Author Topic: Navy BDUs um wut?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I happened to notice recently that sailors are wearing blue digital camo BDUs.  Quite frankly I'm a bit quizzical about the point.  The old Navy uniforms looked well... Navy while the new BDUs look like they raided the Corps' MARPAT wardrobe and added blue dye.  Plus last time I checked most navy ships are gray if they're going to go with camo wouldn't gray digital camo be more effective?   :P

Did whomever decides the uniforms for branches decide to throw out what made them distinctive in favor of putting everyone in homogeneous pixelated camos?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
When they fall in the water, they'll blend right in!  Clearly the US is preparing for the War on Sharks.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Narvi

I wonder what the BDU's look like wet.

Would the blue be less or more noticeable?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm a little clueless about this too and it's 'benefits' when your man goes overboard.
Quote from: Wikipedia
While not intended to disguise the wearer, the color pattern was chosen in part to harmonize with U.S. Navy ship colors and avoid presenting an obvious target when working aboard a vessel in port susceptible to infiltration by hostile forces.

Not a good enough reason for me personally.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Most of the Navy itself believes the new uniforms of dubious wisdom as well, however blue is a somewhat traditional color (enlisted wore blue shipboard until the sixties, IIRC) and the uniforms are apparently cut much more nicely and somewhat more comfortable than the previous incarnations. (Probably due to them being produced altered versions of the Marine uniform standards; the Marines caught on early about uniform comfort when they started ordering their boots from companies that make sport hiking gear in the mid-nineties.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ah yeah. But I mean, it looks nice, but when your man goes overboard, how are you supposed to find him when his head's the only part of his body that looks different from the water? Granted, the old uniform didn't help them too much, but this is plain ridiculous in that respect.

Offline iamzack

it's photoshopped. you can tell cause of the... *sigh* nevermind.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Won't people ever learn?...enlisted men need RED SHIRTS!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:15:00 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Who is pople?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.