Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 289667 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
:welcomeblue:
welcome beam, CP! welcome beam!

I don't like the welcome beams. :p

Offline SATtva

• Nothing to do with Bodhi
    • Personal site and blog
OK, here we go. That's what I got for mission 8:

Code: [Select]
Warning: For 'Vepar_Impact', 3 of 4 LODs are missing!
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Weapon\Weapons.cpp
Line: 1218
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_weapon()    parse_weaponstbl()    parse_modular_table()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'nameplate'
referenced by model 'capital2t-01.pof'

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 3056
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    ship_page_in()    level_page_in()    freespace_mission_load_stuff()    game_post_level_init()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'soupturrets1'
referenced by model 'capital2t-01.pof'

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    ship_page_in()    level_page_in()    freespace_mission_load_stuff()    game_post_level_init()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'still'
referenced by model 'stilettoII.pof'

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    weapons_page_in()    level_page_in()    freespace_mission_load_stuff()    game_post_level_init()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'crossbow_tech'
referenced by model 'crossbow_tech.pof'

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    wl_load_icons()    wl_load_all_icons()    weapon_select_init_team()    weapon_select_common_init()    common_select_init()    brief_init()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'still_tech'
referenced by model 'stilettoII_tech.pof'

Call stack:
    read_model_file()    model_load()    wl_load_icons()    wl_load_all_icons()    weapon_select_init_team()    weapon_select_common_init()    common_select_init()    brief_init()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()

(Worth to add that in both cases the first error message regarding 'Vepar_Impact' always comes up at Freespace startup. Others appeared at mission load.) As you can see, despite of these minor errors mission 8 was completed successfully and without any problems: I was even not aware of these errors in standard not-debug mode at that time.

What troubles me with mission 14/2 crash is it's severity -- it's a program crash. Could it be something with SCP engine itself in the context of this particular mission? If I need to provide additional diagnostic information, I'd like to do that, but I'm not aware what may be relevant.
Infosecurity, webdesign, programming
http://www.vladmiller.info | https://www.pgpru.com

don't you need to use that other build all the way back on page 1?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
(Worth to add that in both cases the first error message regarding 'Vepar_Impact' always comes up at Freespace startup. Others appeared at mission load.) As you can see, despite of these minor errors mission 8 was completed successfully and without any problems: I was even not aware of these errors in standard not-debug mode at that time.

What troubles me with mission 14/2 crash is it's severity -- it's a program crash. Could it be something with SCP engine itself in the context of this particular mission? If I need to provide additional diagnostic information, I'd like to do that, but I'm not aware what may be relevant.

Yes, I don't think those warnings have anything to do with it. They're just minor glitches in the media VPs.

I have had people bring up this crash on commit issue once or twice earlier, but on different missions. It's most likely the result of buggy pilot code in the current 3.6.9 builds, which can affect any campaign. Does it occur every time you try it? Is the other crash with the freighters jumping out also repeatable?

As a last resort, you can create a new pilot, hit ctrl-shift-s in the mission simulator window to skip to that mission and just play the rest of the campaign through there. Some of the campaign features won't fully work (mainly that the stats/scores will be discarded and the mission 15/17 connection won't work), but it will still be mostly fine. Alternatively, I could give you a pilot I have that starts at mission 14, although you will need to reconfigure your settings in it manually.

Offline SATtva

• Personal site and blog
Does it occur every time you try it?
You mean game crash in the mission? Yep, with great stability.

Is the other crash with the freighters jumping out also repeatable?
I suppose this is not freighters that triggers the crash. After about half a minute after Tritons depart I hear another subspace vortex opens up somewhere and then suddenly game crashes. (Of course, this is in debug mode. In standard mode I even can't begin a mission.) By the way, is it something jumping in? What it's supposed to be? Maybe it is a key to my problem?

As a last resort, you can create a new pilot, hit ctrl-shift-s in the mission simulator window to skip to that mission and just play the rest of the campaign through there.
Or wait for a new SCP release.  :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I believe there's a crash-on-commit issue that's related to the much-hated red-alert bug.  This comes up in Homesick from time to time.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline SATtva

• Personal site and blog
I believe there's a crash-on-commit issue that's related to the much-hated red-alert bug.  This comes up in Homesick from time to time.
Any workarounds besides what CP5670 has suggested?

