Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 73559 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
Well, the SP mode and story has been promised to us, and it's gonna be released about 6 months before, so it's worth discussing. That said, it'd only be one story told in the universe. Not minor by any means, and it'll be the first impression of SC we'll get, but Star Citizen won't end there.

Offline Mikes

Plus, if there was no capacity for single player, how would anyone make the (surely inevitable) FS mod for it? :p

I has full modding support. The *capacity* for singleplayer is never in question, only whether the "official" singleplayer will have a good or not so good story. 

Having people ripp into a game about it's *potential story* - that likely isn't even written yet - is kinda wierd in my eyes considering how much everything that we actually do know about the game rocks. ;)

Heck... with the tech and assets they are showcasing I would even be excited about it if they released the whole thing as nothing else but a mission editor. LOL.

Offline Luis Dias

Go easy there pilot. I have yet to see how the game will actually play and if it's actually fun or not. I will always remember the utter disappointment that Unreal Tournament 2003 was, despite its amazing "product values". Nothing is really a good substitute for sheer fun.

I just want a War in Heaven mod where you're a Gef merc taking odd jobs in Sol for whoever's willing to pay for your services while the war rages around you.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Seriously... why are we even talking about the story?;)
It's more about thinking of the storytelling potential the game has, than the actual story they'll give us. You are going to be limited quite fast in building an engaging universe and background if you only have open-universe tools in your hands.

As far as I'm concerned, everything RSI ships alongside the engine is nothing but examples and placeholders for modding. Best way to not be disappointed and focus on the cool part of the game.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It's a Chris Roberts game, so considering his past games (all of them), I'm not expecting anything more than WWII in space like WC, Starlancer, and Freelancer were (unless this time he surprises us, which I do hope)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Freelancer wasn't WWII in Space (well, gameplay-wise it was, but then, so was FS2). In fact, it had a rather interesting storyline, though it'd be much better off if they didn't cut it off halfway through due to budget constraints. WC4 also didn't had a WWII-style story (in case you missed the previous discussion), and you can call WCP many things, but not a WWII ripoff. Can't really speak for Starlancer (I could never find the disk), but it seems to be more like "Cold War gone hot in Space" than WWII. Roberts done plenty of things beside early Wing Commanders he's mostly associated with.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It literally started with Pearl Harbor and the course of the action more closely follows that of the Pacific Theater than the way you want WC3 to.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You mean Freelancer? The one that starts with terrorist attack on a civilian station, and then another one a diplomatic mission?

Offline Luis Dias

I can't see the connection between Freelancer and WW2 tbh. Much more to do with stuff like the episode ST:TNG "Conspiracy" and so on.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Precisely. Looks like NGTM-R1 either didn't actually play the game he's talking about, or failed history. :) I have no idea what's there at the start of FL that even resembles Pearl Harbor. The attack in the intro was clearly terrorist (or at least seemed like that...), and the rest of the plot bears no resemblance to Pacific Theater whatsoever.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You mean Freelancer?

I mean Starlancer, which you said was the Cold War. Actually I'm surprised you didn't figure that out from the description. You did discuss several games, why you assumed I meant Freelancer rather than assessing each in turn as a possibility is beyond me. Maybe you just like to toss out not-veiled-at-all insults?

As to Freelancer, I've not bothered trying to fit it over any particular timeline, since it seems to owe more to conspiracy-theory plotting with a Trench Run at the end. (Going in full throttle because Nomads don't have cruise disruptors.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:38:54 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I think he actually meant Starlancer which starts out with some attack that cripples the good guy fleet, necessitating volunteer pilots, which is where you the player joins the story IIRC. And it was also the game you mentioned later in your post, so it stands to reason he was talking about that instead of Freelancer.

Or you know, we could all just interpret each others' posts in the ways that make the least sense so we can justify being jerks.

e: hurr, ninja'd.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Luis Dias

I never meant to be a jerk. Why the hell. The proposition we were arguing was wether if Robert was able to do something other than WW2 altogether. Clearly he is. I do think we have some small evidence that this new game will be "ww2" all over again (basically the visuals, the ships, the insistence on the "squadron" thing, etc.), but one can hope!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I never meant to be a jerk.

I don't think the comment was directed at you.

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I mean Starlancer, which you said was the Cold War. Actually I'm surprised you didn't figure that out from the description. You did discuss several games, why you assumed I meant Freelancer rather than assessing each in turn as a possibility is beyond me. Maybe you just like to toss out not-veiled-at-all insults?
Ah, that explains it. The way it's presented in FL's backstory (and from what I've seen of the factions), it's The West vs. The Commies. However, if you put it like that, this does actually look like Pacific Theater, only with factions swapped. That said, I don't really know Starlancer, and I stated it already. The main subject of my post was FL, so I assumed you meant that.

Offline Luis Dias

You know, now that I come to think of it, we live in probably the most amazing decade in terms of technological miracles happening all around us, and yet I can't remember a single sci fi movie or game from since 1999 that is actually captivating and thought-provoking. Except perhaps for Mass Effect but even that.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I think he actually meant Starlancer which starts out with some attack that cripples the good guy fleet, necessitating volunteer pilots, which is where you the player joins the story IIRC. And it was also the game you mentioned later in your post, so it stands to reason he was talking about that instead of Freelancer.
Starlancer's plot is even more of a transparent reference than that. Hello? The Flying Tigers? Starlancer's angle on "WW2 in space" has about all the subtlety of a truck to the face. Not that it's a bad thing, but it just is.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I find the Chris Roberts games to be quite enjoyable. That being said, I've got more hours playing Freelancer than I do most of my other games combined (excepting maybe Guild Wars and Unreal Tournament).
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What's this talk about "the amount of story"?

Will this trhead de-volve to FS vs. WC? C'mon HLP, I expected better from you.

Who cares which universe is "better"? Better is subjective. We get more space-sims, so everybody wins here.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!