Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621713 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: What are you playing right now?
Hawken.

I'm not really in love with it, but it's not bad.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Lately, I have been getting into Planetside 2. I haven't played an fps in awhile and this one is more of the battlefield flavor which I like. It's a pretty fun game, but the f2p economy is quite expensive in either time or real cash. I think I am going to have my fun with it and move onto something else.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
My biggest gripe with Planetside 2 is that if you were not part of an infiltrator group going behind the enemy or in the 'front' the game was pretty... barren.

Offline crizza

How does one learn to play Wargame: ALB?
I'm playing only against AI and while doeing not bad in games where the one who destroys the most wins, I'm utterly unable to compete if it's all out warfare.
I an hold my own but eemie aircraft always finish me off, ost of the time I'm playing a deck with MLRS, move a scout in position and blast away. But as soon as I take other zones...I'm getting buttraped -.-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You should get on Mumble so I can teach you (when I ever have a spare moment or my PC set up again). Use more recon, put men in houses, put AA everywhere, don't advance into areas you don't have recon on. Recon recon recon. Don't use MLRS, it sucks.

Offline crizza

Hm, ok, That would be great.
So, is it possible to play a support deck? With artillery, antiair and a backbone of tanks and infantry? So far I used the standard decks...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
"Support decks" are typically a terribad idea.

This is a pretty good comprehensive guide.  As Batts mentioned, garrison important structures such as cross roads villages with infantry.  A platoon of riflemen, an ATGM team and some MANPADS can ruin OpFor's day trying to dig them out from a village.  A nice mix of SAMs and AAA spread across your territory (you need defense in depth against air) is paramount to creating and Integrated Air Defense System.  Recon needs to be spread across the front and any push needs to be accompanied by Recon.  Good recce is the difference between your first tier MBT having a kill list 20 plus lines long or it eating a Konkurs in the flank and blowing 145 points before it makes a single kill.  Also remember to maintain a good supply line, AFVs, SAMs and ATGMs especially need logistics support.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
My general strategy is to get the infantry into buildings and forests and let the enemy come to me.

Other than that tanks and AA seem to be the bread and butter combination of the game.

I would use planes more, but they fly right over the objective and (usually) into enemy AA.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline crizza

I would like to post my deck, but somehow, when trying to make a screenshot, I always take one of my browser, desktop etc although im ingame o.O

My current deck is an all out german deck, mechanized and before 1980.
Playing Fliegerfaust, two stacks of Panzergrenadiere, Jäger and Jagdkommandos.
2x4 sets of PzH M109G, 32 Gepards, 16 Roland 2,
Two stacks of Leopard 2, two stacks of Leopard 1A3.
Recons are Luchs, Bo, and SPZ 2 Kurz,
Vehicles...well, not that much to choose, I went for Raketenjadpanzer and Kanonenjagdpanzer(which look like JdPZ4 :D)
Helis, since I could only choose the Bo 105p, I took one tack of it, while I choose two stacks of Alpha Jets and a single stack of Starfighters...

When in a pinch, I forget to resupply my artillery, to call in my jets and to replace lost recons... but I think I'll get the hang on it...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Try the default West Germany deck for a while.

Offline crizza

So, artillery is not needed for effecient gameplay?
Guess I'm reading the guide^^

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If you're playing conquest (you should be) then no - the 'best' artillery is mortars used to provide smoke and stun, or (rarely) really huge 203mm pieces used to snipe vital targets.

But honestly playing against the AI isn't very good practice as it behaves quite strangely.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Alternating between Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall.

So far, best achievement is soloing the Belfry Gargoyles with only a lightning spear, a shield, and a huge amount of patience.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Anyone remember Battleships Forever? The same guy is making a new game, and it's very reminiscent of BF in several ways, but instead of RTT, it's a "space roguelike" where you explore the galaxy, collecting Tech points before you die, and then spending them to make a better ship. Pre-alpha gameplay, but the core concepts are pretty interesting. Here's a little video of myself playing with the Mantis, the currently-most-expensive hull, which has a spinal-mount beam cannon.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
So basically current events, then? :p

Yeah... but I'm doing the Flash Point: Korea campaign right now, and I'm doing a MUCH better job at it.

(I seriously need to learn how to operate the TADS and FCR Systems in Realistic Mode. Thankfully, operating those avionics are a LOT simpler than it seems, because it only uses the numpad or simple mouse clicking to manage. The one disadvantage is I have to manually get information on the fly.)
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Fiddling around with test decks, trying out stuff I typically don't use.  I think a combination of Starships and M728 CEVs might make for a pretty awesome urban renewal team.  The auto cannons do a good job suppressing and those 165mm demo guns annihilate anything that doesn't like HE.  Further testing necessary.

Offline crizza

That's my current deck...
The lack of manpads is...well, nothing to be done about^^

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Personally, I would dump the unarmored CVs for M557Gs.  OpFor even looks funny at an unarmored CV and it will blow up.  In general I'd consider taking infantry and vehicles with higher veterancy.  Granted you take less units per card but I personally find the increased accuracy and the better morale more important.  Rate of fire and accuracy degrades as units take moral damage, and I'd rather have four steel nerved panzer elite then eight crews that soil their drawers because an ATGM flies by.  It might also be worth swapping a company of PzGrens for a company of Jager in Fuchs, you want some cheap infantry to throw around the map and helis start to lose their utility once both sides start getting their IADS setup.  I'd drop a card of the 109s, you're rarely going to need more the 4 tubes.  I'd take a look at adding a card of Kpz70s if possible, they have the same main weapon range as the Leo2s and have an Autocannon at a nice middle ground price point.  In the vehicles I'd switch out the Raketans for Jaguars.  Accuracy and AP are the name of the game with ATGMs and I-Tows are the ****.  With ATGM vehicles you want to snipe the really expensive enemy armor, the HOT 1s or whatever on the Raketens are either going to miss or bounce off. 

Otherwise it's looking pretty good.

Offline crizza

I'll take a look later, but since it's a Bundeswehr only deck, till 1980 I think the Keiler is not available.
Ad holy cow, I just used mortar pieces...they saved my ass in the last miutes of a game, nice rate of fire...granted, no one is stupid enough to bring tube arty into their range, but the AI did just that :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Stop playing Cat B West Germany then? Try unrestricted West Germany.