Author Topic: Let's just burn poldisc to the ground.  (Read 24087 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Let's just burn poldisc to the ground.
Because I cant rememeber which way round HLP uses dates.  USA style or English.

Ahhh... see, that's the advantage of YYYY-MM-DD: no confusion possible (unless you seriously think someone would write 2020-31-12 :lol: ). Yes, June 11th, 2001.

I think what we should all do is commit ourselves to the divine, and do what has been proclaimed ages ago.

D'awww, it's Fattony! Wasn't he an0n? Or am I lumping those two together because of their behavior/attitudes?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:49:45 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
He was. Or is, technically.

My own two cents on the topic:

1)  I like PolDisc.  I like posting technical explainers, when I have the time and energy to do so.  I like ****posting, when an especially absurd topic pops up.

2)  I think that PolDisc's reputation as an unmatched hive of scum and villainy is grossly overstated.  Goob's doomsday thread was the last topic that really oozed out of the forum in any significant way, because it was such an over-the-top thread that it would have been right at home being archived in the Classics section.  (The recent incident that sparked this discussion was primarily a moderation issue that would have--and should have--exploded, regardless of the forum in which it occurred.)  Most of us get along quite well in there and generally give a lot of benefit of the doubt to new faces popping in.

And because I'm working too damn much overtime, which pays time-and-a-half:

3)  Art is political.  I don't do a lot of FRED'ing anymore, but my fiction writing has improved dramatically, since I started making an effort to be more conscious of the politics in the subtext.  I think there is a potential benefit to having a place for campaign/mission authors to discuss and refine their personal politics, as it can lead to them writing more thoughtful and compelling works.

Does the value outweigh the costs?  I leave that as an exercise for the reader to decide, but I do think that there is value to keeping PolDisc around.

Gooby thread was gendisc mind

Gooby thread was gendisc mind

The doomsday thread?  He may have started it in GenDisc, but it got moved to PolDisc at some point during its life.  It rests on the third page of the PolDisc archive.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
*nodding solemnly* This is a political topic. After all, it has Christians in it.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I would still like to see not being in the political discussion usergroup actually hide the political discussion board from view or showing up in recent posts.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It is supposed to do that already. I'll take another look at the settings at some point soon then.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Putting the Doomsday thread into the Classics Section is a really good idea. It is a classic after all. Goober might not like it though.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Part of site history now.  Classics seems appropriate.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
It is supposed to do that already. I'll take another look at the settings at some point soon then.

Any update on this? Every single post in my recent posts feed is a political disucssion post and I do not, in fact, have the political discussions usergroup.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
When I click 'show unread posts since last visit' I don't see any poldisc stuff. I don't see any in 'recent posts' either. But maybe nobody's posted in pol disc in the last ten pages of recent posts??

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Good Lard, what is happening here? I was only away for half a year-ish! :O

EDIT: reading up. Oh Boy.

I have never been a fan of politics and religion in the context of message boards. This killed all media like Facebook, Reddit and their open source alternatives for me. The longer we allow politics/religious discussion, the longer we  attract NNs and their ilk.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:44:50 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
When I click 'show unread posts since last visit' I don't see any poldisc stuff. I don't see any in 'recent posts' either. But maybe nobody's posted in pol disc in the last ten pages of recent posts??

Before I posted this and you responded, literally every single post in "recent posts" at the bottom of the forum index was a poldisc post. I'm not sure what you did to get poldisc posts out of that list, but if you could share I would greatly appreciate it.

Click on Profile > Account settings. Then go to "Modify Profile" > Group Membership. Click on Political Discussion "Join Group" and then another time to leave it. Smh you need to join it first before you can get out again. You can still access the board but PolDisc posts shouldn't show up anymore.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What, no. Maybe that works.. sure. But you can also just go to the ignore boards settings and check the box for PolDisc. Easy Peezy.

Like.. Ignore Board Options is literally it's own section in Account Settings. How do you all miss that?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
What, no. Maybe that works.. sure. But you can also just go to the ignore boards settings and check the box for PolDisc. Easy Peezy.

Like.. Ignore Board Options is literally it's own section in Account Settings. How do you all miss that?

Holy **** it actually works

Oh right I did that too :warp:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Okay, ignore board works, but what is that usergroup for then? Because I don't think that works at all.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================