Author Topic: Would you watch FreeSpace or HLP videos on YouTube?  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Would you watch FreeSpace or HLP videos on YouTube?
Just brainstorming for now, but maybe this could inspire certain members of the community.  Would you be interested in watching videos produced on a semi-regular basis?  We already have the MediaVPs comparison video, but there are other things we as a community could produce, such as:

• Let's Play videos of various campaigns
  • FREDding tutorials
  • Modding tutorials
  • Livestreaming while playing
  • Livestreaming while FREDding
  • Livestreaming while modding
  • Interviews of community members
  • Mod spotlights
  • Newsletters in video form

And if you would watch these sorts of videos, how long should they be?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Re: Would you watch FreeSpace or HLP videos on YouTube?
Now that I've got a better comp, I might have the wherewithal to run OBS and do some FRED stream/tutorial suchlike. Or a complete playthrough of Lost #selfpromotion  :lol:

EDIT: Except that now as I think of it whenever I've tried to do youtube commentary I've always dropped it because my voice sounds like rubbish. No one's gonna want to listen to my speech impediment. Sounds like speaking through a slushie.  :p

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Let's Play series of campaigns is a very good consideration, since this community should have something to appeal to a player searching for good stuff, and what's the better way than through showing exactly how the game works with all the best campaigns, graphics and sweet sweet voice acting? :P Of course such videos could also double as playthrough tips for harder segments, like that one Her Finest Hour playthrough uploaded by MatthTheGeek, which was just perfect. Video length? One video per mission, I guess...

Tutorials are always useful, especially when there are some issues with Wiki documentations right now...

Live streams are also fun. After joining up with ScholarsPlay for that one Derelict stream, I'd happily join some more :P.

I'm not sure about interviews with community (and stuff like developer commentary) but seems like Axem has made a couple newsletter-ish videos back in the day and IMO they were a very good piece of content. Short and intense showoff of what's the best.

Mod spotlights? Maybe a couple people taking a campaign and discussing its aspects in a short video?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline starlord

FRED tutorials would be awesome on youtube. On a side note, I'd positively love it if people gave some love to less covered VA campaigns (like scroll, memories of the great war, OP Saviour, fall of EP, etc...).

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Have actually been looking for good new FS content the last few days; apart from Firesteel's videos, there doesn't seem to be much that I hadn't seen already. Would watch it for sure if there was new content.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just brainstorming for now, but maybe this could inspire certain members of the community.  Would you be interested in watching videos produced on a semi-regular basis?  We already have the MediaVPs comparison video, but there are other things we as a community could produce, such as:

• Let's Play videos of various campaigns
  • FREDding tutorials
  • Modding tutorials
  • Livestreaming while playing
  • Livestreaming while FREDding
  • Livestreaming while modding
  • Interviews of community members
  • Mod spotlights
  • Newsletters in video form

And if you would watch these sorts of videos, how long should they be?

I'd totally watch blind playthroughs by YouTubers who haven't ever played, especially if they started with FreeSpace Port.  I love watching people's first-time reactions to things that stuck a chord with me personally - it's the closest you can get to experiencing it for the first time all over again.  Plust, others watching will be likely to check out whatever it was.

Speaking of.  Goober, if you ever play through Subnautica, do it blind, and stream or record it.  I wanna watch! (anyone here have blind Subnautica playthroughs they've recorded?  Eh, I'm hijacking: feel free to split this part out).

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As a bit of a follow-up, I think that livestreams of FREDding and modding would be pretty unexciting. Lots of boring stretches, testing, bugfixing etc. And if the streamer was charismatic enough/interestined enough in chat to make it interesting, that probably takes enough focus away from the work of modding/FREDding that I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

Tuts might be a little different, I could imagine a slightly more slickly produced tutorial for some of the trickier elements, or even a series of tuts designed to get you through the basic steps of modding/FREDding with freeware software (Blender -> Lithunwrap -> GIMP -> PCS2), but it'd need somewhere who uses that software to make it.

Livestreams/blind playthroughs of new campaigns may be better, especially if done well (Firesteel's recent Derelict Livestream is a good example, the SpaceGameJunkies guys do something very much like this quite well too).

