Author Topic: HLP looking for new admin  (Read 20991 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
HLP looking for new admin
HLP is looking for an admin to handle most of the technical stuff related to maintaining a linux server as well as keeping hosted websites up and running.

Required set of skills is as follows:
- Familiar with Debian, Ubuntu or other debian based distro
- Knows how to secure (harden) a linux server
- Knowledgeable in linux networking, name records and DNS-setup
- Knows how to set up, maintain and secure Apache, PHP, MySQL, Pure-FTPd, etc as well as tune them for required performance
- Willing to contact hosting company when and if needed, they have live-support chat on their website
- Work with other admins and hosted projects to set up websites, ftp, mysql databases, etc
- Keep software up-to-date, includes php applications like forums, wiki, etc
- Time and patience to do the job when it's needed
- Able to do full server setup from scratch if required

This is not a paid job.

Please post here if you want to apply for the position. In addition to required set of skills above, please list any additional skills you're good at when posting your application. We may even take in more than one new admin as long as they qualify, especially if applicants have more than required set of skills. Having more than one on this also means one doesn't have to take all the burden alone.

Thank you :)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Re: HLP looking for new admin
Holy crap, with a skill set like that, you need to provide some hefty perks.

Edit: 666th post.  Again.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Perks, hmm? Well, nothing really comes to mind except full access to all boards on this forum, including private boards of hosted projects. You can find plenty of cool stuff in there, including some that couldn't take daylight. ;) That's about it for perks I imagine.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Edit: 666th post.  Again.

This does not bode well for this thread.  Sounds like a job for...BOFH!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Perks, hmm? Well, nothing really comes to mind except full access to all boards on this forum, including private boards of hosted projects. You can find plenty of cool stuff in there, including some that couldn't take daylight. ;) That's about it for perks I imagine.

Getting to have the last word in debates is a pretty good perk too. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Hmm....

HLP is looking for an admin to handle most of the technical stuff related to maintaining a linux server as well as keeping hosted websites up and running.

Required set of skills is as follows:
- Familiar with Debian, Ubuntu or other debian based distro
Check
- Knows how to secure (harden) a linux server
Check
- Knowledgeable in linux networking, name records and DNS-setup
Oh most certainly a check (mine are sitting within throwing distance)
- Knows how to set up, maintain and secure Apache, PHP, MySQL, Pure-FTPd, etc as well as tune them for required performance
Yup, next to the DNS boxen
- Willing to contact hosting company when and if needed, they have live-support chat on their website
Done this before, do it at work dealing with the remote colo monkeys (and some of them are monkeys indeed)
- Work with other admins and hosted projects to set up websites, ftp, mysql databases, etc
Yuppers
- Keep software up-to-date, includes php applications like forums, wiki, etc
Do a bit of this at work again with the department forum
- Time and patience to do the job when it's needed
That's sometimes/often in short supply.
- Able to do full server setup from scratch if required
No comment.  :D

Heh, if I had the bandwidth and machine(s) to spare, I'd offer to host/admin it here.

IMO, it looks like a pretty standard basic sysadmin skill set, especially when considering a debian base.  I'd be willing to play the part of backup if you like.  (No offense or random svn access removals taken or involved if not  ;7)

And BOFH?  Well, I do have a small selection of LART's around here...
(Former recognized member of the Scary Devil Monastery)
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Awesome rev_posix. I assume Zacam poked you in this direction? If so, thanks Zacam. :)

I'll let this run some time and see if more interested people turn up. :)

Gotta say that ability to host HLP locally would be big bonus if a spare machine could be found and enough bandwidth. Your svn is already using some much bandwidth that it's pretty much crawling, sadly.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Awesome rev_posix. I assume Zacam poked you in this direction? If so, thanks Zacam. :)

I'll let this run some time and see if more interested people turn up. :)

Gotta say that ability to host HLP locally would be big bonus if a spare machine could be found and enough bandwidth. Your svn is already using some much bandwidth that it's pretty much crawling, sadly.
I've always liked the idea of my machines being withing stumbling distance.  Makes it much easier to deal with when a drive or something decides to start playing silly buggers.

Speed:  Unfortunately, I'm at the mercy of a rather crappy upload limit.  If I had access to something like FiOS, things would be much faster, but due to a he-said-she-said mess between the city and Verizon, my particular area was skipped over.  Quite literally, every area around me has access to it, but mine.  :mad:

For want of the funds to get the deluxe tier connection... 50 down, 10 up...  drooool....

I'll take a look at the router and traffic shaping settings and see if I can't get a bit more speed out of it.  It is, after all, quite the black art...

Rev
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I just want to chime in here for clarification, since I know some of you have got to be wondering.

Fury, who has been doing this job for years, is not being ousted or anything like that. Au contraire, he's done an exemplary job, and we've been privileged to have his help and input over the years. :nod: What his future plans are are up to him; I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if we end up seeing even more of him once the sysadmin workload eases off. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Thank you for clarifying that, because I've just noticed that Fury no longer has the BP badge (what happened? :confused:)... for a moment, I thought he was about to leave the community. :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Only re-organizing my priorities. Like I don't have TBP badge, I don't have BP badge either because I won't be taking active part on the project anymore. While other people seem to like hoarding badges no matter how much they actually partake, that's not how I roll.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I hoard channel ops far worse than I hoard badges.  But that's cool.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline duff

Hi,

I think I've got the required skills as I'm already administrating a couple of LAMP servers.

I do not have plenty of time but I'm willing to dedicate a couple of hours to the project. My only "handicap": I'm german (only average english skills, other timezone etc.).

If you're interested, i can give you more details about me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:21:15 am by duff »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Only re-organizing my priorities. Like I don't have TBP badge, I don't have BP badge either because I won't be taking active part on the project anymore. While other people seem to like hoarding badges no matter how much they actually partake, that's not how I roll.

I've always felt that if you have done a large amount of work for a project you deserve to keep the badge even if you aren't active. As an admin you can still access the internals so you it's not as if you lose access with the badge like normal members would.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Thank you for clarifying that, because I've just noticed that Fury no longer has the BP badge (what happened? :confused:)... for a moment, I thought he was about to leave the community. :(

Like Fury said, he felt his work was done. There wasn't any drama.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I've always felt that if you have done a large amount of work for a project you deserve to keep the badge even if you aren't active. As an admin you can still access the internals so you it's not as if you lose access with the badge like normal members would.

I agree. The problem would then be determining wheter or not a person has done enough to deserve the keep the badge, which oftentimes is not that clear.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's really between each project lead and the member.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I was always of the opinion that badges equaled internal access; if a person should no longer have internal access to a project, the badge should go as well. But whatever. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well since they do equal internal access, if you want to revoke internal access, you have to revoke the badge of course.  But I think the idea is whether you want to cut someone off from the project or not, not just the badge but internal access as well.

Sounds like anyone with an RHCE certification and some debian experience fits the bill - surely there are a bunch of you lurking about these forums?