Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 212120 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Aha!
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by TopAce
Are you posting high poly model pictures because you want Smart to see what his team should overtake? I think Mr. Smart gave up visiting this forum.
By the way, a new FreeSpace game would be far more beautiful than FSO. The prior sentence is not supposed to offend neither the SCP nor their program. I simply wanted to give stress on that a new game engine would overtake and even run rings around the old but modified engine.

Like freelancer or X2 compared to FSO? No, wait...
:p
SCREW CANON!

Offline 01010

Are you posting high poly model pictures because you want Smart to see what his team should overtake? I think Mr. Smart gave up visiting this forum.
By the way, a new FreeSpace game would be far more beautiful than FSO. The prior sentence is not supposed to offend neither the SCP nor their program. I simply wanted to give stress on that a new game engine would overtake and even run rings around the old but modified engine.

Umm, have you ever seen any of his games, I'm not saying that graphics make a game but when your playing a game that's just released and manages to look five years old, you should worry.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Hey, are we receiving new members a lot?

If so, make some huge "Welcome to HLP" announcement, with links to kara's FAQ, wiki, pics of SCP and so on.
lol wtf

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
Its ok, cause Bobbaou's doin' the same :lol:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69354&start=50

Check the first page of this topic. As soon as I realised that this topic was getting links for other sites I changed my original post so that it pimped the SCP :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Mr. Derek Smart.

I must congratulate you.

You have done what few people could have thought possible; what fewer people could have even imagined. For this, I credit you.

What have you done? Quite simple, really. You have given this community what may be the greatest gift since the release of Freespace.

Previously, in our complacency, we would have never imagined Freespace 3; we may have had hope, but in our hearts, we knew it would be an impossibility. But that's what we had mods and campaigns for, to expand on the legacy left behind with Freespace 2. We knew that we would, could, not be able to reach Freespace 3. Despite knowing that we couldn't get there, we knew that we could try. As such, the efforts and the mods came about, resulting in the many releases and works in progresses you see today.

Yet, before today, I could safely say that as a whole, the community was actually waining a bit. People were suffering RL commitments, and a few mods had faltered, while others were going on slower than usual.

Then you came along Mr. Smart. I can safely say you changed everything, turning the entire scenario on it's head, holding before us the tantalizing prospect of Freespace 3. It was something we only dreamed about, something we had put on the back burner of hope for ages, and now you promised us to make it a reality.

But, Mr. Smart, I must say this, and say this honestly. You did not promise Freespace 3 for us. From the second paragraph onwards, from your first post on this forum, I can safely say that you have no intention of making Freespace 3 as it truly should be. You have no intention of making Freespace 3 for anyone others than yourself and the fan base from your Battlecruiser series. On top of that, you come here, where you have absolutely no bearing or standing and then threaten us, to shut down and destroy nearly five years of effort that we have put in to this community.

For that, I condemn you. But you have made it a point that you care little what we say, so I won't bother with this point.

But rather, I still congratulate you Mr. Smart. You have given me something, something far more valuable than Freespace 3 shall ever be. I will not speak for the rest of the community here; I will let them speak for themselves if they agree with me or not, it is their choice to do so.

You have given me (and most like all of us) Purpose Mr. Smart.

It is this purpose that now Drives us; guides us and even binds us, Mr. Smart. It is this purpose, that connects us; Accross nations, oceans, the planet and yes, even Religion. It is now this purpose that has activated this place to a hieght never seen before. We have no intention of standing still, and nor shall we ever Mr. Smart. You have mobilized us, and the activity I see over the previous two days is greater than that of the whole previous year. For this, I thank you.

But, my purpose in in all of this is actually quite simple, Mr. Smart. You have threatened to crush us out, and have declared every intention to shut us out from Freespace 3. As mentioned before, I do not speak for the whole Freespace community here, but I do believe the general attitude is correct when I say that It is now my purpose, my every intention, that you never, ever, ever shut this place down.

Make Freespace 3 if you wish, I will not stop you. Market it and make it a big success if you wish; if you succeed, my apology letter will be the first on your desk. Even if you ignore the community as much as you want; fine, its your problem, not mine.

But, success or not, if you even try shutting us down and discredit the achievements we have made here, you are in for trouble, to say the least.

Thank you Mr. Smart, and have a good day.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 08:31:08 am by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Needless effort, Singh, Mr. Smart is not visiting this forum any longer. but it is a good read! :yes:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Needless effort, Singh, Mr. Smart is not visiting this forum any longer. but it is a good read! :yes:

he isnt?
It doesn't matter. I've aired out my thoughts, do with it what you wish.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Not posted here for a long time. Been busy over at Egosoft.

But hey - you have my support...

I read the entire thing and the one thing that keeps games alive throughout problems is the fanbase, and games like Freespace if they are going to be made by someone else other than say Volition, is the fact that the person or people that make it need to listen to the fanbase.

You can not shut communities down, if you do - they move, and they get bigger. But HLP is a great community and well known. - And has mine and no doubt a lot more peoples support who do not post here but are aware of the situation.

