Author Topic: 'nother build  (Read 12628 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
  • Registry DWORD values "SoundSampleRate" and "SoundSampleBits" set sample rate and bits (Defaults are 22050 and 8, respectively, modern settings are 44100 and 16, respectively)
  • Sound buffers are no longer forced into software memory
  • Dynamically generated art and description text for ship selection screen (Both with and without 3D flag)
  • 2D Mission support - uses mission flag value of 16384
  • Rendering of ship while in first person perspective (3D cockpits) - uses ship flag "show ship"
  • Untested fix for crash when player takes damage as capship
  • Many, many, fixes for OGG support - should work now with mv_music.vp
  • Fix to player weapons not getting set
  • Dynamically rendered missile loadout icons; note that the loadout animation displayed in the techroom is no longer required.

• set-cutscene-bars

-- milliseconds for transition (optional; if not specified, instant)

• unset-cutscene-bars

-- milliseconds for transition (optional; if not specified, instant)

• fade-out

-- milliseconds to fade out (optional; if not specified, instant)
-- color to fade out to(Implemented but not working properly, may need lowlevel function editing) (optional; if not specified, black)

• fade-in

-- milliseconds to fade in (optional; if not specified, instant)

• set-camera-position

-- x coord
-- y coord
-- z coord

• set-camera-facing

-- x coord to face
-- y coord to face
-- z coord to face
-- Total turn time (ms)
-- Time to spend accelerating (ms)

• set-camera-facing-object

-- object name
-- Total turn time (ms)

• set-camera-rotation

-- Left/right (degrees)
-- Up/down (degrees)
-- roll left/roll right (degrees)
-- Total turn time (ms)

• set-fov

-- Field of view (degrees)

• reset-fov
  • reset-camera
  • Minor fixes to nebula and warpout code
  • Better errorcatching in debug build (Maybe)
  • HUD shield icon is automatically generated for ships with shields, but no icon.
  • -pos command line flag, which displays the current camera position and orientation to assist in camera placement. (Note: you really need to come to a full and complete stop to use it, or pause the game.)
  • Phreak's -smart_shield command line option is included (Build is in sync with current CVS)
  • Clipping errors in-cockpit fix0red.
  • User-friendliness improved (Read: Errors instead of some CTDs)
  • In ships.tbl/.tbm, $Rear Velocity, $Slide accel, $Slide decel, $Expl Propagates, $Shockwave Speed, $Default Sbanks, $Shields, $Afterburner, $countermeasures, and $Show damage (Which does nothing) are now optional, assumed 0 if nothing is specified.
  • $Tech model: can be added below +Tech Description in ships.tbl. This will specify a  model for use in the weapons selection screen and eventually the techroom when the command line option is specified or no ANI is available
  • Improvements to non-standard resolutions; better weapons selection screen, targeting box is no longer off-center.
  • -clipdist command line added; sets close distance where polygons are automatically clipped. Increase for better quality in the distance, but missing polygons up close (default is 1.0)
  • Weapons will show text if no ANI or model is present for selection screen selection. Looks pretty damn ugly, but it's better than a crash.
  • Screenshots now save the last picture number in the registry, so screenshots won't be overwritten if FS2 is restarted.[/b][/color]
Unresolved issues:
  • Some people have reported crashes with regard to warping out
  • FS2 tends to crash after a mission is completed.
  • No, loadgun07 doesn't exist, but I would be interested to know if the error is fatal (It shouldn't be)
Clickie

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 08:19:22 pm by 887 »
-C

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
blast.  i was about to work on more electronics related stuff. i'll just update my build when needed.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline WMCoolmon

I can take it down if you like... ;)

Incidentally, when are you going to get the six ships selection in? :)
-C

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
whenever i feel like it.  probably close to the next official release (3.6.7½?), so the required interface art can just get chucked into the media_vp at the last second.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by PhReAk
whenever i feel like it.  probably close to the next official release (3.6.7½?), so the required interface art can just get chucked into the media_vp at the last second.

Why not just make it optional?  It can get a little crazy with more complex stuff but I'll tell you how I'm doing it for the options screen:

Create a second set of graphics with a different name (mask and main if needed).  During the init of the screen you'll bm_load() those images first.  If they are found then set an int which you'll test against to make use of the new mask positions or any other new code.  If it's not found then the interface will behave like the old way.  The more complex the screen the more work that's involved in getting it to work properly with both sets of graphics but it should be doable.  I can't remember the setup of this screen exactly but it I think you just are using a new mask rather than two new images.  That should make it a lot easier to do.

