The scheme you suggest will be fine
11 (35.5%)
I have a different take (specify)
3 (9.7%)
I'm indifferent (snuffleupaugus)
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: December 05, 2013, 03:03:18 am

Author Topic: Colored text in briefings  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Colored text in briefings
Maybe it could be put to a vote?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you're going to be switching between Rebel/Imperial in the one campaign, then I think red=shoot is a more intuitive scheme.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Even if Tie Fighter and XvT veterans do end up being the majority of our audience (I think this is pretty unlikely), making green friendly and red hostile like in every other game is an easy call because it removes a potentially confusing step that the player would otherwise have to retrain their brains for every time they switch campaigns: thinking about who's side you are on.

Imagine you are playing a New Republic campaign where you are in a TIE squadron stationed aboard one of the captured star destroyers. Do you worry about the green interceptor blips on your radar or the red ones? What if you are flying with a planetary defense force and fight against rebels early in the campaign, but later fight the Empire?

Shoot red, protect green.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Maybe it could be put to a vote?

The outcome of a vote like this would be obvious at HLP. And this dev choice is simply not important enough for me to warrant asking around at SW/general gaming forums. If I make posts at places like those, I will be marketing FotG.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Imagine you are playing a New Republic campaign where you are in a TIE squadron stationed aboard one of the captured star destroyers. Do you worry about the green interceptor blips on your radar or the red ones? What if you are flying with a planetary defense force and fight against rebels early in the campaign, but later fight the Empire?

Seconded. The most important purpose of the blip colours is to tell you what to shoot and what to protect because that has immediate gameplay significance (signifying who belongs to which faction story-wise doesn't, really) and this is the simpler and more intuitive way to do so. Especially in non-standard situations like the abovementioned.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

Seconded. The most important purpose of the blip colours is to tell you what to shoot and what to protect because that has immediate gameplay significance (signifying who belongs to which faction story-wise doesn't, really) and this is the simpler and more intuitive way to do so. Especially in non-standard situations like the abovementioned.

Do neutral ships fit in here anywhere?  Neutral blue, for example, red enemy, green friendly?

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
Even if Tie Fighter and XvT veterans do end up being the majority of our audience (I think this is pretty unlikely), making green friendly and red hostile like in every other game is an easy call because it removes a potentially confusing step that the player would otherwise have to retrain their brains for every time they switch campaigns: thinking about who's side you are on.

In the Bakura Truce Solo sees that the emprie is also using red for hostile forces. Someone in the book says something about, this is everywhere where the people have red blood.  I think this makes sense.

Don't know if the expanded universe counts.