Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 81850 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
We missed our second sub, as it outran Barracuda 2 and FireSpawn when it came off the bottom, and Triton 1 did not arrive in time.

Our good news is that we're planning to exploit a new weapons' market, much as we did the last time, in Gauss weaponry, and we've gotten in replacements: Mongoose, KyadCK, and by special offsite request via Steam, Jack Folstam.

At the moment Triton-1 is at its cruising depth of 1000 feet, in route to the Canary Islands where an alien attack has been reported. We're landing in darkness, unfortunately. Flares and IC rounds are issued.

There are some nice little resort houses here. Those will have to be checked. The good news is the windows aren't ones you can fire through easily.

BlueFlames sets an alien on fire, but Kyad brings it down with a couple of Jet Harpoon shots (out of six). It's the reptile men again. Others are reported to the north. Another to the southwest, apparently unarmed. KyadCK empties the remaining four rounds in his Jet Harpoon at it for one hit and no visible effect. Watsisname and Jack both take careful aim and then miss. Goddamn it, Jet Harpoon!

StarSlayer spots an alien and shoots it in the side with a reaction shot. It ducks for cover, but he pursues. It takes two of his autoshot rounds to bring it down after the first one misses. (Yes, at this range. **** these guns forever.)

Meanwhile, Kyad reloads and fires, and along with Jack and watsisname misses an aimed shot at their own alien. The ****er who designed these things better also jump in front of an alien weapon rather than let me catch them. Watsisname finally brings it down next turn after Kyad and Jack both miss again.

BloodEagle enters a house, kills the occupying grey-brown alien, and exits the same way.

Vacation-goers. Eyes off the swimsuits, people, unless you want to literally lose your head.

Shots are taken at StarSlayer and the tank. This alien wins top marks for sneaky, having hidden on the top floor of the house, but scores very poorly on target selection since it saw Mongoose and BloodEagle and then turned to fire at a civilian instead. (Though it did kill her.)

It took all three rounds of an auto burst from Bloodeagle to bring them down.

StarSlayer spots an alien on the roof of the hotel and though he gets a hit, fails to bring it down.

Oh and there's another inside the hotel.

Another emerges from the back of the hotel while more shots are taken at the Tank, or StarSlayer. Jack, on the opposite side of the map, has an alien fire a pair of inaccurate rifle shots at him; next to it is another of the gray-brown ones. Jack hits the rifleman once, Kyad hits the other. Watsisname throws a collection of clean misses. BlueFlames, whose incendiary rounds burn oddly yellow all things considered, contributes by setting the rifle-wielding alien on fire. But it's MP-Ryan who gets the kill, emerging from behind one of the resort houses to fire enfilade.

The alien on top of the hotel goes down with a second round sticking out of its head, this one from Scourge of Ages.

BloodEagle throws a grenade northward while Scourge of Ages engages the alien which came out of the back of the hotel. Neither gets a perfect shot, although BloodEagle at least did not need to. Scourge of Ages takes cover. The alien fires...but at the tank. They really don't like tanks.

Jack gets his first kill, bringing down the second alien that he spotted after it attempts to flee.

BloodEagle's grenade does its work effectively.

A couple of snapshots from StarSlayer and Scourge of Ages take down the one that came out of the hotel.

Mongoose blasts open the hotel for Scourge of Ages to take a few shots at the alien inside. One hits, but it's not enough. It tries to hide as BloodEagle also takes it under fire. Mongoose is having none of its bull**** and follows up with a second HE round that blasts wooden shrapnel everywhere, from the size of a toothpick to the nice arm-sized chunk currently embedded in the alien's chest.

It is not open bar! This one took a pair of shots, one from watsisname (who fired carefully past MP-Ryan) and one from MP-Ryan, and stayed standing.

An alien on the second level of the hotel blew itself a hole to throw through and then tossed a grenade at Kyad's feet. Despite the fact several people were in the theoritical blast radius (actually, I count three), quirks of terrain shielded two of them. But not Kyad. The alien MP-Ryan was facing didn't attack but fled into the dining area. He pursued and brought it down.

Scourge of Ages finds the alien which killed Kyad. He fires two good rounds, but it takes two more from StarSlayer to finish the job. Jack Folstam locates the another pair of grey-browns, one ducking in and out of a bunkerlike structure, one in the open. Four shots at the one in the open get only one hit, and this isn't one of the total wimp grey-browns. BlueFlames misses with an HE round, but follows with another next turn that actually does the job even if it was short by half a meter.

BlueFlames then brings down the ducker with a reaction shot. He also notices the Moai. Why are there Moai on the Canary Islands? Well, apparently history is a lie too.

MP-Ryan finds the last one deep inside the bunker.

Mission Complete.