This same sort of method is already done (to a lesser extent) for language selection so you don't need language specific builds any longer.  For your thing it's a little different than the options screen since the mission may require the extra entries.  Not sure what the code looks like but that may mean that you can't make it optional.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Still crashes on mission load with mv_music present
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i like this build. im not a big fan of the self rendering shield icons though, they look alittle boxy. i wonder if it would be possible to render the shieldmesh, in wireframe, and overlay it over the icon, then do some kinda vertex lighting on the thing. that way vertexes falling in one quadrant can be brightened/dimmed according to the quadrant's power level.

another thing thats cool is when using "show ship" you can see your shield when it gets hit. i didnt realise how pretty the shield hit effects were :D

im gonna test the weapon model support here soon.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

FATAL ERROR: It freezes on the loading screen, the only way i can get outta this is by pressing the power button on my computer.

This bugs needs to be looked at immediately. Thanks.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Everyone with the loading crashes try running with music disabled (-nomusic).  Looks like that's where the problem may be and I'm going through the code now.  Seems to work for karajorma but I'd like others to try it as well just in case.

Let me clarify my error. It totally locks up on the loading screen, actually loading the game, not the mission. The -nomusic flag did absolutely nothing.

Yet another failure by WMCoolmon.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe could you start LISTENING to my bugs? Mantis obviously isnt working, so maybe you could fix the LoadGun07 error and this new fatal error?

- FS2FREAK88 -

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by fs2freak88
Let me clarify my error. It totally locks up on the loading screen, actually loading the game, not the mission. The -nomusic flag did absolutely nothing.

There is only one loading screen and it's shown during loading of a mission.  Since you seem to be referring to the splash screen then it's a different error.  Remove all MediaVPs and try again.  If you have AVI movies installed then remove those as well.

Doubtful.  You are the only one who has reported this bug in a long time and it was always an install error or a problem with the movie code.  Something new may have cropped up but, as I say, you are the only one that has reported it.  Try an debug build and send in any errors that you get.  That will help us find the problem.

Maybe could you start LISTENING to my bugs? Mantis obviously isnt working, so maybe you could fix the LoadGun07 error and this new fatal error?

We HEAR your bugs.  Mantis works fine, but I see neither of your bugs reported there.  The LoadGun07 thing has already been commented on.  Either edit the table in mv_aseffects.vp yourself or just don't use that VP or make those weapons (Shivan lasers, most beams) available in the loadout screen until the missing graphics are added.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by fs2freak88

1) Calm the hell down. This kind of attitude will not get your problems solved. More likely it will get you banned from posting on the SCP forum. I realise that not having FS2_Open work is annoying but shouting at people will not solve your problems.

2) I took a look at the other threads where you've posted. My suggestion is this. Remove all the media.vp files and run FS2 Retail. If that crashes then the problem is with your install not FS2_Open.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
next time the media vp gets released somone needs to include a cleaned up table and remove the dead interface art referances. nothing to screw over game banence just get rid of whatever it dont need. that is how you fix the loadgun07 error.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
But why is FS2Freak the only person who's encountering this problem?

I am thinking that he has faulty media VP's. I used to have similiar problems to him when I was new and had no idea what the hell I was doing when I was installing FSO. My advice to him would be to unistall and reinstall freespace, then add the patch, then re-download freespace open. While this is killing a bug with a sledgehammer it is almost certain to work.

I have no extra .VP files. The only .VP files I have are the original ones that come with the game.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Does retail run then?

Offline WMCoolmon

1) LoadGun07 is not really a code problem. LoadGun07 is, like I think Nuke said, and I'm referring to his post for the 2nd time, a Freespace 1 file. It doesn't exist in the FS2 weapons list. It's mostly used for non-player capital ship weapons. The solution would be to make a loadout ANI or copy an existing one and name it loadout07.ani. This build *may* fix that error (if it works properly), because it shouldn't try to play the weapon animation if it doesn't exist.

2) I have no clue what the crash on load is, and like you said it's a new bug, so all I know is that Freespace crashes on load. The only changes that I can think of right off the bat was making a whole bunch of stuff optional in ships.tbl optional, but that was pretty simple to do and didn't give me any errors at all, so I don't think that's it. If it IS it, I need more specific info than that...did you try running the included debug build?
-C

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
targeting box is still off-center at 1280x960x32

Edit: pretty much everything else is too, radar, certain portions of text (support ship status)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:43:18 pm by 1794 »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Damn, a junkload of things have been getting done recently.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."