Author Topic: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion  (Read 55254 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion
Yeah, I think more details would be helpful and interesting.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So, in the interest of fairness with the summary of what all happened, the staff are working on a collaborative document (a shared Google Docs) to write the summary. We've agreed to keep debating out of it and stick to facts as much as possible. I'm hopeful that we can actually hammer out something that objectively presents what happened & when. However, I don't think it will happen quickly. If it gets completed within a week, I'd be shocked.

My question for you all is, do you want a summary of just what happened behind the closed doors of the GlobMod board, or do you also want us to integrate what was happening at the time in the PolDisc thread? I'm guessing the latter, since that is the context for everything, and PolDisc isn't precisely open to all unless you've asked for access... let us know.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Sure, why not.  :)

Just to clarify, me (and possibly Nightmare, as well as many others) don't want this as an excuse to trigger further debates, flames and offenses. It's just a matter of "data-transparency" and finding out what happened. Simple and clean.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Lorric

I would say as much as possible, internal and external.

Just to clarify, me (and possibly Nightmare, as well as many others) don't want this as an excuse to trigger further debates, flames and offenses. It's just a matter of "data-transparency" and finding out what happened. Simple and clean.  :yes:

Yep :yes:

So, in the interest of fairness with the summary of what all happened, the staff are working on a collaborative document (a shared Google Docs) to write the summary. We've agreed to keep debating out of it and stick to facts as much as possible.

Who's 'we'? You're not staff any more.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So, in the interest of fairness with the summary of what all happened, the staff are working on a collaborative document (a shared Google Docs) to write the summary. We've agreed to keep debating out of it and stick to facts as much as possible.

Until recently, "we" was just karajorma and myself, since nobody else had chimed in. But now, Mongoose has, and he's staunchly opposed to the idea. So it may not happen after all. It's not my call, sorry.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Lorric

Until recently, "we" was just karajorma and myself, since nobody else had chimed in. But now, Mongoose has, and he's staunchly opposed to the idea. So it may not happen after all. It's not my call, sorry.
I do think you should be involved. As the only one who opposed the others, your story should be told. Your presence adds legitimacy, instead of just history being written by the victors.

I agree.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I should probably have been more precise in my wording. I had suggested that, in the interest of saving time and avoiding conflict over writing the shared doc, that an alternative might be just to lock the entire thread where things unfolded (in GlobalMods), and move it somewhere publicly accessible. That was the aspect Mongoose was staunchly opposed to, reasoning that it would just inflame things again.

On a more general level, he appears to be somewhat less opposed to recounting the tale as a summary, but I should not have termed that opposition as "staunchly opposed". It's more of a case where he doesn't see anything to gain by it, and thinks enough information has been posted that you can piece things together yourselves.

tl;dr: Making GlobMod thread public: no; composing summary document: perhaps.

Offline Lorric

It would be a big step towards transparency to let us see the thread. And sure, I imagine people aren't going to be shown in a good light, but it would make a statement to move it into Site Support. You might even get some constructive, useful feedback on it.

It would be a big step towards transparency to let us see the thread. And sure, I imagine people aren't going to be shown in a good light, but it would make a statement to move it into Site Support. You might even get some constructive, useful feedback on it.

I'm certainly in favor of that. Parts of the thread have been made public, the rest was made put out as hearsay. So before more time is being wasted with debates on what happened, it could be just made public.

Offline Lorric

I'm certainly in favor of that. Parts of the thread have been made public, the rest was made put out as hearsay. So before more time is being wasted with debates on what happened, it could be just made public.
Put some fresh eyes on it. Maybe we'll see things you can't, both from the perspective of it always being the same staff, and that you were right in the thick of it while we can look on it from the outside as neutrals.

Be brave, and open yourselves up to scrutiny.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The thread will absolutely not be made public, if only because Axem is a significant participant and is no longer present to consent.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I do agree that the thread can't be made public, but a description of its content - written by both sides - would definitely make up for it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

The few bits of the thread that have been made public have also been published without consent from the people involved and in the service of "winning" a petty, after the fact argument.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
It's hard to call it "after the fact" when the decision made can be easily reversed... Even if Axem's departure cannot.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Is this really necessary?

I have no problems assuming the worst about everyone. That everyone behaved abhorrently, rushed things (a month to deal with this, so "rushed" is relative, but whatever), secret rooms, cloak and dagger stories. Backstabbing. Horrible behavior.

Who cares?

We get it. You had no function to affect change at the admin level for decades. You got desperate because you had years of bad things accumulating, and you did things outside the rules (there do not seem to have been rules for admins dealing with admins though) to enact what you thought was right.

Everyone's a terrible human being, and yet things needed to get done.

The End.

I would not care even if it went the other way. My original presumption was that everyone would quit, sans Sandwich and Goober, and they'd run HLP forever from then on. I'd be fine with that too, and would not need a history then either. I'd just assume the above all the same, and that would be sufficient.

That said, whatever floats your boats. Maybe it's good to do this for the sake of catharsis or something.

I'm really with BlackDove on this one, there's very little that can be gained by relitigating whatever horrible dramatic mess went down in the internal discussions.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just to make things perfectly clear, my opinions re: the above were not intended for public consumption, and I did not authorize Sandwich to speak on my behalf.   Like BD and PH said, my main concern is what's best for the community going forward. I'm in favor of a broad disclosure of how events progressed, but I don't see how anything good can come out of a hyper-detailed tit-for-tat.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:42:05 pm by Mongoose »