button icons out of the menus and whatnot), and it's an absolute nightmare to control.  In this state, I'll go so far as to say it's the worst PC game I've ever played.  So this thing... pass.

That's why they have all the per-game profiles and configuration.  You might not ever beat an elite controller guru, but at least you won't be stuck at the bottom with the 10 year olds just learning hand-eye coordination. 

Like, literally, in SW: Battlefront, using a TV that's not the best for gaming even in game mode (IIRC about 85ms latency), I will see someone, snap towards them, overshoot a bit, flip the other way, overshoot a bit, finally center on them, and manage to get a shot off before dying, when I got the jump on them.  If I reduce the sensitivity, I can't move fast enough.  If I increase it, I can't accurately control my aim.  This is with aim assist on, BTW.  If I turn that off, then I can't shoot anything past the front of my face. 

We need something that has variable sensitivity, tuned to pressure, or something.  Like maybe a Steam controller type of non-thumbstick, that you put normal pressure on, then increase incrementally to adjust sensitivity down for better aiming.

On the positive side, flying the fighters isn't half bad (actually usually fun) with a controller.

It sounds like you basically need a controller with longer thumbsticks.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  I have some longer thumbsticks.  Might try that in the meantime.  They're so ridiculously tall though.  But I'll try it out and see.