Good Luck guys

Jon Handby
No More Incidental Warfare...
I had to go away and help on something else - http://www.egosoft.com

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thanks for the support :)

I've made my opinion clear about the whole thing, I've been far less than impressed with Mr Smart's behaviour and attitude throughout this entire ordeal.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Jon Handby
Not posted here for a long time. Been busy over at Egosoft.

But hey - you have my support...

I read the entire thing and the one thing that keeps games alive throughout problems is the fanbase, and games like Freespace if they are going to be made by someone else other than say Volition, is the fact that the person or people that make it need to listen to the fanbase.

You can not shut communities down, if you do - they move, and they get bigger. But HLP is a great community and well known. - And has mine and no doubt a lot more peoples support who do not post here but are aware of the situation.

Good Luck guys

Jon Handby

this, is comforting indeed, to know that we have the support from a few people from within the industry itself.. :nod: and hopefully more will lend their support to the cause..:)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yay! :)
Hehehe :D

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Originally posted by Derek Smart
In fact, the first thing I'm going to do is remove the beam weapons from the game, as I find that they have NO place in the next Freespace game. Oh, and yeah, no joystick controls either. The keyboard and mouse is just fine as joysticks are ancient and just cater to a niche group of games.

waht.

Singh: One thing went through my mind when I read that..."Agent Smith would've been proud!"

Well said.

And Egosoft...HERE?!! dude...this is getting good...

*pulls up a recliner with pop-corn and drink, and watches the show.*

*Edit: just saw that post above mine. Outraged...to say the least... */edit*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:32:12 am by 660 »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Where'd you get that from?
Its probably some 'tard registered on his name acting stupid. Derek's real name on this board is DSmart.

Seriously, if it is someone being dumb, this doesn't help us guys.

EDIT: Directed towards Blaise's quote.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:30:17 am by 368 »

Offline Inquisitor

Ulcers gents. Watch your ulcers.
No signature.

Offline Zarax

He's going to make another Daikatana...
*thinks about suggesting Mr. Smart to acquire the Duke Nukem brand and develop Duke Nukem forever*
The Best is Yet to Come

Originally posted by Singh
Mr. Derek Smart.

Wot a load of rubbish. But you should be congratulated for the effort though.

Anyway, the reason I came here is to make something clear. I don't like being libeled. I don't like being misinterpreted nor misquoted. I don't like being challenged needlessly.

This AVault post is the ONLY place where I mentioned ANYTHING about legal action.  And it was ONLY in response to Derek Meek's previous post in that same thread.

Here, I will quote it again.

I've seen your infantile posts on HLP and the notion that arguing with an idiot will end up getting you down to their level, fits you like a glove.

Word of warning. People are already setting themselves up to get banned (I think one may have already been banned). There is a very low tolerance threshold around here for the type of behavior you and your [HLP] kinds have displayed here. Unlike that lawless cesspit at HLP, these forums are actually moderated. Healthy debates are welcome. Flames are not.

Let me assure you of one thing that you can go to sleep with tonite. I have FULL intentions of getting this license. If I DO get it, you and your teenny leetle friends on your Ferrous Oxide project, are effectively, shutdown because I don't piss around when it comes to IP properties. You would do well to ask around. I've sued publishers for less and I have attorneys around the world, literally on speed dial.

Now, I will leave you with that thought, as I retire for the evening.

You will eventually come to regret this day. Mark my words.

Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason.

My point was merely as it pertains to the use of the Freespace license and it is a stance that ANY purchaser of the Freespace license would take. Basically, if someone buys the Freespace license, it becomes their property. That basically means that you can't do ANYTHING with it. And you certainly cannot create a Freespace game from it. This has NOTHING to do with Freespace2 mods, though if a company really wants to, it CAN prevent their creation as well.

When Volition released the source code and tools to the FS2 codebase, they put in the public domain and you ladies need to go and actually READ the conditions of its use.

My post to Derek Meek was merely to point out that IF you folks continue along this path of action, I have NO incentive to let you use ANY aspect of that license if I bought it. NONE.  Sure, you are all welcome to put your pennies together and fight me. Good luck with that because you CLEARLY have NO clue who you're dealing with.

That is all I came here to say. So please stop spreading stupid nonsense (such as this crap over at Blues about me using HLP and such nonsense) or it will just end up making me even more pissed. I'm NOT and NEVER have been a very forgiving person when it comes to those who go out of their way to harrass and libel me. Believe me, I'm the LAST person you folks want as an adversary. You just don't know it yet.

Most games thrive on their communities and I NEVER said ANYTHING about shutting out fans. My point is simple, the actions of the HLP majority has tarnished the reputation of THIS particular Freespace fanbase and thats all there is to it. There a THOUSANDS of other Freespace fans around the world who are neither part of HLP nor ever heard of them. You, don't be complacent and conceited in thinking that HLP is the end all and be all of the Freespace fanbase. Even if that were the case, NOBODY in the right minds, given the events of the past few days, would want to make a Freespace3 game.

As you were.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:35:38 am by 1991 »
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Originally posted by Unknown Target
Where'd you get that from?
Its probably some 'tard registered on his name acting stupid. Derek's real name on this board is DSmart.

Seriously, if it is someone being dumb, this doesn't help us guys.

Adrenaline Vault forums. Check the new FS3 thread there.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Edited by myself to a more mundane tounge below.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:37:02 am by 368 »