Author Topic: Why Silent Threat (THE ORIGINAL) was so bad?  (Read 23419 times)

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Why Silent Threat (THE ORIGINAL) was so bad?
I'd like to know why people thought the original ST was so bad. I agree that it was a steaming pile of crap; but I want to know why others don't like it.

I for one thought that the entire campaign was technically flawed. There were voice files in the original VP which did not play during the campaign. Was that why the plot seemed so fragmented?

And secondly, do you all consider STR to be canon?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Re: Why Silent Threat (THE ORIGINAL) was so bad?
Well some of the missions were poorly designed. ratna mission and the final mission particularly. Some missions had no bearing on the plot and seemed tacked on. The plot while followable and a nice idea was clunky and done in completly the wrong way.

Also the first two missions seemedto me to be these "lets blow lots of s**t up" types...Though i do like how the first mission flowed into the rest of the plot (such as it was). No offence to ST:R which is a fantastic campaign, but the first mission of ST:R to me seems tacked on. It has no real relevence to the story.

Though i have formed my own backstory on the matter - the Rebel GTA pilots were the most trigger happy members of the the GTI rebellion. As such they were a liabillity. So the R&D set up the incident in (Beta Aquilla?) that resulted in these loose cannons being "silenced" by...which ever branch was headed by the GTD Krios

But i digress.

MY opinion of original Silent Threat was that it was a rushed Alpha or Beta build.
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And secondly, do you all consider STR to be canon?
No.

I consider it fanon, in that it's a really cool addition and that I would probably base some of my stuff on, but I don't consider it canon in the way that I wouldn't like people citing it as a canon source in debates.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
I agree with Snail on that. The original Silent Threat while s***ty is the only canon version as it was made by :v: ST:R is a fan made replacement, showing how Silent Threat could have been if it had the development time and the technology (hardware and Software).

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Locutus of Borg

Consider however that STR explains some stuff, that Silent threat does not, such as the Hades engine sticking out of the ground in Deneb.
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Consider however that STR explains some stuff, that Silent threat does not, such as the Hades engine sticking out of the ground in Deneb.
Still not canon.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Basically ST:R is a fantastic fan made attempt to fill in the plot holes in the Original and explain the discontinuities between FS1 and FS2

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Locutus of Borg

But this end result may have been the intention of the original ST; but they didn't fully complete the missions

The voice files I found seemed to correspond with missions in ST:R, that were not present in ST.

I don't think it's canon either, but I want to discuss it regardless.
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
...but the first mission of ST:R to me seems tacked on. It has no real relevence to the story.
:wtf:

The first mission of ST:R is the same as the first mission of ST, people were assholes, so everyone had to die before someone could snitch and bugger the entire alliance up.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
I know that. When i asked Goober about it, he said that it was originally meant to tie in with the rest of the story sone way but that plot point was dropped...i'll find the exact post in a moment.

[edit]
finally found it
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,60929.240.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:52:08 pm by terran_emperor »

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Though i do like how the first mission flowed into the rest of the plot (such as it was). No offence to ST:R which is a fantastic campaign, but the first mission of ST:R to me seems tacked on. It has no real relevence to the story.
See the explanation below.

I know that. When i asked Goober about it, he said that it was originally meant to tie in with the rest of the story
No, I said at one point we considered adding a more explicit connection to the conspiracy.  Originally, and in the final release, its purpose was to show the progression of Terran-Vasudan relations.  They go from trigger-happy brawlers in the first mission to cooperating in the last mission.

We did think of associating the rogue Terran pilots more closely with the GTI, but we couldn't think of a good way to do it, and there was already too much other stuff in the campaign.  We kept the Hammer of Light out of ST:R (except for one line) for the same reason.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
I can understand HoL being kept out. I imagine that the Zods were busy dealing with them "offscreen" so to speak.

BTW Goob, when i made my post, i was trying to remember what i asked and couldn't find you're response. I can see your point though, there was so much already involved.

However, i still feel that "silence all voices" flowed better with the plot in the original...(about the only praise i'll give the original) and hope you won't mind if i stick to the backstory i created within my mind for the ST:R version.

Thats my only critizism for Reborn - that the first mission doesnt connect to the plot as well as the original version did. In the original it leads into the einstein incident. In Reborn its just there. Other than that, i think Reborn is AbFab - i'm glad i waited 4-5 years for it.

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Thats my only critizism for Reborn - that the first mission doesnt connect to the plot as well as the original version did. In the original it leads into the einstein incident. In Reborn its just there. Other than that, i think Reborn is AbFab - i'm glad i waited 4-5 years for it.
One could just as easily say that the first mission or two of the original FS1 campaign didn't connect to the plot at all.  I feel like ST:R's decision to leave the first mission as that stand-alone type was a solid one, since it showed the sort of work that a normal GTI pilot would be doing when not being forced to deal with massive conspiracies.  (See also the FS1 classic Destiny of Peace, where the player's first job was that of a traffic cop.)  I did like how the original Silent Threat tied the first mission into the second at the time, but in retrospect, spending the first third of the campaign on what turned out to be essentially a frivolity was one of the main flaws with it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
One could just as easily say that the first mission or two of the original FS1 campaign didn't connect to the plot at all.  I feel like ST:R's decision to leave the first mission as that stand-alone type was a solid one, since it showed the sort of work that a normal GTI pilot would be doing when not being forced to deal with massive conspiracies.
Well yes, there was definitely that as well; we wanted to include standard GTI missions (or as many as we could without digressing).  We tried to divide ST:R into three major acts: Act I (missions 1-6) was about doing standard GTI stuff, with lots of "suspicious incidents"; Act II (missions 7-11) was about defeating the Shivans; and Act III (missions 12-18) was about defeating the GTI.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Well in that case, i'll withdraw my complaint since i now see what you're saying

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Locutus of Borg

I tend to agree

the first missions of FS and ST:R aren't supposed to be grandiose battles; but are supposed to give you an idea of what a GTA or GTI pilot does respectively. 
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Okay. if some one had said it was a "Monster-of-the-Week" mission instead of a "Story Arc" mission then i wouldn't have complained

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Okay. if some one had said it was a "Monster-of-the-Week" mission instead of a "Story Arc" mission then i wouldn't have complained

Heheh... "Monster-of-the-Week."
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
To use X-files terms... Stand Alone rather than part of the continuing story
But off topic.

Anyway, ST original had potential but was sorely lacking

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Anyway, ST original had potential but was sorely lacking

QFT

No Spirit in it