Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422859 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.3 (combined launcher/installer)
I stubled into two somethings:

I created a more or less dummy mod in which I tried if Sol A History worked with the latest FSPort MVPs, but since it warned me about errors on start-up, I figured it didn't and wanted to delete this test mod.

When I tried to delete it on Knossos itself I got an error saying "you might have problems connecting to fsnebula.org", but I never uploaded the mod in the first place, it's only local.
I was able to delete it by ending Knossos and deleting the folder in the FSO directory.

Not sure if that's intended or an oversight, but just in case it's the latter, I thought I'd report it.

And an issue with the sound:
The old Launcher detected automatically whether I had my soundcard set to headphones or speakers. With Knossos I can only set it to either speakers or headphones and I have to change it manually in the settings if I switch to the other, instead of just re-starting the game.
Is there a chance you could add the option for the current system default setting?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:18:16 pm by -Norbert- »

Is there a way to select different lighting pre-sets through this launcher? I took a look around and couldn't find old standbys like Spidey's etc.

Offline -Norbert-

If it's not there, you can get the values from the wiki and copy/paste them in the custom flag field.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@-Norbert-: That is indeed an oversight. That button is kind of overloaded, I should probably split it into "Delete from Nebula" and "Delete locally". Currently, it tries to delete the mod from Nebula and then asks if it should delete the local files as well. In this case the first step fails which is the reason it aborts. I'll have to investigate that error message since you're supposed to get a more appropriate error message.

I think I can add the system default to the sound devices pretty easily but I'll have to check the FSO code to be sure.

@manwiththemachinegun: The lighting presets were never added to Knossos because I didn't consider them an important feature to add. Additionally, none of the old lighting presets work that well with the new PBR renderer. We'd need to compile presets. IIRC there was a thread for exactly this purpose a while back and the only one who posted a preset was FrikgFeek.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

I was kindly sent this a while back when I enquired about lighting presets for Knossos. :-)

FreeSpace Campaign Restoration
View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Re: Knossos Blue Planet lighting pre-sets Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:11:30 am
-ambient_factor (0-128) This controls ambient lighting which is applied to all parts of the ship from "all" directions. The way this works is a bit weird. (ambient factor * 2) - 255 is "added" to mission ambient, but since this will almost always be a negative value it's actually removed from mission ambient.
Because of how light values are clamped it cannot go below 5.1, ambient_factor 70 will result in -115 to mission ambient which is 120 by default.

70 is essentially the lowest ambient for missions with default ambient settings which are all retail missions and the vast majority of mod missions. Some BP missions have increased ambient so values below 70 actually do something.

So 70 is basically no ambient, 80 is a bit of ambient, and 90 is quite a bit of ambient(ships will look bright from all sides). Anything above that will make ships look incredibly "flat".

Spec_tube and Spec_point are multipliers applied to beam and laser lighting respectively. If you want beams or lasers to light up more set these to around 2. If you want less lighting set them to around 0.5.

Spec_static is a multiplier applied to direct specular lighting from suns. For non-PBR models it will make their sun-lit side very shiny and reflective, for PBR models it will make the sun-lit side a lot brighter. There's no flag to control diffuse static lighting so non-PBR models will always have the same amount of light come from suns.

So for a more dynamic "dark" look you should go with ambient_factor 65, spec_static 2.5, spec_tube 2 and spec_point 1.5. Also disable emissive lighting in the launcher settings because it makes the ships look pretty flat.

This will make lighting "dark" by default but ships will be pretty bright when facing the sun or when firing beams and lasers, resulting in a rather pretty contrasting look.

If you want a flatter, grayer look where lighting is more even use ambient_factor 85, spec_static 0.8, spec_tube 1.5 and spec_point 0.5. Beams should still be pretty bright honestly. Also disable emissive lighting in the launcher.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Based on the information I received I'm using these:

Custom Flags: -ambient_factor 65 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 1.5 -spec_static 2.5 -spec_tube 2. -ogl_spec 80

Full Commandline: -ambient_factor 65 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 1.5 -spec_static 2.5 -spec_tube 2. -ogl_spec 80

It makes for a dark and moody atmosphere similar to Spidey's and Castor's Settings.

NB - make sure you turn of 'emissive light from ships'

Enjoy :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Thanks guys, I thought something seemed off even with the new models.

Offline Hellzed

I'm encountering issues installing MediaVPs 3.8.1 (both the completely fresh Knossos + FS2 + MediaVPs install, and the upgrade from MediaVPS 3.7.2, fail in the same way):
https://gist.github.com/Hellzed/954fc709b7bd28342eb81c8fdc84550c

Installing MediaVPS 3.7.2 works just fine. I'm running Knossos master branch, no code changes. Same when I use Knossos from the Ubuntu PPA. Any idea?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:13:25 pm by Hellzed »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I forgot an ipath call in the InstallTask code. I'll add it tonight (has been on my TODO list for a while). Sorry, didn't have much time to work on Knossos this past week.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.4 (combined launcher/installer)
The next release is finally out! This update fixes the aforementioned problem on case-sensitive filesystems (mostly Linux systems).
I've also fixed a few annoying bugs and improved error messages. The full list is on GitHub.
Also, the mod list might load faster now upon startup... not sure. Let me know if you notice a difference.

As always, Knossos should auto-update on all supported OS.

Not sure if anyone had similar problems, but any time I click on any kind of dropdown list, Knossos crashes.

Any advice? :)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Which Windows version are you on?

Which Windows version are you on?

Win 8.1, using Knossos 0.12.4

Offline wesp5

I don't have the time to read all of the posts here, but Knossos want's to update itself from 0.12.3 to 0.12.4 but always fails because it can't override some files, like 7z.exe!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Could this be an antivirus being overprotective?

Offline wesp5

Could this be an antivirus being overprotective?

I doubt it. I only use Microsoft Essentials and the rest of the update works fine. Or should Knossos be run as an administrator for this?

P.S.: It seems setting Knossos to run as Administrator did the trick! Maybe this should be mentioned somewhere, if it isn't already :)...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:43:19 am by wesp5 »

Offline -Norbert-

My Win7 didn't need the admin mode to make the update. It asked for admin permissions via a "OK|Cancel" pop-up like pretty much any other installation.

Thanks everyone who has worked on this or uploaded their mods.  I've been away from HLP for years and recently wanted to play again the last couple of days, and this project has made everything so much easier.

Offline wesp5

My Win7 didn't need the admin mode to make the update. It asked for admin permissions via a "OK|Cancel" pop-up like pretty much any other installation.

Yeah, it must be something different. It wouldn't update itself on another PC even as admin and with the same antivirus tool. But that one was 64bit?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@wesp5: Make sure that 7z.exe isn't still running. It'd be helpful if you could check if it shows up in Task Manager and if it does which commandline it's being run with (you might have to enable that column to see it).
@Jake2447: Thanks!