Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613703 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What are you playing right now?
Yeah, Spiral Knights has been sucking my time, and now I've jumped into Terraria again...and I know TF2's is just a couple of days away.  See you in three weeks!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Pokémon.

I got it two weeks ago.  I am entering hour 77 of play time.

I think that speaks for itself.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i got borderlands 2 free with my vid card.  still haven't played it.  kinda forgot about it.  right now i'm playing super metroid.  will play metroid prime after.  this one's kindof annoying though.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Director's Cut

What's it like? Is it worth the $5 it would cost me to get it when I already have the original DXHR and DLC, neither of which I've played yet?

I honestly don't know.  Even though its been burning a hole in my Steam library I didn't really get the chance to play the stock version and when this came I figured I dive straight in.  From what I read Eidos looked at all the user feedback and fixed a lot of the gripes with the original plus seamlessly integrated all the DLCs and extra content, the graphics, AI and boss fights were overhauled aw well.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
What the hell, for $5 I'll take the chance, which presumably is exactly what they're counting on. DLing now.

EDIT: (cross-thread quoting ftw)

There's going to be a Director's Cut version that will integrate Missing Link and redo the boss battles.

I can't read that link at work, but it had better be ****ing free to people who already own the game and hated the boss battles.
$5 isn't exactly free but it's kind of close. I guess.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:43:57 am by jg18 »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well I can see via Steam that Batts' been playing it on quite a bit so its apparently been worth his time :D  So far I've enjoyed it a lot, I'm trying to figure out if I want to stay a pacifist though.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
X-COM
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Now i abandoned R6 and started S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of chernobyl, also i get the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Prypiat into my "collection". Haven't played it yet. Oh i just darn hate it that some stuff can be found only if you get info 'bout it...
I've bought all three parts with a very good Polish gaming mag - CD Action. For ~4-5$ you get a mag, and 2 - 3 full ver. games... many demos, some freeware. A good magazine it is :nod:.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I got myself ME trilogy. 7 hours in and I like it. And I love the stairs there :D Also "OH MY GOD", aka Magicka. I tried playing planetside 2 again, but it lags terribly. I have no idea why, it used to run acceptably well before.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
StarCraft again! :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Now i abandoned R6 and started S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of chernobyl, also i get the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Prypiat into my "collection". Haven't played it yet. Oh i just darn hate it that some stuff can be found only if you get info 'bout it...
I've bought all three parts with a very good Polish gaming mag - CD Action. For ~4-5$ you get a mag, and 2 - 3 full ver. games... many demos, some freeware. A good magazine it is :nod:.

in call of pripyat you can find stashes without "learning" about them.  i think SoC is easily the best in the series though.  the only thing really holding it back is the terrible amount of bugs.  most of them can be fixed with mods/user patches though. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Husker

Freespace and/or mods. Started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, it's pretty good, very well made, no obvious flaws, no gameplay issues. I like it a fair bit.

Now if only I could find the Homeworld trilogy.

Offline crizza

Replaying Starcraft ", WoL...I want to play the zombie mission with as much tech as possible.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I've been getting back into Wargame: AirLand Battle. It's fun again, but I'm so bad at it. Been struggling to take back Copenhagen in the medium difficulty campaign.

Steam Halloween sale: Dead Space 1 and 2 for $10.00?

Yeah, sure, why not. I've heard the first game was decent, anyway.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Husker

I've heard that you will have to have several pairs of clean underwear before you play those games.  And you will be desensitized to any scare attempts from then on.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I tried the first and found it lame. It's not scary, just stressing. And the monsters are not scary-inducing ugly, just plain ugly. Didn't get hooked by the story either.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I've heard that you will have to have several pairs of clean underwear before you play those games.  And you will be desensitized to any scare attempts from then on.

I'm playing a guy with a suit of armor and a bunch of guns. This automatically makes the game not a horror game.

EDIT: A few chapters in, and yeah, this game is not scary in the slightest. Visceral and bloody, but not scary. Honestly the Necromorphs kind of make me laugh, with the awkward way most of them waddle around.

Doesn't mean it isn't fun though. This mechanic where you have to dismember enemies rather than aim for center of mass is interesting. Also not a half bad zero-g mechanic. So far I'm liking this all right.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:32:04 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I tried the first and found it lame. It's not scary, just stressing. And the monsters are not scary-inducing ugly, just plain ugly. Didn't get hooked by the story either.

Ditto.  That and the clunky save mechanics turned me off.

It's not even stressful.  If you walk into a room and there are wall vents, there will be monsters that come running at you eventually.  SS2 was supposedly an influence on the developers, but if it was they took away everything that made SS2 such an amazing game.  Dead Space is jump-scare at its worst.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

SS2 was supposedly an influence on the developers, but if it was they took away everything that made SS2 such an amazing game.

I can see that, actually. It really is like a massively dumbed-down version of System Shock 2. You have an inventory screen, you have an upgrade system, you have telekinesis and cryokinesis, you have an alien life form infesting the bodies of crew on a ruined space ship, you have weird alien biomass growing all over the place for no reason... hell, you even have the log-books scattered about that tell the backstory. All we're missing is one insane, megalomaniacal AI. Well, that and the depth of the plot, the atmosphere, and the difficulty.

But yeah, horror story this is not. Honestly I'm not even getting startled by jump scares. The "scare chords" come so fast and so often that they're just an audio cue that enemies are in the area. Which ruins the tension further: there's zero chance of enemies sneaking up on you. That at least would be a little bit scary if I just turned around and suddenly there was a necromorph in my face... but no.

Now, with all that said, the shooter gameplay is relatively solid and I'm having a decent time running around from crisis to crisis on the spaceship. So it's a decent FPS, if nothing else.