Author Topic: Masters of Orion  (Read 4230 times)

Offline LoneFan

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between the jump point system used in MOO like games and in FS2 and WOD. Seems to be a popular convention in scifi games. It is also interesting such a system to guide players was abandoned for a different free roaming system in Star Control 2.

A remastered version of Masters of Orion has been released on Steam.
I would like to know what others might think of a WOD conversion for MOO.
The re-release does not yet have mod support, but I am hopping  that is will soon. It is not fully implemented yet. While playable it is missing two races and some features.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:20:10 am by LoneFan »

Offline -Norbert-

I don't know about 3 and 1, but in MOO2 there were no jump-points. You could jump from any system into any other system, as long as you had the range and no black hole was between them.

But there are quite a few MOO fans that strongly dislike the jump-lane system in the new MOO.

Offline LoneFan

I don't know about 3 and 1, but in MOO2 there were no jump-points. You could jump from any system into any other system, as long as you had the range and no black hole was between them.

But there are quite a few MOO fans that strongly dislike the jump-lane system in the new MOO.
I agree, the jump point system can be aggravating, especially when you are trying to intercept an enemy fleet and you both just keep going back and forth along the jump point.
Hmmm, perhaps special combat rules within a jump point could be established. NO Shields, explosive ordinance damages everybody, ect. 

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Fairly sure MoO1 worked with the same fuel cell travel range as MoO2 did.

Anyway, I've never made it a secret that the jump point system was inspired by Ascendancy, including the name of Starlance. That was my first 4x game (my mom got it for cheap some day because the cd casing of the game was broken) and I clocked a lot of hours into it.

Of course a MoO4 mod conversion in WoD style would be rad. But so much work that nobody would probably under take it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LoneFan

Something about steam workshop support has been mentioned, but will not be implemented till the full game is ready.