Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589021 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
SPACE COURT indeed.

It will be interesting if their construct of a dozen interconnected shell companies will help them out in this case.
But if the original licence agreement between Crytek and CIG really contains the things that Crytek is now citing, then it's time to get the popcorn out.

And obviously the original warlord is twittering his fingers off.

19. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a promise by Defendants to use CryEngine for the development of only one video game. During the negotiation of the terms of the GLA, Crytek made it clear that the game license would not cover anything more.

20. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA expressly states that CIG has a license only to "embed CryEngine in the Game and develop the Game." The GLA limits the use of the CryEngine computer program to a single video game called Star Citizen.

21. Exhibit 2 of the GLA states that "the Game does not include any content  being sold and marketed separately," such as content "sold and marketed as a separate, standalone PC game."

22. On December 16, 2015, Defendants announced that "Squadron 42," a single-player video game involving space combat, would be sold separately from Star Citizen.

23. On January 29, 2016, Defendants made a further public announcement about Squadron 42, stating that it would be made available for purchase as a stand-alone video game.

24. On February 5, 2016, Crytek notified Defendants that their plan to distribute Squadron 42 as a standalone game was not covered by the GLA's license,  because the GLA did not grant Defendants a license to embed CryEngine in any game other than Star Citizen.

25. On February 14, 2016, Defendants moved forward with their plan for Squadron 42 notwithstanding their failure to obtain a license and began offering the video game for separate purchase. As a result, Defendants are intentionally and willfully using CryEngine without a license and in violation of copyright laws.

26. On December 23, 2016, in reference to Star Citizen and Squadron 42, Defendants announced that "oth games are currently in development and are  backed by a record-breaking $139 million crowd funded effort."

27. Crytek has not been compensated for Defendants' unlicensed use of Crytek technology in the Squadron 42 game, and has been substantially harmed by  being deprived of that compensation, which would ordinarily include a substantial up-front payment as well as a substantial royalty on game sales.

The list goes on, but these are already some juicy bits
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:12:42 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Aesaar

entering a permanent injunction enjoining and restraining Defendants from continuing to possess or use the Copyrighted Work and a  preliminary and permanent injunction requiring Defendants, and all those acting in concert or participation with Defendants, from infringing or encouraging, aiding or abetting others to infringe the Copyrighted Work;

In short: "You can't use any of our technology or anything built upon it."  Which would include **** like the local physics grid and the 64-bit conversion.  On its own, this kills the project.  They'd have to restart their engine development with Lumberyard.  Hell, even Lumberyard might not be an option if Amazon doesn't want to risk being seen as affiliated with CIG over this.

Also, since CIG's agreement with Coutts put up SQ42 as collateral, and SQ42 might not even have a right to exist, Coutts could immediately call in their loan to CIG.  Banks don't usually like it when it turns out a client doesn't own the collateral they put up.

Or maybe I'm misreading this completely because I'm not a lawyer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:17:21 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Did they not switched to Lumberyard?

Technically they do not use the license-based CryEngine anymore.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Did they not switched to Lumberyard? They do not use CryEngine anymore.

Yeah about that:

Defendants Broke Its Promise to Exclusively Use CryEngine for the Game
36. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a critical promise from Defendants that they would not develop the Star Citizen video game using any other video game engines.

37. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA states that Defendants have a license only to "exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game."

38. On December 23, 2016, Defendants announced that they were using the Amazon Lumberyard video game engine for Star Citizen. The GLA did not permit Defendants to use any other video game engine in Star Citizen except for CryEngine.

39. Crytek has been damaged by Defendants' breach of Section 2.1.2 of the GLA, including for the reason that Crytek has failed to receive the benefit of the favorable attention that it otherwise would have derived from Defendants' use of CryEngine in Star Citizen.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

entering a permanent injunction enjoining and restraining Defendants from continuing to possess or use the Copyrighted Work and a  preliminary and permanent injunction requiring Defendants, and all those acting in concert or participation with Defendants, from infringing or encouraging, aiding or abetting others to infringe the Copyrighted Work;

In short: "You can't use any of our technology or anything built upon it."  Which would include **** like the local physics grid and the 64-bit conversion.  On its own, this kills the project.  They'd have to restart their engine development with Lumberyard.  Hell, even Lumberyard might not be an option if Amazon doesn't want to risk being seen as affiliated with CIG over this.

