Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Help please!

(1/15) > >>

crazycanuck:
This is my first time posting here.

I am trying to convert the Ferret from Klav's Wing Commander models pack to work with wcsaga. I cleaned up the model and checked for any problems and it looks ok. I converted it with pcs2 using the tables and hard point locations from the default wcsaga Ferret. However I can never seem to get it to show up in wcsaga or FRED. I am running out of ideas on how to fix it!

I have attached a copy of the vp file and the sources used via dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b928wyqrdhwun9z/Ferret.rar?dl=0

If anyone can tell me what I'm missing it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

The E:
Your table file is incorrect (Something a debug build will yell at you for; I think WCS have released those). The first line in your tbm must be "#Ship Classes", and the last line must be "#End", else the engine will not be able to load things.

crazycanuck:
Thanks for the advice. I fixed the table file. I also found the debug build of wcsaga. I had a missing moment of inertia. I fixed that in pcs2. Now my main problem is the game crashes when it tries to makew an ibx file or lode the Ferret.pof file. Could it be that the model has too many polys or the textures are too big?

The E:
I think the issue is more that the model is hilariously bad. You should, as a first measure, delete all LODs except for LOD0; this will make the model file much smaller.
Second, WCS' builds are hundreds upon hundreds of revisions behind FSO. We've sped up the generation of cache files by an immeasurable amount (To the point where we no longer bother writing out the cache files to disk because loading them takes longer than generating them). The "crash" you're seeing is just WCS taking ages to generate the cache (a process which will be sped up by removing the superfluous LODs).

crazycanuck:
I tried it again using a simple cube for the model. It imported ok. Looks like you are right. I need to simplify the model.

Thanks for your help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version