Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 81836 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
KNOW YOUR FOE: From the Desk of Doctor Fox
We have a whole heck of a mess. There's a Dreadnaught on the bottom off the coast of Morocco, and another Fleet Supply Cruiser was shot down near the Florida Keys. The Triton will be taking off to assault the Dreadnaught shortly, but first, we need to get everybody briefed in.

Weapons
Most of you are familiar with the Sonic Cannon now. If you aren't, you should be. We'll also cover its smaller cousins, which aren't likely to be issued here but might be at Xenowatch. The Sonic system of weapons is very impressive, and in all honesty there are parts of it we still don't truly understand; coherence of the bolt for one. But we can copy what we see, and in the end all you really need to know is which end you point and what you pull to shoot. A sidenote: the person who chose the name "Blasta" has been sacked.

Enemies

As near as we can determine, these Sectoids are not actually affiliated with the Ethereal Empire like the ones we fought in 1999. They're running their own show. Our captures have been unfortunately low-ranked so we know relatively little, but they were quite surprised to discover both the current date and the First Alien War. We think, although we can't prove, that this group was on the run from the Ethereal Empire when they accidentally crashed their ship (or city; they've described it both ways and don't appear to get Stargate Atlantis jokes) into Earth.

The Gillmen are something of a surprise. We knew, for example, there were male and female Floaters back during the First Alien War, but the distinction was academic after the surgical hatchet job the Ethereals did on them. This is the first time we've ever encountered direct evidence for the concept. No, for the record, female Gill Men aren't very sexy. The difference is in fact hard to assess at a glance. The Gillmen appear to regard us as usurpers and despoilers of a world that should have been theirs. They also resent their servitude to the Sectoids, which was a survival choice, but we doubt we can use this for psy-ops or a wedge between the two groups. They hate us more, and the Sectoids' Molecular Control tech makes it unlikely a Gillmen rebellion would get far.

The Lobstermen appear to be the Sectoid answer to the Mutons. There is, however, no question of their being a naturally evolved creature.. Lobstermen are manufactured, not born; most of them is mechanical and assembled, then biological bits plugged in. There are only a few components that are completely biological; the brain, one of the three pairs of eyes, magnetic sensing organs which let them operate at deep and murky depths without getting lost. Of interest is that their claws have a similar hydraulic boost system to the Chryssalids, though mechanical rather than biological. We don't know what to make of that, considering the two branches of aliens we've fought are separated by several million years.

They are also far more intelligent than Mutons; they easily show a human level of problem-solving ability. The good news is, we think they're slow to manufacture. If we keep killing them at our current rate we might be able to wipe them out in a year or two, assuming no further manufacturing capacity is brought online.

The Deep Ones can be summed up as "disturbing". If we fail, they could well be the future of the human race. They are part Sectoid, part human host. They could be considered a failed experiment, since they're not as tough as either, but their skin material could make good armor if it were applied more than paper-thin and we've learned a lot about how to make such a suit by studying Deep One anatomy.

This is a mistake the aliens have made. We expect it to cost them dearly.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
Interesting, most interesting.
I like reading those
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
There were both green and grey guys, are the both Gillmen?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
There were both green and grey guys, are the both Gillmen?

Deep Ones are actually grey-brown in the game, the pictures for these are just bad and wrong. (Like them having weapons; they never do.)

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Also I've been informed PB might be freaking out, so it might or might not be time to delay until I can get their premium service.

A Feddie Story

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The Lobstermen appear to be the Sectoid answer to the Mutons. There is, however, no question of their being a naturally evolved creature.. Lobstermen are manufactured, not born; most of them is mechanical and assembled, then biological bits plugged in. There are only a few components that are completely biological; the brain, one of the three pairs of eyes, magnetic sensing organs which let them operate at deep and murky depths without getting lost. Of interest is that their claws have a similar hydraulic boost system to the Chryssalids, though mechanical rather than biological. We don't know what to make of that, considering the two branches of aliens we've fought are separated by several million years.

Might just be a case of convergent evolution, both species arriving separately to the same result.  Won't be the first time someone has had the same idea as someone else.

Also I've been informed PB might be freaking out, so it might or might not be time to delay until I can get their premium service.

Have you considered Imageshack?  It's slower, but doesn't do stupid things like that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
So. The Dreadnaught. Is that thing. It's huge.

jg18, next time we want a little distance, okay? Two aliens to the south; we think those things are stun weapons but we're not sure.

BlueFlames got the one near the container, BloodEagle the one near the ship. BlueFlames got a kill, BloodEagle just a stun.

Goddammit, a loss on the breach. (IronBeer.) This thing just turned one of our people into a zombie which spawned another of them, just like a Chryssalid. We killed all of them, but dammit.