I think they'd have to go all the way through court before they had to actually stop using stuff based on CryEngine, and they'd probably settle well before that point if it was going that badly. So I wouldn't be too hopeful for a hilarious dramatic collapse here.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Also, since CIG's agreement with Coutts put up SQ42 as collateral, and SQ42 might not even have a right to exist, Coutts could immediately call in their loan to CIG.  Banks don't usually like it when it turns out a client doesn't own the collateral they put up.

Or maybe I'm misreading this completely because I'm not a lawyer.
I really hope this is exactly how it is.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So they want compensation for both:
- using CryEngine for more than 1 game
- not using CryEngine
?
What the **** am I reading? Is Crytek just desperate at this point?
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So they want compensation for both:
- using CryEngine for more than 1 game
- not using CryEngine
?
What the **** am I reading? Is Crytek just desperate at this point?

No, Crytek does have a point here. They signed an agreement with CIG that had a few very specific terms (like only making one game, providing patches, prominently displaying the cryengine logo, keeping the CE source confidential and in-house), and then CIG went and switched to lumberyard, spun off S42, shared their source code with third party studios.... Crytek makes a good point about how CIG is in breach of contract here.
Like all lawsuits like this, this is probably a cash grab heading for a settlement; Crytek is under new ownership, and said owners would really like a return on investment, and getting really particular about licensing agreements is a good way to get there. But that doesn't mean it's meritless in and of itself.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

There are so many nails and so few coffins....

Offline Aesaar

I'll break it down as I understand it.

Crytek issues CIG a license to use CryEngine to develop one game: Star Citizen.  They also agree to provide assistance in developing a game with that engine.

In exchange, CIG agree to pay royalties on game sales.  They agree to publicize their use of CryEngine for the game.  They agree to provide Crytek with any bugfixes and other technical improvements they make to the engine.  They also agree not to share proprietary engine source code with third parties.

First few years, no real issues.  CIG develops the game on CryEngine, there's a CryEngine splash screen, yadda yadda yadda.  All the technology CIG builds, they build on CryEngine.

Until CIG spilt SC and SQ42 into separate packages.  Now CIG aren't making one game, they're making two.  But they only paid to make one.  Contract breached.

Then, they switch to Lumberyard.  Now they're not publicizing how they're using CryEngine, obviously because they're not.  They've moved to Lumberyard.  But all the tech they moved over, like the ship-specific local physics grid and the 64-bit precision, that was all built on CryEngine's back, with Crytek assistance, under terms CIG are no longer honoring because they're no longer using CryEngine for the game.  Contract breached.

Bugsmashers.  In videos, CIG show engine data they are not authorized to share.  Contract breached.

Sure, it's probably a cash grab by Crytek, but you can't say they don't have a leg to stand on here.  If this ****'s true, CIG ****ed up hard.

There are so many nails and so few coffins....

Would JPEGs of coffins be suffecient?

Sure, it's probably a cash grab by Crytek, but you can't say they don't have a leg to stand on here.  If this ****'s true, CIG ****ed up hard.

I'd like to think of it as Crytek getting a refund.

You win the thread.  I actually fell out of my chair laughing.

Offline Axem

Closing thread because nothing can top this.

Good run everyone.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

It hasn't happened yet but Leonard French is going to do a show on it I guess and I would trust him mostly in terms of things like this.

It hasn't happened yet but Leonard French is going to do a show on it I guess and I would trust him mostly in terms of things like this.

You gotta remove the whole website part of the link and leave just the youtube video ID if you want to use the yt tags.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Well I did not know that. Seemed to work fine on my end. Now I know

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Tell him to wait until squadron 42 or 4.0. I love watching and testing what we have now, but SC PU will be rough for a very long time. That doesn't mean we won't get worthwhile updates, it just means that we currently have ~5-10% of Chris Roberts' complete vision. I personally think 80% pays the bills, and since last year, a lot of tech, ships, and systems needed to be reworked.

Of course there will always be the need to innovate on past designs. But in 2018 we should see a lot of growth with the tech tools they have been working on to give to their designers.

This is just sad.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
2015 2016 2017 2018 will be the year that all the work on the pipelines will pay off and development will really pick up and a lot of content will be released.