EDIT: Now looking through the "Homesick on 3.6.9" thread.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 01:20:33 am by SATtva »

Offline SATtva

• Personal site and blog
I've just tried out SCP build Xt0227 (mentioned in the Homesick discussion) with PI to no avail: it crashes on the Red Alert screen on Continue button press as before.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I suppose this is not freighters that triggers the crash. After about half a minute after Tritons depart I hear another subspace vortex opens up somewhere and then suddenly game crashes. (Of course, this is in debug mode. In standard mode I even can't begin a mission.) By the way, is it something jumping in? What it's supposed to be? Maybe it is a key to my problem?

Not sure what that could be. An AWACS ship comes in later on, but that's only after you reach the installation and go through some dialogue. Nothing else enters or leaves the mission until then. The Reform has typically jumped out well before that as well.

Have you heard that subspace sound on more than one occasion? Some of these crashes are sporadic and often don't occur if you try the mission again.

I've just tried out SCP build Xt0227 (mentioned in the Homesick discussion) with PI to no avail: it crashes on the Red Alert screen on Continue button press as before.

That 2/27 build was very unstable anyway. You could try something newer like the 5/10 one, which is supposed to have some of the fixes for this stuff (although I have experienced other oddities with it). However, I think the problem here is that the 3.6.9 builds are actually corrupting the pilots in some way. It's rare, occurring maybe 1-2% of the time, but if it happens I'm guessing the pilot won't really work right on any build.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...That's what I was afraid of.  Once it's corrupted, you'll never know which build will work, because they're all using the corrupted pilot file.

Offline SATtva

• Personal site and blog
Some of these crashes are sporadic and often don't occur if you try the mission again.
Right. I've replayed (em, sort of) the mission in debug mode several times, and it showed that crashes are not consistent in time, despite inevitable. One time it crashes a minute before the convoy departs, the other 30-60 seconds after. It has nothing to do with player position either: it crashes when trying to scan convoy (or before or after this) as well as when ignoring it and going directly to SC Agni.

I've heard of 3.6.10 release coming soon. I think I'll wait for that and give the PI another try (from the current point or with a new pilot from scratch).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 12:57:06 pm by SATtva »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, that sounds pretty random. I haven't heard of any crashes occurring during the missions themselves, but I'm guessing they may related to the debug build or the fact that the pilot is messed up. You can wait until 3.6.10 is out, but you will probably be forced to create a new pilot anyway.

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with this. I guess you just got particularly unlucky with the 3.6.9 pilot corruption problem.

Offline SATtva

• Personal site and blog
That's not you fault, CP5670. Thank you for the great campaign anyway. Nothing bad with replaying it once again. :-)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey, I noticed, I played the 'save the Deshret mission,' I kept the Deshret over 10% and saved the Arnu, but I didn't get an Order of Galatea medal. What did I do wrong? Do I have to kill the Apophis?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The difficulty has be at least medium and it needs to be played as part of the campaign. If you play any missions through the simulator, the medals unfortunately don't show up.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I was playing it in campaign, but I think it was on Easy. The mission's hard, you know! :p

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I was playing it in campaign, but I think it was on Easy. The mission's hard, you know! :p
No ****. :P
Im still on the mission were you go into the third Knossos.I just started 1 day ago.On Easy. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Do I have to kill the Apophis?

Does anything happen if you do somehow kill the Apophis?

I have a question about the Phoron model - was it made by Untouchable?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:10:37 pm by Snail »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

I actually think this mission has the hardest base objective of anything in the campaign, although nobody brought it up here until now so I guess others didn't find it quite as difficult. 15 is tougher if you're going for a perfect playthrough and try to complete all the extra goals, but the primary objective is relatively simple.

Does anything happen if you do somehow kill the Apophis?

The ship is guardianed and can't be destroyed. It's mentioned in one or two places later on, so it had to stay around. :p

I have a question about the Phoron model - was it made by Untouchable?

Maybe, I have no idea. I asked about it here a year ago, but nobody recognized it at all. It was in a large folder of FS junk I've collected over the years, some of it going back to the VBB days.