Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422720 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.10.1 (combined launcher/installer)
The logs aren't uploaded automatically. The user has to click on "Upload debug log" to trigger that.

The logs aren't uploaded automatically. The user has to click on "Upload debug log" to trigger that.

Didn't doubt that. Than the users should be told that the logs for private mods are publical visible?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sounds like a good idea.

"The log you're trying to upload belongs to a private mod. Please be aware that this log (and any information in it) will be public. Do you want to continue?"
[Yes] [No] [Open Log]

The last button would open the log but keep the dialog open. This way the user could censor any secrets and still upload the log.

That sounds good to me. Yet I don't know what the qualification standards for beta tester are, and hence if everyone uploading a log would be capable of removing all secrets. It might be better if only the 'owner' could view such things or the users that are members of the respective testing group. But I don't know if that'd cause too much work for you, and there're other methods of doing this? Also, when you're a beta tester you should have other methods of getting in touch with the devs anyway.

Maybe I'm overwhelming cautious, but it would be sad if the great work you're doing gets bad publicity for spoiling classified things. :)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'm not going to try and stop people from revealing secrets. That'd be futile anyway (if someone really wants to, they could just upload the whole mod somewhere).
I want to prevent accidental leaks which the prompt should achieve.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think the issue is, in the spur of the moment a tester may not be qualified to know if anything he is uploading is secret or not, but a mod owner might be able to later look and make that decision.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Hi. So probably stupid question. I have installed retail Freespace 2 from GOG. In Launcher I have FSO, MediaVP's, and FS2 Retail available. When I click play on any of them it gives me error saying I need to move FSO.exe to Freespace 2 folder. But when I do this and click play it the gives me error cant find FSO.exe. Im runnin on windows 8 x84. And thnx in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:51:50 pm by themac7212 »

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Hi. So probably stupid question. I have installed retail Freespace 2 from GOG. In Launcher I have FSO, MediaVP's, and FS2 Retail available. When I click play on any of them it gives me error saying I need to move FSO.exe to Freespace 2 folder. But when I do this and click play it the gives me error cant find FSO.exe. Im runnin on windows 8 x84. And thnx in advance for any help.
And what of Total Conversions?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@themac7212: Can you please post a screenshot of the error messages? I can't tell which one you're talking about.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hi,

I downloaded 0.7.9 from the Knossos site, installed it and then said "yes" when it asked me if I wanted to update to 0.10.1. However, when the installation starts, it gets part way through and then cuts out with no message after getting to a certain point. When I try to run Knossos again after that, I get the below error and can't run it.

It seems like it's choking on not being able to install a certain file? It makes me wonder whether the old version is still using it while the update is going, and the installer terminates itself when it can't replace the old file.

How should I go about allowing it to update properly?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
How should I go about allowing it to update properly?
Should be able to grab the latest version here: https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Interesting. Haven't seen that problem before. Which AV do you use?

It makes me wonder whether the old version is still using it while the update is going, and the installer terminates itself when it can't replace the old file.
That can't happen. The updater waits until Knossos' process quits before it starts replacing files.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Interesting. Haven't seen that problem before. Which AV do you use?

I use Bitdefender Anti Virus Free Edition. Though after you asked about it I tried disabling it, installed 0.7.9 and then updated, and it worked fine. So maybe the AV stopped it for some reason. Thanks for that :)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Ah well.. it seems there is a character limit for the description of a mod, because i got an unknown error during my upload. The look into the log files say this:
Code: [Select]
4.description.String value is too long: ['releases']
Well, because the description is shown completely offline, i have to ask... how long can a description be?
Because i wrote them in two languages (tabs or something like that would be helpful, additionally to the planned changelog tab ^^) the description in question is 20279 characters long.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The current limit is 10240. I've added limits to all text input to make sure that I never accidentally store more data than expected in them. I never thought someone would reach that limit which is the reason you didn't get a proper error message. I could probably raise the limit. Does 100000 sound reasonable?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Does 100000 sound reasonable?

I also think that this 20k+ would be a very very rare exception because there are so many changes and additions in this mod... even the description in one language would be already problematic with 10k characters. But if i had knew this sooner, i would had simply reduced the description to the most important points and had added a forum thread link for the respective language for all the other information instead.

So well.. i am not sure if it is really necessary to make the limit higher. I could simply try to reorganize the description, though. Most important information for me is, character limit is 10240. That is a number i can work with in the future :).
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Why can't we have internal video hosting of our own?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Why can't we have internal video hosting of our own?

Because there's already this thing called YouTube? Apart from that, the number of mods that have trailers is rather limited.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
We could... but why? Why would you even try to implement a new hosting service when there are several free ones around? Especially given how much work it would take and money (since you'll need to buy servers in several geographic locations or rent a CDN), it's not even worth the effort.
Besides, that's completely out of scope for a mod installer/launcher.

If you create your own video service, we can talk about this again. Otherwise, it's pointless to bring up.

Also, as far as I can see that (I don't use Knossos myself), you already can watch trailers/other mod-related videos on YT, so there isn't any need for some custom platform.