Author Topic: Darkest Hour seriusly wth  (Read 3829 times)

Offline ShivanSpS

Darkest Hour seriusly wth
This is i want to smash my head on the wall bad.

How im supposed to do this? I have no weapons avalible for turret supressing the only fighter i have gets almost insta killed near that final corvette, my wingmens are crap AND even if i managed to destroy the two beams facing the Indus(a feat by itselft), the Indus is so dumb that it walks in the shooting arc of the other two beams in the other side!

The only way to win this is pure blind luck. I know because i already win it a few times, and every one of that it felt just luck. Even if get the vicent, beta, alpha and gamma alive to the end. And it 100% cant be done whiout the Vincent to help filling the space with missiles. And thats luck because even at 40% it could die before or shortly after the indus arrive.

This mission should have the Paveway avalible, at least in limited number to fill 1 bank.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:07:55 am by ShivanSpS »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Darkest Hour seriusly wth
Are you on latest version of BP? Difficulty?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
AND even if i managed to destroy the two beams facing the Indus(a feat by itselft), the Indus is so dumb that it walks in the shooting arc of the other two beams in the other side!
If memory serves, the ship actually rolls to present its undamaged beams.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ShivanSpS

Are you on latest version of BP? Difficulty?

yes on medium. with 3.8.0.

The Indus cant kill that corvette and the player cant do much to help because he has no tools avalible for that, other than doing a suicidal attack on the beams with all fighters, the anti-ship beams have WAY too much hitpoints, even so the AAA Beams can kill you and you cant do much about it.

The only way to win this is having the Vatican and almost full wings alive and hope you can distract the AAA guns at the exact moment so both the Vatican and the Indus deliver that first wave of missiles, that makes all the diference, if not, there is no way, because the player will be damaged and its crazy to get close with all those AAA beams, all wings will be dead or almost dead, and if you kill the anti-ship beams makes almost no diference as well because the Indus and the Vatican will be unable to deliver more damage or at least a significant amount of damage and the Indus will walk inside the shooting arc of the beams of the other side, SPECIALLY if the corvette gets disabled, that is also a very likely possibility.

-And the Vatican, depending were it is when the corvetter arrives, it may get killed or almost killed whiout anyone could do anything about it-

Maybe newer versions changed the mission behavior, but this is a classic get in and destroy turrets mission, Brie says it as well, so i find it odd i have no tools to do that. Javelin and Hellfire are very ineffective for this.

This is the only mission in the entire campaign that im not sure what to do, there are several difficult missions, but its only a matter of doing what needs to be done.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:42:01 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you running the latest version of BP, not SCP? Up to date from Knossos or the installer?

Offline ShivanSpS

Are you running the latest version of BP, not SCP? Up to date from Knossos or the installer?

Up to date from the installer, the Artemisia mission(not sure if i wrote that well) has a similar issue, whiout checkpoint its WAY too hard, and im talking about Medium, i cant imagige doing this on hard or insane.

And the reason of this is that the checkpoint is TOO GOOD, there is only 1 remaining remaining Serker corvette at very low hull that will jump out as soon as you drops it below 30%, this means, by the time the Diomedes jumps in, all ships in the are will start sending torpedos, this creates a distraction for AAA and point defense turrets that makes strikesa lot easier. Whiout checkpoint at most i can get 1 corvette to jump, 1, no chance to get rid of the other two, this means all allied ships will be keep shooting at them and not at the Diomedes.

For the Diomedes, whiout checkpoint, the same issue as before, use fighters as meat shield at the same moment i can get in with paveways, this way saturation strike and gunships can kill it. But at least i can do this because i have Paveways. I expended two and a half hours until i finally did it. You have to time everything right, and there is one chance to get it right. I dont know if this is intended, im a veteran player i can take the challenge, but seems a little to much to me. Specially considering the mission COUNTINUES after that, getting killed attacking the awacs after that will result in several insults.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:59:52 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, these aren’t supposed to be exceptionally hard sequences. I wonder if something changed in 3.8.

IMO Darkest Hour is the hardest mission during act 1 of the campaign, mostly due to it not being enough to fly well yourself, but you also need to keep track of your wingmates.
During the preparation, switch your Maul to slot 1 of your ship to utilize the 3 gun mounts for more DPS. Fit 2 banks of Dirks and 1 bank of Hellfires. Then throw a bank of Dirks on each of your wingmen.

As you jump in, order your rookies to destroy the starboard rear beam on the Deimos, while you destroy the starboard AAA beam (a few Dirk salvos should do the trick).
Then set your wingmen on the Artemis bombers, while you swing around to destroy the Deimos' 2 bow and port rear beams (which should reduce the beam count to 0).
After the Artemis are dealt with mop up as many fighters as possible, keep an eye out for another wing of Artemis jumping in close to the Vatican.
Now the Trebuchet strike will jump in, set all wingmen to guard the Vatican, another wing of Artemis will jump in, after this wing is splashed send your wing to deal with the Trebuchet strike while you rearm.

If you were fast in dealing with the Deimos, the Vatican should have around 35-40% HP

As the two wings of Boanerges jump in, notice which way the Rheza fighters (and Brie) go, and send your wingmen with them. Fly towards the other wing yourself, and assign Gamma to cover you when they arrive. (Here the Hellfires come in handy)
As Delta finally launches, you can either send them to guard the Vatican, or to attack the AWACS.
At this point you should have killed your Boanerges wing, and move back to Rheza and focus on intercepting bombs, and send Gamma to help with the AWACS.

Now we wait for the Valerie, order your wingmen to form on you and rearm.
The Valerie will jump and we wait, it launches bombers and we wait.
Once the bombers are 800-1000m away from the Valerie move in to kill them, then pull back and we wait.
The Indus then jumps in and unleashes a salvo of torpedos, and we wait.
As the second wave of torpedoes are closing in, move in with everything to disable the starboard beams on the Valerie, your Dirks should do around 5% beam damage per salvo so keep firing, while the Indus' torpedos draw most of their CIWS fire, if you start taking AAA beam damage or get within 500m, break off.
Do this for both beams. Then break off towards the Indus and try and kill the engines of the Valerie to prevent it's roll, if you succeed the fight should be over. If not, hide by the Indus and fire dirks at the port beams, if you kill one, the Indus should win the DPS race.

This should result in pretty consistent results, most my deaths are caused by staying too close to the Valerie too long, which can be very unhealthy for a Uhlan.

Offline Homura

One important note: If you order all ships (C 3) to disable a certain subsystem, the Indus will stop firering on the Valerie. If that happens, order all ships to destroy the Valerie or the mission is lost.

Is that the old "protect on cripple" thing?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I should probably just disable that order for the mission.

Offline ShivanSpS

Sorry for bring this up again, but i was watching the videos today, and i think there is a problem with ship orders in the Artemisia mission, the Indus and Yank never change objectives, they keep shooting at the Serker corvettes, and the "torpedo" cruicers do absolutely NOTHING in the mission, thats no related to player orders, they just do nothing. I belive thats the reason of the discrepancy of the save point, were there is just 1 corvette at 40% to the real gameplay were probably all 3 are still petty much ok. Only when all Serker corvette leave they do switch objectives.

Ive noticed the exact same issue on the final mission where ALL ships keep shooting at the carthage instead of start shooting at the Imperieuse.

Darkest hour i still cant pointpoint was wrong, its not the "C 3 4" they keep shooting all weapons at it, the only way is doing it Zapp Brannigan style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBm-PJylWQ