Author Topic: which is which!!  (Read 7554 times)

hi,  at  the early 1990, i started playing wc games.  i came across a few  of them but i never realy   payed attention to the names of those games .
now i am trying to restore some good old memories and am trying to find some of those games and i didnt know wing  commander had all those games  witch i saw at  wcnews.com/guides  . ok now i  made a search  at an abandonwear ws  to see what wc games i can download  .
 and it tells me the falowing :
  1_wing commander  academy
  2_         //                  armada
  3_         //                  privateer
  4_        //                   secret ops
  5_        //                   kilrathi saga
  6_        //                  unknown enemy
  ok all this  is great  what i need  to ask is:  witch of the previous games is  wing comander (1,2,3,4)   or non of them is? because at the game guides they dont say the  titles of the  game just the number wing commander  1,2.... ec ,  and i want to know witch one is  1 or 2 so i can get the game i want lol . i know this letter is another episod of my poor vocabulelry but i didnt find the time to go to the dictionary. guyes at the language  cheking feel free to edit my message to  correct spelling if you want but please dont  delete it .
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:38:33 pm by 2597 »

Offline Zarax

The first 4 WCs were called 1,2,3 and 4 :p
Kilrathi saga should be a later pack with the first 3 titles, while privateer is an elite-style space trade/fighting game (IIRC).
About academy, armada and unknown enemy i don't have the faintest hint, secret ops is the last WC ever made, sort of half sequel/free standalone mission pack (based on profecy?).
The Best is Yet to Come

Originally posted by aceofbase
  1_wing commander  academy
  2_         //                  armada
  3_         //                  privateer
  4_        //                   secret ops
  5_        //                   kilrathi saga
  6_        //                  unknown enemy

Im pretty sure none of these are abandon ware.

Secondly, Unknown Enemy is a MOD (like SAGA is a mod) based off the Prophecy: Secret Ops engine.

These arent the order in the slightest.

ok all this  is great  what i need  to ask is:  witch of the previous games is  wing comander (1,2,3,4)  or non of them is?

None of them specifically, except maybe Kilrathi SAGA which is WC1+2+3 reprogrammed for Windows. They still go for hundreds on ebay so if it was abandon ware people sure are wasting their money eh?

because at the game guides they dont say the  titles of the  game just the number wing commander  1,2.... ec ,  and i want to know witch one is  1 or 2 so i can get the game i want lol.

Look on ebay, should be quite cheap now.

i know this letter is another episod of my poor vocabulelry but i didnt find the time to go to the dictionary. guyes at the language  cheking feel free to edit my message to  correct spelling if you want but please dont  delete it . [/B]

I understood you

Ed

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
For the WC games 1-5 they have subtitels, but the main titel is WC, WC2,WC3 ans so on....lets see if I could get all the subtitels together

WC1 -> No subtitle
WC1 Secret Missions 1 -> ???
WC1 Secret Missions 2 -> ???

WC2 -> Vengance of the Kilrathi
WC2 Special Operations 1 -> ???
WC2 Special Operations 2 -> Crusade

WC3 -> Heart of the Tiger

WC4 -> The price of freedom

WC5 -> Prophecy
WC5 Secret Ops -> No subtitle

Now their have been some games that are in the same universe, but not in a strict historical order.

WC: Academy -> First try on a "Build your own missions" for WC

WC: Armada -> A "strategie" game in the WC Universe

WC: Privateer -> Trade and fight sim.

WC: Privateer 2 -> "The Darkening" also Trade and fightgame with real actors and cinematic sequenzes.

WC: Kilrathi Saga -> Contains the Win95 version of the first 3 games.

And now the titels of some mods in development

WC: Unknown enemy -> Has been release, based in the WC5: Secret Ops engine (vision). Can be found here Unknown Enemy

WC: Standoff -> Still in development, first demo has been released. Also based in the Vision engine. Can be found here Standoff

WC: Saga -> Well this is our forum so I guess you know what its about ^_^

WC: Privateer Remake -> Don't know a lot about it...as the name says they try to recreate Privateer PrivRemake

WC: The Reckoning -> Privateer remake based on the Freelancer engine.

PS: As far as I know some of the games are on the abandoneware sites, but I don't know if they realy are abandoneware.
So try to find the games on Ebay if you want a legal copy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 11:33:24 am by 551 »
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Sphynx

If you want to play 1-3, buy Kilrathi Saga on e-bay. The problem is, it is hard to find and expensive. But, it is not abandonware, so be aware that any internet download would be illegal, and thus I think it would be a bad idea (I know, I know, we love the games and want a way to play them... life is difficult that way).

You can purchase WC 4 on e-bay for less. There's both a DOS and and a Windows version.

If you want the feeling of WC2, go to wcnews.com, download the free (and legal) Prophecy Secret Ops starter package, and then dowload the mod Standoff.

Then, if you just wait, you will get the free and legal Wing Commander Saga coming out, and it will be worth your wait.

So, free and legal options are Standoff and Wing Commander Saga. There is also a free and legal Wing Commander: Privateer remake available at vegastrike.sourceforge.net
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
You forgot Unknown Enemy...its also legal.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Sphynx

Oh, yes, my mistake. I guess I'm entitled to a few of those. :) Now that I think of it, there's a guy who made something called Flight Commander, that is something like WC Prophecy. That's also available at wcnews.com
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Yes forgot about that

Flight Commander -> A selfprogrammed engine that tries to recreate the Secret Ops engine. For a oneman program its nice. Flight Commander

exuse me mister edward bradshaw  . am not trying to classfy any
game publishing rights,  but the  wing commander kilrathi saga is on a very famous abandonwear  ws  witch is a very legal web site and free to download  am not saying the link but hey we all know it   (hu...)  lol.  its about 73mb to download  on win 98.  and to say the truth i dont care about any  legal or  illegal thing!!!
in fact am downloading it now do you think i should stop? anyway i dont have a credit card to buy it and i cant stop  that downloading maneger from suking in those files lol so...  ohh and   will it run on windows xp??   becouse i downloaded the academy from the same ws and i couldnt run it on dos it keeps telling me to  install it from the flopy
:=/

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I am allways a little scaptical when it comes to abandoneware.
For installing...if it the site I guess it is their should be a readme.

