Author Topic: [WIP] More Radar Icons  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Svedal

[WIP] More Radar Icons
I've been making radar icons to replace the sparse ones in the optional MVPs package. I've done 40 retail ships so far, including every warship (but no strikecraft!) and most of the setpieces like toe Boadicea and Knossos. I'll probably finish the retail FS2 ships tomorrow, then move to popular mods.

I'd appreciate feedback on the icons I've made so far. I've attached them [edit edit: attached updated icons to this post] in a .zip with a radar-shp.tbm that can be extracted directly into any MVPs mod folder with the radar icons package installed. Note that ships I haven't gotten to yet will use the default dot, even with the MVPs icons installed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:15:34 pm by Svedal »

Offline Svedal

Re: [WIP] More Radar Icons
I have finished icons for almost everything in the MediaVPS. Exceptions are jumpnodes, most fighters (I arbitrarily chose one fighter and bomber from each species; I plan on making the rest), and some of the more common fanon. Every ship in the FS2 campaign should have an icon rn.

It's still WIP, since:
- I'm having a bit of trouble getting any orthographic screenies of the Ganymede.
- Icons are out of scale in game; it'll take a bit of time fiddling with the radar shp.tbm to get it right.
- I'll probably go back and thicken the outlines on many of the icons I've made.

But it's basically a complete set at this point. I've attached a link if one wants to try it; same deal as before, extract directly into the MediaVPs mod folder with the optional Radar Icons package installed.

[attachment yoinked]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 03:02:34 pm by Svedal »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Great work! I do wonder if you're available to create radar icons for fan-made ships, once you're done with canon FS1-2 ships, of course. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Svedal

I plan on covering Blue Planet, Inferno, and Solaris at the minimum. I might also branch out into briefing icons if Mjn's .ani maker works out for my laptop.

Offline Svedal

Every ship has an icon, except a few things I don't expect will be missed (mostly cargo variants and sentry guns. Probably will make more sentry guns anyway). All that's left is tuning the icons scaling them in game for visibility.

I'm adding the icon .zip to the first post like a good noodle.

Offline Svedal

It's difficult to keep these icons from covering each other without making them too small to read at all, so I've been experimenting with a few other icon schemes: one using letters, one using tiny symbols, so on.

Probably going to be a few more days before I can do much more.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
radar-shp.tbm has no entry for the Shaitan, sadface.  :(

EDIT: It looks like compatibility with FS1 Vasudan craft may be busted due to GVF/PVF confusion.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:54:55 pm by Antares »
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
This pleases me, but it had some errors that needed fixing, so I'm attaching an updated copy of radar-ship.tbm here. Among the fixes:

- Various typos in ship names and the corresponding radar icon used (the Amazon was using the icon for the Herc, for example)
- Several FS1-era ships were missing entirely, including the Anubis, the Shaitan, and the Amun. These have been added. I also added the Karnak, since it's used in Silent Threat: Reborn.
- The table referenced a nonexistent icons for both the Leviathan and the Lilith. These entries have been changed so that they use the icons for the Fenris and the Cain, respectively.
- Vasudan craft weren't displaying correctly in FSPort campaigns because these campaigns use the old PVF/PVB designations from FS1, not the GVF/GVB designations from FS2. To get around this, duplicate entries were created for Vasudan ships that appear in both FS1 and FS2.
- SF Mara (Terrans) was added to the Terran ship list, so your wingmen will display correctly in Into the Lion's Den.

Outstanding issues:

- The icon file for the Astaroth is misspelled "radar-asteroth.dds" in the hud folder. This can be fixed by renaming the ship in the table or renaming the icon file, but either way, you'll be wrong.  :nono:
- The Ganymede has an icon file, but no corresponding entry in the table. Since you never actually see a Ganymede during the campaign, this isn't critical.
- The Rahu has two separate entries in the table, one labeled "SG Rahu," and the other "SSG Rahu." This owes to the fact that the SSG prefix is normally used for sentry guns, although the separate entries are probably redundant.
- There's an icon for Terran (?) cargo containers, but no entries for any containers in the table.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:53:28 pm by Antares »
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Svedal

Thanks for this. I've since decided that icons of this nature make the radar too cluttered to be usable, and I've switched to supplying icons for Lafiel and Mito's hud overlay script. Find that here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97207

I was rushed for time when I put the latest update out for this little adventure. Christmas retail hell and all that. I do appreciate you coming back and cleaning up the mess I made of things! I've caught myself misspelling Astaroth and inventing Leviathan and Lilith icons I haven't made even for the overlay script.

I still plan on making a set of usable radar icons, but they'll take a very different form: probably small geometric shapes for each type of ship, rather than small versions of individual classes.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I still plan on making a set of usable radar icons, but they'll take a very different form: probably small geometric shapes for each type of ship, rather than small versions of individual classes.

This is exactly what the current radar icons are, using the FS1 briefing icon representations of those ship classes. Why change it?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

My 2 cent: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97340.0

Using Svedalrain's icons as a base and making changes to improve visual clarity.