Apparently this ship too has a bunch of holes in the hull while moving around at over 740 knots even at cruise speed. At least some of them are on both sides.

Outside, we've still got nothing. Inside, we have the game continuing to make hideous spitting noises even when I turn the music off. **** you, game, **** you. Jack finds another alien with the stunny thing and shoots it, and it returns fire. Then this  happens: It just knocked three of us and itself unconscious. BlueFlames, BloodEagle, and Jack probably aren't going to wake up anytime soon.

The E and MP-Ryan got this one, but there's one without a gun running around somewhere.

Found it and killed it, same pair.

They're just running to get shot by these two now. Until, at least, they survive, and fire their silly stungun to stun themselves and The E. Dammit people, laying down on the job.

StarSlayer got killed; not by the torpedo-armed alien's gun, it blew its shot, but got him with its claws. MP-Ryan stuns it but we've got another one with a similar weapon still.

They stunned BloodEagle, but between him and MP-Ryan we killed the stunner, now we've got mxlm stunning the torpcarrier.

Mission Complete. And the UFO recovery team thought they were busy earlier.

Considering the state of the squad, we're not going after the downed FSC. We don't have enough able bodies with guns to take on another large ship full of Lobstermen.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:58:07 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Active Duty
Squad One, WithFeeling
BlueFlames, Able Seaman
BloodEagle, Able Seaman *
MPRyan, Ensign
Mongoose, Ensign
Jack Folstam, Able Seaman
mxlm, Able Seaman *
The E, Able Seaman
LordMelvin, Seaman
The_Force, Seaman
deathfun, Seaman

Squad Two, XenoWatch
LHN91, Seaman
Dilmah G, Seaman
MatthTheGeek, Seaman
Kobrar44, Seaman
pecenipicek, Seaman
Madcat, Seaman
Ravenholme, Seaman
Col. Fishguts, Seaman
Rhymes_With_Psycho, Seaman
Hades, Seaman

Support Staff
Spoon (WithFeeling Tanks)
Scotty (Barracuda 1)
FireSpawn (Barracuda 2)
jg18 (Triton 1)
Argenteus a.k.a. Fox (Head of Biology/sometime trooper)
z64555 (Head of Technology/sometime trooper)
Dragon (Barracuda 3)
Turambar (Xenowatch Tanks)

In The Queue
Not Recruited Yet

Alex Heartnet
z64555
Veers
Dekker
ZekeSulastin
Gortef
Backslash
esarai
DireWolf

Second Lifers
Goober5001
Sandwich
SpardaSon22
CommanderDJ 2.0
Scourge of Rages
Talon 1025

Special Offsite Request

Argenteus a.k.a. Fox

A Feddie Story

Then this  happens: It just knocked three of us and itself unconscious. BlueFlames, BloodEagle, and Jack probably aren't going to wake up anytime soon.

Anytime is a good time for naptime!

Active Duty
Squad One, WithFeeling
BlueFlames, Able Seaman

Umm....  Holy ****.  I figured that, with my luck, whilst napping, I'd be expected to catch an armed grenade.  I'm glad the rest of the squad was able to educate the savage, alien scum about the sanctity of naptime!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Who else was killed besides StarSlayer?  I don't think you mentioned a name on that one.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Oh, we'll definitely have fun with the Alien Re-animation tech. Live-fire Live-Target practice for X-Com Aquanauts will be expected by the end of Q2.  :yes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Who else was killed besides StarSlayer?  I don't think you mentioned a name on that one.

Oops. That was because at the time, I didn't see. Meant to edit that in. IronBeer.

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
After the stun hit, I was afraid none of us were going to make it out.  Well, actually I was unconscious.  But my first thought after getting back up was that.
--Personal log entry 01

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Wait I have BloodEagle get stunned twice. What.

TFTDDDDDDD!

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Reincarnation? Pah, same old dude!
And forty years older!  (Which is probably why you had to re-learn all your skills.)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Squad Two, XenoWatch
Kobrar44, Seaman

Just Kobrar. 44 is just my age.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's important, so we can put in 45 when you die.

If you die. Which is really pretty likely, but we do have Mag Ion Armor in the pipe.

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
A bit too late for me...lol
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Any high ranking catches with our many captures that last time?
Man, we've recovered so many alien technology and materials with these last two missions, the techlab is going to have a field day.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Any high ranking catches with our many captures that last time?
Man, we've recovered so many alien technology and materials with these last two missions, the techlab is going to have a field day.

We nabbed the Commander off the Dreadnaught, and we've got a couple of Navigators and a Squad Leader.

Basically we have everything we need to finish the game in theory. I'm still probably going to run a Colony Assault at some point just to show it off.

A Feddie Story