Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The FRED Workshop

[PREVIEW] The Lost Generation - Ashcroft

(1/11) > >>

0rph3u5:
HLP, I've come to bargain!

Some years back I dropped a campaign which was done for the most part because of RL. Back then it was kinda convenient because I was drawing a blank on how I should resolve a crucial moment mid-way through the campaign. With some time and distance I came up with a solution to that, so I am going to resurrect this campaign and make it ready for release at the end of year, alongside the updated versions of Memories of the Great War.
(I said it, mark the calender)....

The Lost Generation - Ashcroft was originally conceived along a companion campaign to bridge time and flesh out characters for another project, which will not be revived in the same manner. However since plot-points from the Ashcroft-segment also feed back into Of Shivans and Men, it was an even better candidate to bring back.

As for what you can expect from the story:

You are a pilot in 10th Polaris Volunteers, a NTF-reserve unit. However "reserve unit" is just a fancy word for accelerated flight training and you are sure to be shipped off to the frontlines against the GTVA, for the war with Alliance is going badly.

But you are unlike your comrades in the squadron, you are no idealist nor are you as angry with the universe as everyone else seems to be. You are looking to tie up an increasingly pressing loose end ... to have certainty, even if that means to fight, and perhaps die, in the process.

Just as you try to find your answers, you are stumbling into a greater game...

So that you don't think I am overly optimistic about that deadline:
Mission 1 - Done
Mission 2 - Done
Mission 3 - Done
Mission 4 - Done
Mission 5 - Done
Mission 6 - Done
Mission 7 - Done
Mission 8 - Done
Mission 9 - Done
Mission 10 - WIP (A-Scenario: Stage 2/4 done; B-Scenario: Stage 1/4 done)
Mission 11 - Done
Mission 12 - Done
Mission 13 - Done
Mission 14 - Done
Mission 15 - Done
Mission 16 - Done
Mission 17 - Done
Mission 18 - Done
Credits & Epilogue - WIP (Stage 2/2 done; needs new music and contributors to be added)
{ }

campaign file

Table-entires (Ships) - Done
Table-entries (weapons) - WIP
Integrate Mainhalls - Done
Integrate NTF interface - Done
Individual loading screens - Done
Table sync with MVPs - WIP
Critical Fiction-entires - Done/Editing
Optional Fiction entires - WIP

Now I can keep the deadline, collapsing all the WIP into itself. However there are certain quality of life-points, I would rather have help with - either because it makes things go faster or because I need a closed feedback loop.

1. Beta Testing
All missions need to be tested and checked for bugs and loose ends.

2. Table Revisions
Some missions required for tweaked versions of retail-tbl weapons. These weapons of course do not yet have additional MVP data, which I constantly loose track of. As a result it is bluntly obvious when a ship uses

3. Story and Dialogue Edits / Continuity Check
Because this campaign is very dialogue heavy, I would like a new set of eyes to look at all the writing and help me fix some flaws and sure up the continuity after this work cycle.

4. Mainhall Loading Screens
Even a simple mainhall to replace the retail one(s) which are full of GTVA symbols would be nice. This may need some new loading screens too. (This is optional)

5. Music
Changing the music underscoring the events of the campaign might be approriate at certain places and I don't really feel qualified to do it. (This is optional)

If any of the points interests you, please contact me via PM.

EDIT: ps. Im updating the Mission listing as I go along

Help requests have been outsourced to their own topic.

mjn.mixael:
For the mainhall, you could steal one of my Orion mainhalls. They don't have a lot (or any?) symbols anywhere. There's remakes of Galatea and Bastion, but those are well known. You could also use Krios, Soyakaze that I made for ST:R or even take the Intrepid one I made for BtA. The Intrepid one has the advantage of being a full 1080p mainhall with extra functional "buttons" should you want to use them.

Or you could follow this tutorial and make a quick basic mainhall menu in about 20-30 minutes or less.

HLD_Prophecy:
I'm working on my own mod - and more importantly my History Major - so I don't think I can contribute. But I'll wish you good luck and congrats! It takes guts to revive something like that, and looks like you've made serious progress already!

Nyctaeus:
I'm glad to see it ressurected. I played the first dump and enjoyed the very classic atmosphere and NTF point of view. I really liked a lot of missions. The one with Vindicator in the drydock and the Colossus closing in was my favorite. Please, don't use replacing default beams of ships in every mission. I remember Colossus firing with 4 top BFGreens only to use two LTerSlashes to attack the Vindicator in the next mission. It's quite noticable.

I have not enough time to beta test anything as I failed in case of BtA, so I can only wish you goodluck.

0rph3u5:

--- Quote from: mjn.mixael on October 31, 2016, 11:04:38 am ---For the mainhall, you could steal one of my Orion mainhalls. They don't have a lot (or any?) symbols anywhere. There's remakes of Galatea and Bastion, but those are well known. You could also use Krios, Soyakaze that I made for ST:R or even take the Intrepid one I made for BtA. The Intrepid one has the advantage of being a full 1080p mainhall with extra functional "buttons" should you want to use them.

--- End quote ---

I got them from the installer now; The Soyakaze one seems to be good fit for the Vasa, as for Vindicator and Iceni no decision has been reached yet. Thank you for it.
(I know the Iceni has no fighterbay and I am not messing with that but storywise you accompany the Iceni for a strech of the finale and the actual carrier is never specified)

--- Quote from: Betrayal on November 01, 2016, 07:16:45 pm ---I'm glad to see it ressurected. I played the first dump and enjoyed the very classic atmosphere and NTF point of view. I really liked a lot of missions.
--- End quote ---

Thank you.

--- Quote from: Betrayal on November 01, 2016, 07:16:45 pm ---I remember Colossus firing with 4 top BFGreens only to use two LTerSlashes to attack the Vindicator in the next mission. It's quite noticable.

--- End quote ---

That's what the Colossus related tweaks and the table checks are all about; for one I used a up-turreted version of the Colossus in the dump to emphasize just how oppressive it's presence is when you are on the recieving end, I no longer do to avoid problems with the HTL-release at some point. That the slash beams seems out of place is a problem with the tables, as I did not bring them up to MVP-standard of other Colossus-beams; and there is now a little scenario tweak in the briefing why the Colossus doesn't go all-out against the Vindicator, it wasn't in the dump because it's part of the new addition that resolves the plot problem I used to have.

Replacing some beams can't be helped, otherwise some missions would never work (either because of range or damage); however it will be less visible as it was in the dump with the fully tweaked tables (the scene in then 6th screenshot will look different in the finished product)
(using armor.tbl would be too involved as it's usually per mission tweaks)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version