Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 97418 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
In the mission after King's Gambit, there are two GTM Cyclops types to select from. I suspect one is the #short version, and that it is an error with mv_assets.3612.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Incorrect. The #short's are still in there from Retail. Though I am currently testing if removing them affects balance (as they should ideally only be presented to AI for weapon usage, not the player)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I thought the #short was the only option given to the player in the entire campaign...

Offline Kolgena

Weird. I just found it odd that the loadout room gave you two types of cyclops to play with. Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Never in retail did you ever have a choice.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Correct, to an extent. "Slaying Ravana", "The King's Gambit" and "The Sicilian Defense" are supposed to (by retail) be #short only.

Regulars got added to the loadout list at some point, chances are good that nobody noticed until just now, thanks to various iterations of FRED loading.

All will be well in the next Release now that I'm aware of the issue.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

The missile trails for the rockeye and tempest missles are really long. Are they suppose to be like that? I think it looks odd.
Also beam fade really messes up the long range beams in Derelict.

Offline Kolgena

I thought beam fade was patched out already.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Someone forgot to DL the MVP patch.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

There's a patch? Where?!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
On the release thread, stickied in the FSU board.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

On the release thread, stickied in the FSU board.

Great, thanks!

Offline Sobbsy

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any of their own ideal set of launcher command line settings? At the moment I'm just using the default recommended;

-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5

But has anyone else spent some time tinkering with these and found a set of command line settings that they feel look any better? Just curious, I have had a play with these but I don't get much time to myself these days and I'd be more happy to trust someone else's experience on tweaking these over my own baby steps at the moment. I'm so happy with where FS2 is at now... Media VP's with their patches, great performance, post-processing working with FXAA... It's all great stuff and I'm seriously considering doing ANOTHER FS2 playthrough shortly :P
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:57:50 am by Sobbsy »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any of their own recommended set of launcher command line settings? At the moment I'm just using the default recommended;

-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5

But has anyone else spent some time tinkering with these and found a set of command line settings that they feel look any better? Just curious, I have had a play with these but I don't get much time to myself these days and I'd be more happy to trust someone else's experience on tweaking these over my own baby steps at the moment. I'm so happy with where FS2 is at the moment... Media VP's with their patches, great performances, post-processing working with FXAA... It's all great stuff and I'm seriously considering doing ANOTHER FS2 playthrough shortly :P

Last I checked, there were a bunch of options on the wiki for those, I recommend checking those out. Personally, regardless of other lighting settings, I always play with two important flags. The first is -no_ambient_light, which, unsurprisingly, gets rid of the ambient light that all ships emit regardless of other lighting settings. IMHO, it makes battlefields look darker and hence increases the empty, cold feeling of space. Others have other reasons.
The second flag I play with is -fov 0.4 (you can adjust the number to your liking). This has the unfortunate side effect of constraining my field of vision a bit, and takes a bit of getting used to, but the payoff is immensely worth it, as it makes everything look way bigger, and thus I can actually go "whoa" as I fly over a Sath or Colly. The default fov kinda makes them seem small by comparison.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ambient_factor 620 -no_emissive_light -fov 1.0 -ogl_spec 120 -height -normal -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 2.7 -post_process -bloom_intensity 8

Normally I would run it darker but I am having to fight some serious sun glare on a CRT.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

My personal favorite settings, some may find them a bit dark but I've constantly experimented and keep coming back to these:
(I run a widscreen windowed resolution, hence the FOV, and lower than 42 essentially has little discernible effect on bloom)
Code: [Select]
-ambient_factor 37 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 8 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.75 -spec_tube 0.75 -ogl_spec 40 -bloom_intensity 42 -fxaa_preset 6 -fov 0.57

¤[D+¬>

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
ambient_factor 620 -no_emissive_light
Quite redundant.

Offline Sobbsy

Thanks for the input guys! I very briefly tried Zacam's config there, and it was actually quite an impressive thing. I played a custom mission I downloaded elsewhere (basically a big battle outside of a space station - Homecoming, I think it's called?). Anyway, with no emissive light, the battle was quite intense. At one stage, I finished taking out a small squad of bombers, then targeted the nearest corvette that was attacking one of my ships... I followed the aimers, swung around and... Nothing. Blackness. "Where's the ship" I thought - then I realised I was staring straight at it and slammed on the breaks just meters away from ramming into it. Just as soon as I managed to stop, the ship finished a slight rotation and I could then juuust see some of the lights on it's side from the glowmaps.

I tell you what, THAT was a bloody good little experience. I also tried destroying a colossus that was hidden behind a, oh what is it - one of the same class of ship as the Bastion - and that was similarly awesome. The bright flash was obscured by the ship in front, but there was just this strong glow at first, then as the large chunks of debris flew overhead it bathed the ship in a strong orange light. I took some screenshots but I'm at work at the moment.

Needless to say, it was just marvelous.

Offline Sobbsy

Just a couple of screenshots. Really loving FS2 in this modern state;

:yes:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wow. Great screenshots.