Author Topic: WoD discussion thread  (Read 52783 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
WoD discussion thread
Discuss and question all things NuWod related here.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: WoD discussion thread
I thought this was a dating sim, not a space sim. You lied to us Spoon.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Any false advertisement regarding this is solely Axem's fault!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Quick question, on normal difficulty are you as vulnerable as you would be on insane?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes
The player takes (from V Easy to Insane) 50%, 75%, 80%, 80%, 80% damage. Shield and Afterburner recharge rates are the same on Normal, Hard and Insane too.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Player never takes full damage, that's interesting. Allies take full damage?

Spoiler:
I killed AndrewofDoom. Wonder if he knows about that...

Offline Lorric

Spoiler:
I want to play Banner of the Stars. Where do I get the trading cards? Is there a starter kit for sale? :) Bonus points to you Spoon for catching me with that while I'm actually in the process of watching Banner of the Stars. So when do I get to meet Jinto and Lafiel? :D I wonder if you'll actually make "Banner of the Stars" as a forum game? The amount of detail on those cards makes me wonder if we'll be seeing them again...

Random thoughts so far:

Spoiler:
The talking segments are so cool!!! Tempest is cute. And much more agreeable than her previous incarnation. Justice has certainly changed looks-wise, but so far, personality is about the same. I'm enjoying getting to know them. And Dawn too for that matter. I loved the introduction to the Terran factions. I'm getting sucked into the World. Speaking of suck, I suck at shooting anything down... :p But I've gotten this far. I am very fond of the music in the out of mission segments. Very pleasant and relaxing. I wonder how the resupply drone is going to effect the balance. Old WoD you couldn't resupply, now you can, and fill up on hull strength to boot, and so can anyone else who uses it. I've poked my nose into everywhere I can, been in the techroom and the journal. Some nice pictures in there. FRED is calling to me. I want to play around with the ships and get them all blowing each other up. :)

Offline Veers

Played it, finished it. 20/10. I have bought extra copies to play as well.

Seriously, that played through without a hitch*, redesigned control scheme kept getting me but I've always been too lazy to rebind keys. I didn't experience any errors or anything that seemed out of the ordinary, and overall was a very smooth experience, FPS rarely dipped to 40 and was consistently much higher, nothing wrong with performance.

Nothing but praise on my end, Fantastic! Loved it! Obligatory: Where is Episode 2?

Spoiler:
Flying the Mk III and turned glide on accidentally, didn't know what I had pressed and was flying away from the bombers attacking the Zeph.. felt so helpless. Thank goodness NuWOD contains IRC support! :D
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Truly enjoyed the few hours spent playing the entire morning. Spectacular cutscenes, shiny new ships, reworked storyline. Spoon and the people who contributed really made something.

The Ray Mk. III is ever more deadly now with glide. Even on Insane,
Spoiler:
I managed to chase away both MCWSes in less than two minutes!
A stellar performance for a Terran fighter...maybe...
Spoiler:
because their pilots were still nuggets?
If only you could intercept missiles like the Zy ones in Ye Olde WoD - having a bunch of ship-launched anti-fighter missiles on my six and unable to shoot them down while gliding makes me sad :P

Secondary-wise, the HLP-1 is my new favorite secondary for now. You can use it to shoot at ANYTHING! Fighters, bombers, capital ships, mines, even as a dogfight weapon it excelled if you can keep your fighter pointed at the enemy. Just invokes that latent human desire to launch lots of projectiles at people, this HLP-1 does.

And the best part of all - twintails!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've only played a few missions so far, and have to leave my PC for 5 days tomorrow :( but I need to say: AWESOME WORK!  :yes2: :nod: :yes:
I'm loving this so much it should be illegal  ;7
Also super chuffed that I got a mention in the battle-live-feed :D

And.. umm... one minor nitpick, I broke the training mission and had to restart it, if you manage to destroy one of the missile launching ships the next one doesn't arrive (ramming speed!!  :nervous:)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline -Norbert-

I'm a bit confused about Dawn's visit with
Spoiler:
the Cyrvans.

She clearly didn't know or understand the language they talked to her in first, but she understood what they were saying to her. Was that telepathy?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Player never takes full damage, that's interesting. Allies take full damage?
Yup, they do.

The card game segment was originally going to be a sort of playable bit. But after spending a full two days on it and only having gone through like 20% of the branches, I started to realize it was going to be far more time and effort than it was worth. So I dropped that idea...

Truly enjoyed the few hours spent playing the entire morning. Spectacular cutscenes, shiny new ships, reworked storyline. Spoon and the people who contributed really made something.

The Ray Mk. III is ever more deadly now with glide. Even on Insane,
Spoiler:
I managed to chase away both MCWSes in less than two minutes!
A stellar performance for a Terran fighter...maybe...
Spoiler:
because their pilots were still nuggets?
If only you could intercept missiles like the Zy ones in Ye Olde WoD - having a bunch of ship-launched anti-fighter missiles on my six and unable to shoot them down while gliding makes me sad :P

Secondary-wise, the HLP-1 is my new favorite secondary for now. You can use it to shoot at ANYTHING! Fighters, bombers, capital ships, mines, even as a dogfight weapon it excelled if you can keep your fighter pointed at the enemy. Just invokes that latent human desire to launch lots of projectiles at people, this HLP-1 does.

