Author Topic: General forum game discussion  (Read 63628 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: General forum game discussion
Yeah, a big thanks to everyone who played.  And an even bigger thanks to Spoon for running it all for us  :yes:  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Can't say I'm not bummed at the result.

But yeah, thanks for running this. I hope you've learned a lot about how to improve the next game's experience.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

There were ups and downs, but overall it was a pleasure. Looking forward to the main game. :nod:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Yes some good lessons learned I think, defo worth the time and like the others have said, thanks for hosting it spoon
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Veers

I think that was solid test of the rules. :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
o7
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well frak me, I'll have to hand in my UGCR commerce badge after letting us come dead last in economics/resources  :lol:
Dead last in economy and still second place in points. :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Gotta kill 'em all... United Guilds of Warfare perhaps  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Congratulations everyone on a game well played.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
GG, everyone

A big round of applause and "not to be underestimated" thanks to our host and organizer, Spoon.

First off you did a great thing of putting this together, even if the results were not always to your liking. But then again "do, learn, do better" and this game was not just done but well done in the great scheme of things.

And I think the Test Game showed the weaknesses of the rule-seet (order economony in tactical; deployment into tactical; accessibility concerns) but also it's strengths (Diplomacy made for a very entertaining early game, Strategic warfare was awesome compared to the chore of Tactical). Look foward to see what comes of it and to see it in action on an expanded scale.

Once more, thank you, Spoon. You did good.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well frak me, I'll have to hand in my UGCR commerce badge after letting us come dead last in economics/resources  :lol:
Dead last in economy and still second place in points. :yes:

Gotta spend money to make mone- errr points.
Actually our "economy" in terms of income is tied 2nd/3rd with the SF. We just didn't stockpile at the end.

Cheers! Thanks for the testgame!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
damn, SF came out at a last, there tough, we had some intern problems as well as the whole coalition thing hampering us down in the start :D

Research points, go home - you're drunk.

I would be on for another round actually.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:03:55 pm by TheHound »
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--