Author Topic: 1st nuWod anniversary  (Read 12955 times)

1st nuWod anniversary
Congratulations to nuWod, it's now officially 1 year old. We can use this opportunity to praise this great mod and complain about Episode 2 not being released yet(mostly the latter I'm guessing :P)
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: 1st nuWod anniversary
Normally, I don't care for things like 100% runs, but I spent the first week of its release doing my best to explore every mission and dialog option. I think I managed to pull it off.

Then all the music was stuck in my head for almost another two weeks.

I can't wait to do that again. Especially with the stuff shown in the dev blog.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
10/10, was a helluva lotta fun, I can recall laughing manically in the 1st mission in the Ray III at the sheer fun of spraying gunfire all over the place with that ballistic primary (I forget the name, SORRY!).

Also, the new HUD is very cool, I think it was the 1st "big" HUD I used recently and boy it makes a difference. Used to be very much "I want crisp non-scaled gauges" but now, give me bigger gauges so I can see what's going on easily!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

The HUD was honestly a bit too big for me tbh. I edited the tables so the whole HUD doesn't scale but I re-enabled scaling on the radar since that's really helpful. Other gauges are readable even when they're small.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hoorah

I was actually planning on making an anniversary dev post today, but you beat me to it. Though admittedly, in my local time, its already april 5th (Something something about never being able to do deadlines). But hey, its always motivating to know people are looking forward for the next part!

The HUD was honestly a bit too big for me tbh. I edited the tables so the whole HUD doesn't scale but I re-enabled scaling on the radar since that's really helpful. Other gauges are readable even when they're small.
A case of no size fits all
Good thing Freespace is so moddable  :p

So it's been a whole year already and I wish I could say "It's been a year and the next release is going to be near!" but that's unforunately not the reality of things. It might actually be an whole other year before the next release. Aiming for quality unforuntately always takes time. But, what has actually been done so far? What have I been doing since releasing the first episode?

To be blunt and super honest, not a whole lot of direct WoD related progress. The past year, I've devoted a lot of my creative energy towards creating JAD character art, and mastering the moonrune program of Emofuri in the mean time. While Axem has kept making improvements to the VN script, it's now incredibly easy (even more so than before) to use. And Niffiwan then made it all possible to use animated png's from the coding end. So if you want a glimps on what to expect for future WoD VN segments, take a look at the April 1st demo release of JAD! The end of my JAD related labors are coming into view now though, after exporting roughly 20,000 frames. So I can almost go back to being super productive for WoD (with a bit of side fredding for BWO) and hopefully breeze through development like with original WoD. (I... I can hope right?)

And then of course, Swifty dropped in and made shields awesome looking, which I posted about a while back in the dev blog thread.
There's been work on assets, with the Hertak being in the works for getting a complete overhaul. It's going to be a drastic change from their totally not shivan trademark black and red with forward spikes. But hopefully just as, if not more so, intimidating. Hades is also currently working on making the Nordera Bombadier into something a bit Starlancer inspired:
Taking these down before their can unleash their deadly payload is going to be a priority!

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
oooh, nice looking ship... almost seems a bit "too" nice for the Nodera though... but it doesn't have the greebling yet so should probably just shaddup for now :)

Also; that's a lot of VN frames  :eek2:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I think it fits the Nordera just fine. It's big, bulky, and has huge ROKKITS. The Nordera are underdeveloped, sure, but they can still bend a sheet of metal, not everything they fly has to be a brick.
I especially like the jaws at the front, fits the Nordera aesthetic.

Offline LoneFan

Happy anniversary.  Any update is a good update.

oooh, nice looking ship... almost seems a bit "too" nice for the Nodera though... but it doesn't have the greebling yet so should probably just shaddup for now :)

Also; that's a lot of VN frames  :eek2:

I actually kinda agree. It seems too nice and too shiny.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I believe shiny would be expected. After all, it is from a line of ships made of industrial-finish steel plate.

And as far as nice goes it's almost a wrench-grip away from being part of the Ork arsenal. But that's good, something that's little more than an engine cluster and torpedoes works for the Nordera.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
...is it bad to say that I actually preferred the original WOD story, though? It was just so anime.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
...is it bad to say that I actually preferred the original WOD story, though? It was just so anime.

No, it is a question of taste after all ...

... but then again, we have yet to see nuWoD story to completely arc like oWoD did...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Axem

How dare you sir, how dare you.

I mean... it's hard to fully judge a story when you only have the first 6 missions. What happened in the first six missions of oldWoD? Also the general story is pretty much the same, Dawn gets brainwashed, attacks rebels, goes through time, gets pulled into space war. Except instead of being picked up by the Guardian Angel, Dawn gets picked up by friendly mercs.

But worry not, one day I'll release Spoon from this cage I trapped him in and he can continue the newWoD story so he can prove just how wrong you are and just how anime he can make it.

~~~ultrafanaxem

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
To follow up on the nordera bomber, here it is ingame
https://my.mixtape.moe/bhhekw.webm
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm already a little scared of those. Solid rounds hurt and a group of those would have damn good coverage.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Punchy! And the guns are in turrets vs fixed primary mounts?
----
----

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Holy...

Those are some big missiles.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To follow up on the nordera bomber, here it is ingame
https://my.mixtape.moe/bhhekw.webm

Ooh, function at its finest. Can barely see the stripes, though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Gah.

Now I want to call it the Phsyalis, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline LoneFan

Wow, very pretty. Is the flaming mouth a standard effect :lol:, if not you might want to think about it.