And the best part of all - twintails!
Yay :D
The HLP-1 is a favorite of mine too, it's like equipping your ship with additional DPS.
A lot of the Hierarchy missiles will be interceptable, it's just that in episode 1 a lot of the missiles that get shot at you are also missiles the player can use. Giving those missiles hitpoints would make player missiles a lot less fun to use.

Played it, finished it. 20/10. I have bought extra copies to play as well.

Seriously, that played through without a hitch*, redesigned control scheme kept getting me but I've always been too lazy to rebind keys. I didn't experience any errors or anything that seemed out of the ordinary, and overall was a very smooth experience, FPS rarely dipped to 40 and was consistently much higher, nothing wrong with performance.

Nothing but praise on my end, Fantastic! Loved it! Obligatory: Where is Episode 2?

Spoiler:
Flying the Mk III and turned glide on accidentally, didn't know what I had pressed and was flying away from the bombers attacking the Zeph.. felt so helpless. Thank goodness NuWOD contains IRC support! :D
Great to hear :D

I've personally gotten so used to WoD's default control layout out, that I frequently import the Controlconfigdefaults.tbl into other freespace mods  (though the muscle memory of the classic layout is still pretty deeply embedded into me) :P

I've only played a few missions so far, and have to leave my PC for 5 days tomorrow :( but I need to say: AWESOME WORK!  :yes2: :nod: :yes:
I'm loving this so much it should be illegal  ;7
Also super chuffed that I got a mention in the battle-live-feed :D
:D
Hope you didn't mind that Axem shortened your name a bit

And.. umm... one minor nitpick, I broke the training mission and had to restart it, if you manage to destroy one of the missile launching ships the next one doesn't arrive (ramming speed!!  :nervous:)
Whoops.
I actually tried doing that a couple of times but never ended up killing any. One time, one got away with 2% hull. I was 2% hull away from discovering that bug...

I'm a bit confused about Dawn's visit with
It's a mystery~
Urutorahappī!!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Damn you Spoon, if you had released it a DAY earlier, I could play the new release too... Till tomorrow, I have to wait. :D
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Managed to unlock "the lewd". Seems the carpet doesn't match the drapes :P. Dawn is just the cutest little psychopath.
I think I'm going to modify the ai-profiles.tbm so I take 100% damage on insane on my next playthrough, maybe It'll be more of a challenge then.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Lorric

Interesting thing that I wonder if and how Spoon has covered, as I'd be amazed if he hasn't encountered it. His capital ships have very low HP compared to the ones in Freespace by numbers. What I did was put a CSA Ascension up against a Zy Basileus to see which one would win. The Basileus gets crushed in a matter of seconds, but then the only-lost-a-few-%HP Ascension dies too. This happened all but once and I realised what was happening, it gets struck by a piece of debris from the Basileus, and because of the very low HP, gets obliterated.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't think the problem is because it has very little HP.
Debris is deadly.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lorric

I don't think the problem is because it has very little HP.
Debris is deadly.
I did a test and that is the problem. I jacked up the HP to 100,000 and it took 10% damage from the hit. So perhaps that means debris delivers a straight 10,000 damage. The Ascension with its normal 3,750 HP can't take that.

Whether Spoon has this covered I don't know.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Damn you Spoon, if you had released it a DAY earlier, I could play the new release too... Till tomorrow, I have to wait. :D
Sorry! I tried to release as fast as I could!  :p

Managed to unlock "the lewd". Seems the carpet doesn't match the drapes :P. Dawn is just the cutest little psychopath.
They totally match though!  :p

I think I'm going to modify the ai-profiles.tbm so I take 100% damage on insane on my next playthrough, maybe It'll be more of a challenge then.
You mentioned finding the difficulty too easy in the review thread. You are sort of right about the difficulty being lower because it's the introduction campaign. But on the other hand you can also blame my play testers for finding it too difficult. :p

There's also the fact that the skill levels within the freespace community vary tremendously, on one hand you've got elite veteran players that can take on every challenge, on the other end the people that struggle playing it on medium. It's pretty hard to strike a good balance for it. So I've tried to balance the insane difficulty around my own skill level (since I actually need to be able to complete the missions myself, to test it), so you can take pride in the fact that you are a much better pilot than I am!  :p

Interesting thing that I wonder if and how Spoon has covered, as I'd be amazed if he hasn't encountered it. His capital ships have very low HP compared to the ones in Freespace by numbers. What I did was put a CSA Ascension up against a Zy Basileus to see which one would win. The Basileus gets crushed in a matter of seconds, but then the only-lost-a-few-%HP Ascension dies too. This happened all but once and I realised what was happening, it gets struck by a piece of debris from the Basileus, and because of the very low HP, gets obliterated.
As Droid said, debris is insanely deadly and also completely unworkable.
The capital ships aren't giant pools of HP for a bunch of gameplay reasons, but they do get a significant damage reduction from weapons that are not AntiCap

(And that's 6x :p smilies in one post)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I'm going to need a bit of spoonfeeding here.
Spoiler:
To unlock "the lewd", I need two things, right? One is in mission 3, the other in mission 4. I'm pretty sure the crates of "Soap" are the thing in mission 4, but what should I look for in mission 3?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoiler:
It's visible from your starting position in mission 3
Urutorahappī!!