We initially didn't intend to issue Gauss weaponry and instead wait for alien-tech guns, but after this fiasco the immediate production and issuing of Gauss Rifles has been mandated. (Which is just as well, as we didn't have enough Jet Harpoon ammo to fully rearm when we returned to base.) We're also going to switch over to alien grenades shortly following the failure of the Magnablast thrown at Goober's killer to do the job.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
These HLPX-COM operatives are dropping like flies
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's kind of perverse, but there's a lot more garbage clogging the sight lines underwater than there is on land a lot of the time. If I can see them, the odds are I can protect my troopers from them, so open terrain favors us most of the time.

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I'd like to requisition the AirWolf team to install an upgrade for my barracuda. A turbine booster will work wonders on my ability to catch those fish rogering intersolar foreigners!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Sigh... that sucks. Was there enough left for cloning?

Also, the hell happened to plasma weps? Back in the first war we could fly, we could take hits from just about anything, we didnt have crappy guns, and we sure as hell showed the doors who's boss back then too. :hopping: Damn politicians were probably getting on our ass about how its not politically correct to just gun down a door... 
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Holy ****, stop shooting at my (uglyashell) tank! Get off mah planet (again) alien scumbugs! (or bags)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
And China just derped out on us and signed a pact with aliens. They're not even operating near the base so we can intercept them, and...yeah.

At this point I'm really not optimistic about this goddamn game.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Terror attack in Bombay. Mount up folks, we'll be landing in daylight.

We're still short on accuracy, but as BlueFlames and StarSlayer demonstrated here by killing two aliens bracketing a civlian, not on stopping power.

It took us quite a few shots to bring down this guy; BlueFlames fired four, Mongoose one, and mxlm four, but Jack finally brought it down with his second.

This one took a round to the face from BlueFlames, quick and clean for once.

This one on the other hand required aimed fire from about five people to drop, with the final shot going to BloodEagle.

Jack kills an alien, and a forklift, real good. He's lucky the forklift blowing up didn't hurt him.

BlueFlames makes the first combat use of the alien Sonic Pulser. Over the fence, into the yard, detonation in three...two...one...it's good!

mxlm makes his own first kill checking a disused train depot.

Mongoose responds to the movement of multiple aliens south of him with another Sonic Pulser and calls for backup. He gets one kill with grenade; the other was out of the blast radius and rushes up to meet Jack, who shoots it in the face. Another emerges from the flames caused by BlueFlames' earlier Sonic Pulser and fires at Jack, but misses. Jack has time to note that the alien is itself on fire. Scourge of Ages spots another offering support and brings it down with an HE round, before Jack kills the one on fire.

mxlm, turning to engage aliens spotted on the second level of the train depot by BloodEagle, hits one, then the other, with an auto burst. But he only kills one of them. He resigns himself to a quick death.

It does not happen. Impossibly, the enemy trooper panics and drops his weapon. mxlm gets his third kill of the mission.

Mission Complete. Once again, I'm not sure where we killed a civvie.

A Feddie Story

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Question: do you have an established marching order that you're moving us out of the vehicle?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Sorta. The tank goes first, then the people tucked behind it, and then the other eight move out in their order of who's closest to the door. The game determines where you stand when the Triton lands and I don't have much control over that.

Also!

Gauss tech is based on the alien plasma weapons of the first war. Even forty years later, with active mining on Mars,  Elerium is an incredibly precious resource. Its use in military applications is strictly forbidden, particularly after we declassified what you can do with an Elerium-boosted nuke. Replacement technologies had to be pursued.

Alien weapons technology is based upon directed soundwaves. It's a fairly well-adapted method of fighting underwater, and they're extremely powerful. They don't work as well on land, but they're still effective and the screeching they make when they fire is hard to forget. Sonic Pulsers are an omnidirectional application of this technology with over twice the lethal radius of our grenades.

A Feddie Story

Offline watsisname

Mission Complete. Once again, I'm not sure where we killed a civvie.

Might've been one of the grenades?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
What's the squad composition look like?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
And then I lost the whole squad to Tasoths from ****ing nowhere on my sixth mission and there were ****ing Triscenes and Nautoloids and SCOURGE I'D LIKE TO EXTEND A SPECIAL **** YOU for suggesting I play this on Superhuman.

Seriously. Scourge of Ages himself was damn near untouchable, kept his cool to the end as last man standing, but I couldn't pull this out.

THE ALIENS MAY CONQUER EARTH, BUT I CAN RESTART THIS GODDAMN GAME AT A LOWER DIFFICULTY.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
were you seriously playing tftd on something other than beginner!?

don't DO that

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Indeed I was.

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The shame is eternal!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I haven't actually seen the game lost movie, yet, but I'm pretty sure it's coming.

A Feddie Story

ROFL! Sorry, about that I guess. Pretty awesome way to go out though. Tasoths. That's harsh.

Even though we all died, I'd still like to say:
I am the greatest! I am untouch-  :beamz:

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay, so.

Once more, from the top, tomorrow.

A Feddie Story