Author Topic: 1st nuWod anniversary  (Read 12956 times)

Re: 1st nuWod anniversary
Is that really a Nordera ship? It went a whole 30 seconds without exploding, I think this violates the established Nordera aesthetic.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline CKid

Wow, Nordera fighters already makes a big boom when going down. How large is the shock-wave of one of those bastards?
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Punchy! And the guns are in turrets vs fixed primary mounts?
Yes, it doesn't have primary banks.

Wow, very pretty. Is the flaming mouth a standard effect :lol:, if not you might want to think about it.
Hah, it was purely accidental in this case. But that does sound like a fun idea.
Now if only Freespace had easy to use particle emitters...

Is that really a Nordera ship? It went a whole 30 seconds without exploding, I think this violates the established Nordera aesthetic.
They're trying to change their image. Aiming for that 40 seconds without exploding aesthetic!

Wow, Nordera fighters already makes a big boom when going down. How large is the shock-wave of one of those bastards?
A quick question to Axem later, he say he can script the explosion size being dependent on how many missiles the ship has fired.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LoneFan

A quick question to Axem later, he say he can script the explosion size being dependent on how many missiles the ship has fired.
I love this attention to detail.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:02:49 am by LoneFan »

Offline Lorric

I also wondered about the explosion.

It would be funny if they flew in formation and all you had to do was destroy one, and it would take the entire formation of bombers down with it. That would be so Nordera. :p

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Punchy! And the guns are in turrets vs fixed primary mounts?
Yes, it doesn't have primary banks.

And that works? I remember that we were having trouble at The Babylon Project because we had a craft designated a "fighter" but with no guns... caused a lot of crashes until we found out what was going on. (but then again that was years ago)

I am not Axem but

- when
- - <
- - - get-secondary-ammo {Nodera Bomber} {Bank X}
- - - {whatever}
- - set-explosion-option {Nodera Bomber} [damage] {whats-your-poison}

is actually already possible with FRED --- so you could turn that in a script with no problems...

*)and this is of course only the most basic version, you could actually go with an every-time and actual math to streamline it :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:53:53 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Gah.

Now I want to call it the Phsyalis, though.

Ditto.

I'm in love with that beast already, also late to the anniversary but hey! New JAD stuff?! That's always cool, gonna look forward the forthcoming sparse news about WoD also, because WoD is one of the best.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Well, I restarted playing it, sans flight stick due my logitech killing itself.

The keyboard controls... aren't half-arsed and actually usable.

Spoon, you're a spoony bastard ya know that?
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've been told this before, I'm still not entirely sure how to interpret it :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I've been told this before, I'm still not entirely sure how to interpret it :p

Quite a forky response, if I dare say so :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
OVER THE LINE
Urutorahappī!!

So I wanted to replay WoD for some time and now that I have some free time I did. Thought I might as well record it because why not?
This is on a modified difficulty with full player and subsystem damage, full AI firerate for all AI classes and full AI turn times for all fighter classes. I left the "Allied capships" class alone. I called it "White Devil" mode because I couldn't think of anything more clever.

Here's the playlist if anyone's interested. Shameless self-plug.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC89WYnIXtfUhw4IB7_P4GPMi4wWHSEeU

Sadly Youtube doesn't seem to like my colourful HUD as the limited bitrate makes it look all messy.
Also since WoD uses copyrighted music all the videos got content ID'd but none of them got removed or restricted(they might be unavailable on mobile though). Not much I can really do about that.

EDIT: Well, most of them got taken down, thanks to Bandai. They switched their policy from "slaps some ads on it" to "PURGE PURGE PURGE". Sorry to the 2 people that were likely to watch them in the future. Obviously taking down a 10 min video that uses a 22s music clip transformatively is completely fine and the youtube copyright system isn't stupid at all. Youtube doesn't even recognize those parts as "music" so I can't just remove it and editing, re-encoding, and re-uploading everything isn't something I'm likely to do.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:06:04 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Watched all of it just now, super interesting to see a highly skilled veteran play WoD! The Ostfront mission especially gets really hectic on this modified difficulty. And you've got such a party hud, all them colors.
But man, when you cut all the talky bits, it's only like an hour worth of play time huh.
Also, no love for the Dragonfly? Is it not survivable enough for this difficulty?

(I also chuckled how at the end of mission 3 you spend like a good 3 minutes looking for that container)
Urutorahappī!!

Highly skilled? Sure(Although I did get straight dumpstered by the Zervium on my first attempt). Veteran? Nope, I started playing Freespace open in 2012 or something, I'm no veteran compared to some people here.
I thought recording and uploading all the talky bits was a bit of a waste honestly since they'd take way more time to upload for me than for anyone else to just read/play? through. They don't really change with difficulty much either.

And yeah, I spent like 5 minutes looking for that damn rubber ducky because I forgot where it was  :banghead:
The dragonfly lacks glide and glide is insanely good both for swinging back behind someone to get a lag pursuit curve and for covering long distances quicker. I don't really think my aim is good enough to take full advantage of the increased firepower either.

The Ostfront mission is a huge furball with missile trails and lazers everywhere, I love it. :P Probably the most replayable mission too as it's almost all action with talky bits just to let you rearm and repair.

EDIT: Compiled my deaths into a little fail compilation, shows how quickly you die when you screw up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT7CH-XVk-g
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:10:55 pm by FrikgFeek »

Offline -Norbert-

Ah, the last death was hilarious... for viewers anyway. If that happened to me I'd probably take a bite out of my keyboard.

Yes! I did it! *mine* *boom* ......   :mad::hopping: :banghead:

:lol:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hey man, 4 years is plenty veteran to me. Most people that have hanged out here for longer haven't necessarily played more than you have.
And yeah agreed, recording the VN bits seem kind of pointless. I was just lamenting how the actual gameplay only amounted to an hour or so (assuming you beat all missions in one go).

And yeah, wow. That death compilation shows why I decided to give the player the 0.8 damage factor on medium, hard and insane. You'll sometimes die really fast if the enemy gets a short amount of alone time with your rear end. (And since I'm not as good at my own game as you are, I also needed to be able to playtest on insane and not repeately die  :shaking: )

And as -Norbert- said, that last death was great  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Yeah, I guess. The most drastic change was definitely removing the AI fire and turn rate penalties though.

Wingman average originally had a 1.2 factor for firerate and 1.6 for turn rate even on insane. Not only did they do quite a bit less damage due to both the player damage factor and firerate limit, they wouldn't even be able to get on the shapely behind of your lovely ray due to that huge turn rate penalty.
Removing those limits turns even the mookiest of mook pirates into somewhat credible threats if you're not paying attention.

That last death provoked a girly scream tbh. Took my hands off the gamepad, did a little stretch as I just glide over back to the zephy, campaign over and space elves shown what's what. And then that random mine just flies in out of nowhere and kills me :mad:.

Offline LoneFan

Yeah, I guess. The most drastic change was definitely removing the AI fire and turn rate penalties though.

Removing those limits turns even the mookiest of mook pirates into somewhat credible threats if you're not paying attention.
A hard lesson for those used to having the deck staked in their favor.