Author Topic: GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport  (Read 35268 times)

GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport
Hey all, while I've been lurking for a little while I haven't posted yet.

Obviously, this has changed! I hope you like one of the projects I'm currently working on, the title says it all really.
Note that this is just after a few hours of modeling, so it's VERY rough, but I got a bit excited about it so I wanted to show it off anyhow. The second image is about the first thing I've spent some more time on, the command pod.

Anyway, I hope you like it!

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport
Not too shabby so far, you have a good set of refs of the studio model?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Can't complain so far. Ofcourse there's the schematic, and a number of other images. Downside is that the structure isn't always entirely consistent, the command pod for instance looks different with almost every image. Best thing to do as far as I think is to find a decent middle ground, one that looks as much as the studio model. I haven't been able to find any high-res images of that model, I'm afraid.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Awesome to see that you've picked this up!  Yeah, I don't know if this model ever went on display in the touring show, which is a shame.  The good news is that it's seen from many angles (including almost directly side-on, head on, etc.) in the films, so at least there's something to check the general lines against besides the often-wrong EGVV schematics.  Anyway, here are some of our randomly collected refs:

http://swc.fs2downloads.com/reference.php?subdir=Another_Site/Cargo/Gallofree/

And some dude's model, just because it looks cool:

http://swc.fs2downloads.com/reference.php?subdir=starship_modeler/Rebel/Gallofree/

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Heh the good ole' Gallofree, hell if technically they were good for nothing but (arguably) hauling crap from one place to another, but man they always look the business riding shotgun with CR90s on a Nebulon B task group. :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you mean the EGVV schematic, it's probably wrong.  You'll have to stick more to any studio model shots you can find.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

@swashmebuckle: Thanks for the links, I'll add those to my refs folder!

If you mean the EGVV schematic, it's probably wrong.  You'll have to stick more to any studio model shots you can find.
I know, and I don't intend to follow the EGVV schemas exactly. They are good for quickly getting a shape however, and after that I'll use the other references to add the details and modify the existing shape if needed.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Cool :) I only warn you because we've had several modelers try to start using the EGVV for a reference, but they run into so many discrepancies in just the basic shape between the EGVV and the model pictures that they realize they should have just gone with the model shots in the first place.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
We found that especially true with the Nebulon-B - it required some severe stretching and re-shaping of the overall shape just to match production shots due to the huge discrepancy between that and the schematics.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
For my own part, I completely disregard the EGVV schematics.  I don't use them at all.  90% of the time the orthographic drawings don't even match up with each other, much less with the actual model.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
This looks like that other transport that someone was working on... I rmember cause it had loads of detail (IIRC, the cargo boxes inside were modelled).  Are these transports of a related type?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Same one, but I don't think that other one was ever completed.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Thread here.  You may find the ref pics helpful.  :)

EDIT: Actually, I guess the thread I was looking for is here, but the pics are since deleted... bummer.  Maybe in page 2..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:47:31 pm by jr2 »

Allright, some more. As you can see, I´ve done some more work on the shell, I´ve hollowed it out and it curves back near the end. Hope you all like it!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Wow, so this is the third separate attempt at the transport?  Geez...maybe it's jinxed or something.  Anyway, looking good so far, this one is a must-have for any decent rag-tag rebel fleet.  Keep it up!

Third time's the charm, right? ;)

Update time! Some more renders to show the progress: I've added (very) basic engines, refined the central thingy (the one where the command pod is placed at), and tweeked the shape of the command pod itself. As always, I hope you enjoy!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Vasudra is back from the grave! :eek2:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Okay, had the time to do some more work. The three engines at the bottom are now at least partially done, giving the back shot a somewhat finished feel. Obviously there are still quite some areas that need work, but it's getting there :)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
One little criticism here, but those ribs and depressed areas on the engines really should be handled through normal mapping, not geometry.  This thing's going to be enough of a poly monster already.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport