Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617168 times)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Re: What are you playing right now?
I think "Cerberus Network" anger refers to EA's "We have to check your game every single damn time you turn it on to make sure it's legit." douchebaggery.
Yep, that's more or less what I meant. I haven't investigated it really.

So... you're complaining that BioWare lets you set your own priorities?
My own priority is when I can order the fleet to help save the council or go straight for Sovereign. When the choice is going on time sensitive mission which is the only thing that may still save the galaxy or going on other supposedly time sensitive mission which may be the only thing which may save like a houndred people, that's virtually no choice. Logically you just have to do the former. The game says you can do either and that's kinda dumb. I could understand when they throw five urgent side quests at you, but they really could do better with the main story arch. I mean, the moment you leave citadel after being grounded, the side quests just should stop coming or being available.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Katawa Shoujo. My first visual novel and I really like it so far, it's very touching.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
So... you're complaining that BioWare lets you set your own priorities?

Cerberus shows up in something like 20 percent of the side-quests, it feels like.  Just because you don't encounter them doesn't mean they're not there.

Indeed, Cerberus is related to most of the major sidequests in Mass Effect (and part of the main story too) - but if Kobrar intentionally skipped sidequests pretty much entirely I can understand why he's lost.

Yes, Mass Effect (all three games) had pacing difficulties regarding urgency of main quest compared to ability to run sidequests, but if you don't do the sidequests you shortchange the experience immensely.  The Mass Effect games are quite well done in general, and that pacing incongruity is a minor nitpick - in short, don't be a nitpicky purist and do the bloody sidequests if you want to enjoy the games.  The consequences of sidequests also carry from game to game - and certain ones becoming increasingly more important in ME2 and ME3.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think just about every sandboxey/RPG/non-linear game ever has suffered from this syndrome to some extent.  ("Put the world-saving on hold, I need to level up my baking skills!")  It's mostly unavoidable, too: if you give the main quest an actual timing precedence, that prevents the player from being able to explore or side-quest as they please, and being forced to miss content sucks.  I feel like you just have to take it as part of the whole suspension of disbelief, in the same way that you can't get around the fact that your hands are on a mouse or controller and not actually holding a gun.

(About the only game I can think of that did produce an external time pressure like this was Majora's Mask, but that only worked because Link kept repeating the same three days, so you were able to keep going back in time and working through all the side-quests.)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
External time pressure?

Fallout 1 comes to mind
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think just about every sandboxey/RPG/non-linear game ever has suffered from this syndrome to some extent.  ("Put the world-saving on hold, I need to level up my baking skills!")  It's mostly unavoidable, too: if you give the main quest an actual timing precedence, that prevents the player from being able to explore or side-quest as they please, and being forced to miss content sucks.  I feel like you just have to take it as part of the whole suspension of disbelief, in the same way that you can't get around the fact that your hands are on a mouse or controller and not actually holding a gun.

(About the only game I can think of that did produce an external time pressure like this was Majora's Mask, but that only worked because Link kept repeating the same three days, so you were able to keep going back in time and working through all the side-quests.)

Lightning Returns (The next Final Fantasy) will have a hard time constraint as well, which by all accounts works pretty well for that game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
External time pressure?

Fallout 1 comes to mind
Heh, of course I forget the one legendary title that I haven't played.  :p To be honest though, knowing that in advance (among other things) has made me somewhat unwilling to do so.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
On different styles, you also have FTL with a pretty basic but effective "time limit" (keep going or the fleet catches you), and of course XCOM (difficulty just ramps up time goes).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Speaking of XCOM:

**** Sectopods.  **** them.  Forever.  Two ten damage splash attacks per turn, and then automatic overwatch, on top of 30 health and a **** ton of damage resistance.  What the ****.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Speaking of XCOM:

I seem to always get into this kind of situations.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Aww, they just want to give you a hug  :drevil:

Also, I have been playing Starbound, and I am a Aztec bird that runs around shooting at people and loots their houses.  :pimp:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Speaking of XCOM:

**** Sectopods.  **** them.  Forever.  Two ten damage splash attacks per turn, and then automatic overwatch, on top of 30 health and a **** ton of damage resistance.  What the ****.

They got Hardened Armor in Enemy Within, so you can't nuke them for more than 33% of their health. They also got one of the three special Kinetic Strike Module animations, and frankly I'm terrified of finding out what it is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'm impressed on the UFO screenshot, but the Council mission with the boat? Na, being surrounded in that is common practice. I had the unfortunate time of getting that council mission with a group of five soldiers and conventional weaponry

It was a sad day. I of course, played out that damned mission for hours just trying to ensure my people got out alive because god damn I wasn't about to lose an entire squad

I know better now

Speaking of XCOM:

They're a ***** ain't they
I'm currently not liking the idea myself to come into contact against these things

Heh, of course I forget the one legendary title that I haven't played.  :p To be honest though, knowing that in advance (among other things) has made me somewhat unwilling to do so.

There was a patch which basically made the secondary time limit non-existent if I recall (water chip retrieval was never changed)

Aww, they just want to give you a hug  :drevil:

Also, I have been playing Starbound, and I am a Aztec bird that runs around shooting at people and loots their houses.  :pimp:

The new patch they came out which wiped the accounts is definitely an improvement. However, dat Cool Broadsword damage. 3750? Holy hell

I imagine a rework of the numbers coming soon
"No"

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Speaking of XCOM:

They got Hardened Armor in Enemy Within, so you can't nuke them for more than 33% of their health. They also got one of the three special Kinetic Strike Module animations, and frankly I'm terrified of finding out what it is.

I think the best way to deal with them is having an LR Assault to draw off the overwatch, a plasma sniper to draw down its health and two MECs to tank damage and deal the killing blow.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You need a MEC Paladin with EMP to disable them. Two if possible, but if you focus your fire on it you should be able to use the spare turn given by one EMP to take it down.

If you're lucky, EMP will take down the two drones or other enemies while you're at it.

And be sure to always pick HEAT on your heavies.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus

There was a patch which basically made the secondary time limit non-existent if I recall (water chip retrieval was never changed)
If i remember well, after returning the water chip none of the side quests changed or were made "untakeable".
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Star Control 2 had a time limit and the freedom to approach the overall mission in whatever order you wanted to. There was of course also the ability to increase the time limit by triggering certain events.
Though arguably there weren't many "side quests" as most of the stuff tied into the overall story. Unless you consider resource gathering and rainbow world hunting to be side quests.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I'm competing with my dad for license times. We're both getting all golds, but he's quicker than I am. I'll catch him eventually!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'm trying to get into MWT but with my system being so slooooowwwww its hard
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art