Author Topic: Crysis 3 - CELL is a not-for-Prophet enterprise  (Read 5545 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Crysis 3 - CELL is a not-for-Prophet enterprise
To be fair, you've never quite been one for liking anything that's even remotely high-quality. (The C2 nanosuit stuff was easily some of the better written Crysis story bits)

No, it's you who wouldn't know quality if it ran you over with a truck.

C2 might have been fine on it's own, but it diverges so much from C1 that it doesn't even feel as part of the same universe. C1 is 10 times better than C2. Story, gameplay and level design. I must have re-played it 7 times. I had to force myself to finish C2.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just out of curiosity, what nice concepts from Crysis 1 did you like? I'm actually replaying it now. Never got into 2. Sounds like I won't get into 3 either.
Ceph in general, especially their architecture and the fact they lived in 0G. Also, nanosuit in C2 was an alien gizmo, I preferred when it was a piece of human tech. Also, C1 had more open gameplay and better, more realistic graphics.

I like this human, he understands.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
i thought i heard something about EA saying origin games will never be released outside of origin.
Considering C2 came out on Steam in the end, so did Mass Effect 2 (though strangely, neither it nor ME1 seem to have any expansions on Steam), Battlefield titles are also in there... I guess that it's possible that both ME3 and C3 will come out on Steam as well, probably after they stop making expansions and release a "special edition" of sorts (since normally, the expansions have to be bought via Origin, which IIRC is against Steam rules). So far, their put their stuff up there, sooner or (more often) later. So don't lose hope. :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For everyone who wants to play this, but doesn't want Origin: You can get it over Ubisoft's UPlay too!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
For me the downfalls of C2 wasn't the story or the suit or anything, it was the fact that it just reeked of console port. Mouse input was quite derpy and the levels were only a few notches above CoD in term of linearity. C1 was certainly linear, but the level design struck me as being more similar to Deus Ex than your "generic FPS" of the late 00's, which I felt made up for the generic story. That said, I'm probably going to wait for C3 prices to drop before I think about buying it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would do that. Though it contains some interesting stuff and the level design is better, I don't think C3 is a better game than a properly tweaked C2.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
For everyone who wants to play this, but doesn't want Origin: You can get it over Ubisoft's UPlay too!

That doesn't seem like a huge improvement...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Sarcasm check: failed.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Sarcasm check: failed.

Your license on this stuff was revoked long ago for your sins against logical comprehension in the BP forum.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Stop ****ting up the thread I haven't even blabbed words all over it yet

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Stop ****ting up the thread I haven't even blabbed words all over it yet

We're acting out because you haven't, clearly!

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Maybe Math is the acataleptic ontovore predicted by the Shivans? :p

We await for thee Battuta! Deliver us from off-topicness!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Uh here are a few quick thoughts, more later

Spoiler:
I really liked the way the story committed to examining the themes introduced in Crysis 2, but the ending felt like it backed down a little - 'our humanity is what's really important!' Bleak as it was, I found Crysis more interesting and honest when it really pushed Hargreave's notion that we had to abandon humanity in order to save it. Still, I liked the ambiguity of that final shot: am I right in assuming that the Prophet we saw on that beach was still 'wearing' the suit, but a suit now capable of mimicking a human body?

Cute to end on the same sunrise vista we saw at the opening of Crysis 1.

The new backstory about Ceph hives in M33 and the stages of their colonization plan both made a lot of sense and enhanced their menace. Unfortunately, the whole notion of the Alpha Ceph - a goofy looking drillbot - sort of worked in the opposite direction. We've seen too many hive minds and hive queens for that to feel anything other than a bit tired.

Admirable effort to tie up all the disconnects between C1 and C2. Helena Rosenthal even got namechecked!

Psycho's voice and body actor did a wonderful job. I was really impressed by both the face rendering tech and the amount of focus the script put on that poor guy's psyche.

The climax of the game had a really embarrassing typo - 'Hold Mouse to Shot Bow'

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Anything said about Nomad?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

He's in the master list of all nanosuit operatives, American and Korean, that you can find at one point in the game, but unlike the others his fate has been redacted. So maybe they retconned his death between Crysis 1 and 2 as depicted in some ****ty tie-in comic they did. (That was when Helena Rosenthal died as well).

He's namedropped like once. He's dead. He's been dead since before Crysis 2. This is common knowledge.

EDIT: Wait, he dies in a tie-in comic? I thought Crysis 2 hinted at the suits doing their Ceph integration thing and Nomad got eaten or something?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
He died jumping in front of a rocket on a CIA boat to save Prophet and Psycho in the dumb Crysis comic.

He died jumping in front of a rocket on a CIA boat to save Prophet and Psycho in the dumb Crysis comic.

Thats...really dumb. And here I was with this cool, terrifying idea of what had happened to everybody because of some of the dialogue in the Prophet flashbacks.

Course, Psycho being around kinda shot that in the foot too.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Prophets dialogs speaks of Ceph getting into his mind...that he had to loose the suit, terminate the connection.

So I don't get it...how come all nanosuit operative didn't suffer the same fate? Why give the suit to Alcatraz then? And poor Alcatraz..Prophet took over his body.

Prophets dialogs speaks of Ceph getting into his mind...that he had to loose the suit, terminate the connection.

So I don't get it...how come all nanosuit operative didn't suffer the same fate? Why give the suit to Alcatraz then? And poor Alcatraz..Prophet took over his body.

He specifically mentions that the suits did something on Lingshan that revealed their nature while he was having a shouting match with Hargreave. This is where I got the idea that Nomad got eaten. As for why it didn't happen to anybody else, the idea is that Prophet had done a bit more integration then other suit-users.

Also, Alcatraz was basically dead so 'taking over his body' is kinda pushing it. More like he cannibalized it for parts.