For any help from here...not sure about the forum-rules here but mostly its not allowed/wished to help in this case.

Offline Lynx

It isn't abandonware...actually a lot of stuff on HOTU isn't legally free. Most developers don't care about their older games there, though.

And the HOTU KS there isn't really any good. WC1 and 2 are missing their music and WC3 all the cutscenes(which are what made it so great) IIRC.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
In that case its not worth the download anyway ^_^

game publishing rights,  but the  wing commander kilrathi saga is on a very famous abandonwear  ws  witch is a very legal web site and free to download
:=/

Um well if its got copyrighted matieral availble to download and hasnt got permission then it is hardly "very legal" then is it, no matter if the developes care or not. EA doesnt sell Kilrathi Saga anymore but its still doesnt mean its legal to have it downloadable. Acually  downloading Secret Ops is apparently not legal either which personally I think is ridiculous as it was free to begin with.

My problem with downloading Kilrathi Saga is not so much the legal aspect but simply that the pirates cut so much out of it. Not that Ive tried, but 73MB is VERY small. WC3 alone came on 4 CDs. If they cut out all the music and cutscenes youve lost at least 80% of the experience. Probably more in fact. The story was told mainly through the cutscenes, so loose them and you wont know whats going on.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 01:41:26 pm by 2444 »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
game publishing rights,  but the  wing commander kilrathi saga is on a very famous abandonwear  ws  witch is a very legal web site and free to download  am not saying the link but hey we all know it   (hu...)  lol.  its about 73mb to download  on win 98.  and to say the truth i dont care about any  legal or  illegal thing!!!

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but please first read then post. :) You'll get a lot less flak headed your way. :D

Got this in an article of IGDA on www.wired.com on abandonware:

... "Copyrights are not considered abandoned just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available," wrote Ric Hirsch, senior vice president for intellectual-property enforcement at the Entertainment Software Association, to Wired News in a statement. "The copyrights in older games remain valid and enforceable regardless of whether they are found on store shelves or not, and copying or distributing those games is a copyright infringement."
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Edward Bradshaw
Um well if its got copyrighted matieral availble to download and hasnt got permission then it is hardly a "legal" site then is it. EA dont sell Kilrathi Saga anymore but its still doesnt mean its legal to have it downloadable. Apparently downloading Secreat Ops is not legal either which personally I think is ridiculous as it was free to begin with.  

what can I say, it pays to stay in school :D

Originally posted by Edward Bradshaw
My problem with downloading Kilrathi Saga is simply that the pirates cut so much out of it. Not that Ive tried, but 73MB is VERY small. WC3 alone came on 4 CDs. If they cut out all the music and cutscenes youve lost at least 80% of the experience. Probably more in fact. The story was told mainly through the cutscenes, so loose them and you wont know what you are doing.
Ed

Actually, if you have old WC3 discs you can run the game with movies. Apparently, only run time libraries and music were replaced, movie package remained as in the original game.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Why should I want to have the Kilrathi Saga when I have WC3?
I think only for WC1+2 its worth the try, but without sound and music...well I prefer DosBox with my original copy ^_^

well am happy te pirates cut from the game, what i want is to fly the missions and fire missiles,what good would some muzic or a few cartoon epissods  do to me.sir i have 56 kps modem do you want me to download   600 mb of  muzic files !!!  do you have any idea haw mutch time  it will take me and the phone billes cost.
any way i just got some new up to date metalica cds lol i will put them on will am   dogfighting.  
and i didnt ask for any help installing the academy i was only telling you what happend in fact i will never ever   download any dos games from now on  the past is past. all i asked for is do you think the kilrathi saga would run on win xp and do you think did the pirates cut missions or others parts of the game playe??
edited: i never said kilrathi saga or any athers game is abandonware i just said the are on an abandonware ws.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 02:08:27 pm by 2597 »

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I would say if you just got a modem go over to ebay and buy the original...prices are mostly low...except for the DVD version of WC4 and Kilrathi Saga.

Oh and I recommend you to watch the videos and play the full game...special WC3 with its real actors is something to watch.
Also the cartoon graphics of WC1+2 are nice and add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

well am happy te pirates cut from the game, what i want is to fly the missions and fire missiles,what good would some muzic or a few cartoon epissods  do to me.sir

:) Because sir, WC1 and 2 used cartoon cutscenes but they told the story. WC3 used LIVE ACTION cutscenes and CGI sequences thats why its so huge. And sure you can live without the music but whats the point in playing if you dont know where you are, what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what the point is?

If you want a truly unsatisfying game experience play Kilrathi SAGA WC3 with no cutscenes.

download any dos games from now on  the past is past. all i asked for is do you think the kilrathi saga would run on win xp and do you think did the pirates cut missions or others parts of the game playe??

Again my problem with Kilrathi Saga is NOT that it is copyright infringement to download it. Its that to download it without ALL of the content is pointless. Though as Tolwyn said if you have the original discs it can still be usefull.

I dont know if it can run on XP. But I believe so.

Ed

Offline Lynx

KS WC1 and 2 run on XP. KS WC3 runs on some XP machines, but not all. It has strange issues with locking up, and it hasn't been determined yet what causes that(and probably never will, my copy is affected too:( )
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.