General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

Can't seem to get a solid install of FS2 Open - Can't get FS1 cutscenes to work

(1/2) > >>

Tempest261:
Hey everyone,

I stumbled across this after playing the BtRL demo (which floored me) and I was quite excited- I played a ton of FS1 and FS2 back in the day and plan to play through them both again with all of the incredible upgrades.

My problem here is that I'm having a difficult time getting a good solid install of FS2 Open. I tried the Freespace Open Installer and it was incredibly easy to get going, and the textures/graphics all looked upgraded and incredible, but I was plagued with the "robot voice" over all of the parts that I remember distinctly had professional voice acting. Did a little bit of forum digging and found that this is a "bug". Couldn't find a solution so I uninstalled it.

So then I gave the Freespace 2 SCP DVD .torrent a download, burnt it to a disc, and installed it. This one has preserved original FS2 voices (awesome!) but didn't seem to have upgraded graphics. I redownloaded all of the *.VP files from the FS2 SCP site (http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php?list.2) and put them in the directory, which solved that problem. My problem with this method is that I really want to send this info out to a lot of friends, and I'm positive the vast majority won't be able to figure it out. Was I doing something wrong here?

Also, the FS1 (FreeSpace Port 3) "mod" in the FreeSpace 2 SCP DVD is fantastic, but I can't seem to get the cutscenes going. Any ideas?

Turey:

--- Quote from: Tempest261 on June 10, 2007, 03:22:29 pm ---My problem here is that I'm having a difficult time getting a good solid install of FS2 Open. I tried the Freespace Open Installer and it was incredibly easy to get going, and the textures/graphics all looked upgraded and incredible, but I was plagued with the "robot voice" over all of the parts that I remember distinctly had professional voice acting. Did a little bit of forum digging and found that this is a "bug". Couldn't find a solution so I uninstalled it.

--- End quote ---
That shouldn't happen. There's a chance that it didn't download the voices correctly, but IDK.

EDIT: If you rename the freespace port folder to "fsport", then run my Installer, it should repair any problems.

Game_Master64:
i believe that "robot voice" is good old sam, microsoft sam. check the launcher, under the speech tab and check if it's enabled. it happened to me once, turns out i had clicked the wrong thing. maybe you did to.

Tempest261:

--- Quote from: Turey on June 10, 2007, 08:46:14 pm ---
--- Quote from: Tempest261 on June 10, 2007, 03:22:29 pm ---My problem here is that I'm having a difficult time getting a good solid install of FS2 Open. I tried the Freespace Open Installer and it was incredibly easy to get going, and the textures/graphics all looked upgraded and incredible, but I was plagued with the "robot voice" over all of the parts that I remember distinctly had professional voice acting. Did a little bit of forum digging and found that this is a "bug". Couldn't find a solution so I uninstalled it.

--- End quote ---
That shouldn't happen. There's a chance that it didn't download the voices correctly, but IDK.

EDIT: If you rename the freespace port folder to "fsport", then run my Installer, it should repair any problems.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the help. I decided to try and run a clean install with your installer, but I can't seem to get the cutscenes working. Am I missing something? I assumed that since it has in the features list, ".ogg cutscenes" that they are included. Do I need a separate codec?

Tempest261:
UPDATE: I've found that with the clean install of your installer that the voices are fine, but none of the new .VP files are kicking in, even when I set the launcher to turn on all features:

E:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting

Could it be because I'm installing it to a custom directory that I'm not seeing any movies or new features? I really try to keep all games off of my C drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version