Author Topic: Carriers  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I was just thinking, what is the official reason for using carriers as the primary CnC ships instead of destroyers?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
destroyers will tend to get shot at more than carriers (still doesn't mean they will).  this isn't good for command and control
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Kosh

I figured as much. Thanks.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Supercarriers are usually used for command of fleets (Warlock/Tanen)

The smaller carriers usually have command of smaller groups within the main fleet.

All carriers try to stay out of heavy conflict as much as possible, but it is known for GTVA carriers to take on EA ones during a fight, with their fighter support of course.

The smaller ones (Lenaeus and Aristaeus) have command relay stations so they and their complements can receive orders from fleet command located on a Warlock or Tanen. However, they also have their own command centres which can take over this responsibility if the communications link is severed. Having everything centralised on the supercarrier makes for more effective fleet deployment, especially considering how many warships and fighter complements there are in the Inferno era compared to pre-Capella.

Offline JR2000Z

Smaller carriers take command of destroyers also?
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline mr.WHO

What is a difference between Leaneus and Aristaeus?
There was a Warlock mk.II model, does both mk.I and II will be in next relase? if yes, what is the differecne between them?

It looks like Terrans will be a carrier freaks :D
Can you post something about each faction tactic?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Aristaeus can carry the Jotun and Notus and doesn't appear untill later. The new Warlock replaces the old one. The main difference is the turret amount.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Then they won't be sending in the Independance to take on every Shivan or EA superdestroyer that comes along, like in R1?

W00t!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

IIRC, thats the Odin's new job.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The EA only have 1 superdestroyer, the Shivans don't though.

You probably won't see much of the Warlock in game I'd think, at the moment you not stationed on one :p

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Woomeister
The EA only have 1 superdestroyer, the Shivans don't though.

... um, Lucifer?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
True, the Shivans tend to build above SD specs.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kosh

Above and below SD specs.

Brain I/O error

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
... um, Lucifer?
Yeah, doesn't the Lucifer remake count as a superdestroyer?

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Kosh
Above and below SD specs.

Yes, but they've very few Super-Destroyers.  They mostly go cruiser/corvette/Destroyer/Juggernaut.  Where, "realistically" Terran/Vasudan engineering seems to stop at various forms of Super-Destroyer.

BTW, I classify Super-Destroyer as a destroyer that is either unique(Luci) or has a special ability not found in standard destroyers, usually with additional firepower.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

The remodelled Lucifer is a superdestroyer, just not as big as the Terran ones :)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Actually I meant that the EA have 1 Nemesis, while the Shivans have more than one Lucifer.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I was being facetious. I just keep remembering how they sent the Independence to deal with the Kismet and the Diablo, then later sent it out after the Nemesis. At least in the Kismet/Diablo mission, SOC sent in their superdestroyer to help.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just remember, that was in R1.  The story is being changed along with ship classes.  They'd probably send an Odin to deal with either threat under R2 rules.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!