Reviews, interviews, newsletters etc. Would all be welcome.

One thing that would be cool would be a combination Let's Play and Interview. It'd be fun to stream a LP while the campaign creator was on the stream, so you could bounce players impressions back against the creator's intentions, kind of like a director's commentary on a movie. I think it'd be super cool for someone to play through, say, the first dozen missions of BtA with Mjn chatting to the streamer, or the whole of Vassago's Dirge with Axem. I'd definitely watch that sort of video.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I definitely think there should be more FS content out there (and again apologies for the dearth of content for over a year, life balance is an ethereal thing). I'll echo a lot of what Black Wolf said:

Dev streams might be good for a very niche audience but they aren't particularly exciting unless chat gets really engaged.

Interviews/dev commentary type things are what I'd probably be most interested in (and might make FREDing more accessible in a different way than tutorials would).

As far as the Hammer and the Anvil video I scrapped and am reworking goes, I need to get a non-FS video recorded and edited (but between other important deadlines and the smoke out here in CA, it'll be a bit and my throat/lungs are killing me right now). I'll likely be plugging a way on it during December, assuming I can get some usable words done this month before a conference paper deadline.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you want FRED Tutorials, give me some comments on the basic one I made last year. I planned to make more but never got around to it (partly cause of a lack of feedback). I would especially like to hear from people who have never FREDded. Does that tutorial help?

EDIT : I did eventually manage to upload it to YouTube. Look here. Bump the linked threads if you have comments so as to not take over this one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I pretty much completely agree with BW.  I especially like the combined interview/LP idea (I demand Axem as the first guest).
Regarding FRED tutorials, a video series on the basics would be helpful but I think the more advanced stuff would be better as text.  Once you know the interface, it's easier to follow a well-screenshotted articled (at least for me), since you can go at your own pace.  That being said, maybe some people would find a video more accessible than a huge wall of text.
Finally, bigchunk made a modding basics video series that should be at least mostly still relevant, since it goes over stuff like tabling and PCS2.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If you want FRED Tutorials, give me some comments on the basic one I made last year. I planned to make more but never got around to it (partly cause of a lack of feedback). I would especially like to hear from people who have never FREDded. Does that tutorial help?

EDIT : I did eventually manage to upload it to YouTube. Look here. Bump the linked threads if you have comments so as to not take over this one.

It's entirely possible that people didn't download it, preferring to wait until it was on YouTube.  I watched it myself and liked it, but didn't have anything to say beyond what Unknown Target said.

Now that it's on YouTube, could you list it under the Hard Light Productions channel?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Now that I've got a better comp, I might have the wherewithal to run OBS and do some FRED stream/tutorial suchlike. Or a complete playthrough of Lost #selfpromotion  :lol:

EDIT: Except that now as I think of it whenever I've tried to do youtube commentary I've always dropped it because my voice sounds like rubbish. No one's gonna want to listen to my speech impediment. Sounds like speaking through a slushie.  :p

If you wanted to use the good old robot voice narration I can help you with that, since I'm skilled at getting it to sound (almost) human. Blind Pew's Elite Dangerous channel shows it done right :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVyHthMc2pM
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Speaking with my 'HLP Social Media Manager hat' on, yes, more YT videos is definitively needed - and they need to be on the HLP youtube channel, or at least shared with it. There are quite a few high quality FS videos on YT, but they are scatterd around all over the place, so finding them takes some effort, which a casual observer will not go to.

Video is taking up an ever increasing share of the social media marketplace. To stay relevant, HLP will need to get on board with it. This forum is great for existing members, but lets be honest, it is not exactly eye catching. Neither is Reddit or Discord.

Videos showing the MVP eye-candy is very eye catching however :-) When I posted this video on Reddit a month or so ago I got this response "That is much prettier than the Freespace 2 I remember. Getting it."  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp12YViGsV4&feature=youtu.be)

FREDding and modding tutorials will be very useful. Tutorial are very popular on YT. Indeed, some people find out how to do things just from watching them and little else.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline crizza

I would definetly watch someone streaming while modeling a capship in Blender... I have started time and time again, but everytime I stop practicing.