Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 289649 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
Probably. Though your campaign seems to make 3.6.9 builds cry the most. :p

It does push the limits of the game, after all. :D

Hey take a look at the screenshot. (Mission 16)

Please check the model as the firing point is a bit out of place...  ;)

Yes, that does look a little funny. :p I know about it but not how to fix it. The subsystems are positioned correctly though, so you can still hit it without any problems by just targeting something on it.

There are actually a few other model-related issues in the campaign, one of which is more serious. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a modeler at all and have no idea how to fix them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:55:37 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
On a side note, I updated some parts of the walkthrough, especially the mission 15 section. It should hopefully be more clear now. I also put up some other crap on the site.

What crap?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
From the news page on the site:

Several parts of the walkthrough have been updated with more detail, particularly the mission 15 section. A few people also asked me to make the mission 4 easter egg more stable, so I made a simple standalone version that shouldn't ever crash. It's in the extras section along with a crazy test mission I used during development.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh. Okay.

Finally downloaded and finished the campaign. Spoilers, probably, but if you've read this far into the thread you should've downloaded it already.

Didn't have any crashes, although the campaign was extremely slow and graphics intensive. Mostly my computer's fault, not yours. The only way I could get a good framerate was to play 640X480 with those FPS-killing nebulas turned off.

It's hard to say what the best campaign of them all is. But I get the feeling that PI is the best one I've ever played. Extremely difficult, but I liked it even though I had to cheat on practically every mission. Great music selection. The biggest weakpoint is probably the last mission, where I found myself in the proverbial "killing an aircraft carrier with and ML-16" situation.

Also, my computer is crap, but somehow I played the campaignt through without any memorable CTD.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yes, i think PI is my favorite campaign yet. Hard with very good mission design, but with new things to make it a bit easier (modular hull whatever it was).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There prolly won't be one. :(

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Don't really think CP5670 is that keen on doing a sequel.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I certainly will not rule out the possibility, but realistically speaking, I don't think I will have time to finish another project of this magnitude. I intentionally kept two or three loose ends in the story and have a few generic plans for a sequel, but at this point it doesn't make sense to get started on something that I know may never get close to completion. That story document I posted earlier should suffice for clearing up most of the details in PI's plot.

I think a more practical goal is to add voice acting to the existing campaign, which many people have expressed their interest in. I would want it to be of the same quality as the rest of PI and I'll need to take a closer look at generating the Vasudan speech before doing anything further. Goober seems to have made some progress on that front, although I don't fully understand the instructions he received from Volition.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:20:03 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I certainly will not rule out the possibility, but realistically speaking, I don't think I will have time to finish another project of this magnitude. I intentionally kept two or three loose ends in the story and have a few generic plans for a sequel, but at this point it doesn't make sense to get started on something that I know may never get close to completion. That story document I posted earlier should suffice for clearing up most of the details in PI's plot.

Well another project of the same magnitude *would* be appreciated. :nervous:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well another project of the same magnitude *would* be appreciated. :nervous:

*smack* :P

I think a more practical goal is to add voice acting to the existing campaign, which many people have expressed their interest in. I would want it to be of the same quality as the rest of PI and I'll need to take a closer look at generating the Vasudan speech before doing anything further. Goober seems to have made some progress on that front, although I don't fully understand the instructions he received from Volition.

This might sound weird, but maybe we can voice the Vasudans in English, but "mutate" the sound into something that sounds Vasudan while keeping it  clear enough to be intelligible.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Problem with PI is that it only had about 20 missions.

Oh, god... 20 missions is just perfect, don't pull a Derelict.

This might sound weird, but maybe we can voice the Vasudans in English, but "mutate" the sound into something that sounds Vasudan while keeping it  clear enough to be intelligible.

The Cobra Strikes! :wtf:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Problem with PI is that it only had about 20 missions.
Oh, god... 20 missions is just perfect, don't pull a Derelict.

I think the correct term would be a 'Revenge: Final Conflict.'

and speaking of revenge, has anyone tried it on 3.6.9?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I dare not try. :shaking:

i tried it, it crashed on one of the early missions. something about a bad table entry for "sentry"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
As far as the campaign length is concerned, the number of missions is 17 or 21 (depending on how you look at it), which is indeed on the shorter side compared to some other campaigns. However, the lengthy briefings and a fairly long average mission time of about 12 minutes make up for that to some degree. I also wanted to try to have every mission present its own unique gameplay situation and be memorable in some way, which becomes much harder to do if you have a large number of missions. Quality over quantity, in other words. :D

It might be interesting to try, but there are a few instances where words can be understood in Volition's Vasudan speech (the "thank you" and "you're a thief" things) and it sounds rather strange in those cases. The standard translator method would probably be the way to go, despite the fact that your guy is a Vasudan.

It would be similar to the compromise I had to make with the dates and times. At one point, I was thinking of putting them in some sort of Vasudan Galactic Time, maybe on a 40 or 48 hour scale, but they wouldn't have made sense to anyone that way.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh, ****. I can't play the nebula mission at all, if I try to play it it invariably crashes when I click "commit."
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That would seem to indicate that your pilot file has somehow been corrupted. See if it works if you create a new pilot and use ctrl-shift-s to skip to that mission.

Unfortunately, that type of problem is going to crop up occasionally (in any campaign) until 3.6.10 comes out with the new pilot code.

Offline lefkos

• your Hardstyle music producer
i  have a problem with the mission when i pilot a pegasus..
i get caugt in serveral seconds without moving etc just listing what the pilot 3 says..
its this normal?
Music is an expression of our inner creativity.