Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 212141 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by kv1at3485
Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new heavily-moderated thread where Mr. Smart and the community can discuss the design of elements in a potential FS3?

Now that's what I'm talking about. This could be of great value to the community and the game. Flaming - it's pointless, and shows up how immature we all are. However, as Zara pointed out, mere disagreement is not flaming. I think we all ought to swallow our pride, at least for a little while, and be prepared to hear something we might disagree with - all of us.

Use your heads, folks. Much is at stake here, and the possibility for a positive relationship between us all stands on a tightwire. Stand for what you believe, by all means; but don't let something like this if fall because of a foolish outburst.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i agree with setekh on this case.. we need level-heads here, not people shooting their mouths off, come on, we are all civilised here.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Black_Knight
"I'm not here to win any hearts, blow any minds, organize cookouts, take long walks in the park or pass around the walm milk."   Then what the flip does this hack want Freespace for?  I say this community just keeps on with the Freespace upgrade project - he can't do anything legally, since the source code was released.  He would only have rights to Freespace 3, and not even be able to touch this project.  I love his 'threats' with the lawyer bit - he wouldn't have a leg to stand on, as far as I can see.

I say we as true Freespace community would outside that twit and protect it from being run into the ground.  If everyone chipped in, I'm sure we could give him a run at least.  I would gladly put down some serious change to ward off that arogant fool...

Listen, I understand your sentiments exactly, but I guess it's in the interest of the Freespace community to try and calm down and not respond to baiting, for sake of our reputation.

At present, any criticims which isn't couched in the most diplomatic of language is being tossed out as 'rabid fanboyism', and it's hurting HLPs' image.  Please, keep it calm & down encourage a flamewar - be aware your sentiments are being echoed here & in many, many other games forums.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Setekh

Now that's what I'm talking about. This could be of great value to the community and the game. Flaming - it's pointless, and shows up how immature we all are. However, as Zara pointed out, mere disagreement is not flaming. I think we all ought to swallow our pride, at least for a little while, and be prepared to hear something we might disagree with - all of us.

Can you turn on pre-post moderation for a single thread?

Offline Zarax

Good pointing Corhellion, let's cool down the thing and get everything on a constructive tone... It's the best chance we have to avoid being ignored on that... And given the actual situation, being ignored is the worst thing we would experience...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, What Derek appears to be saying there is that if we don't screw with him, he won't screw with us, that I can respect.

Whether I agree with him or not on certain things, that sounds like a offer we should not be casually rejecting :)

If I maybe so bold, then...

Perhaps a new section of the forum should be created to discuss FS3?

A section for serious design element discussion.
A section for a wishlist.
And so on and so forth.

[And then this topic can be closed.]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by aldo_14
Can you turn on pre-post moderation for a single thread?

Not for a single thread, but let me see what I can arrange.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
also, the hardlight IRC room seems to be open..
so, if anybody wants to discuss there. they can.

irc.sorcery.net  #hardlight
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Turnsky
i agree with setekh on this case.. we need level-heads here, not people shooting their mouths off, come on, we are all civilised here.

Lest we forget, isn't this the SAME reason that Volition closed their own forums? :rolleyes:

A bunch of retards just blend in with a good community and then proceed to drag it down.

For me, I've been doing for a VERY long time and I have already separated the HLP wheat from the chaff. The chaff had better start praying that I don't get this license.

Originally posted by Flipside
Well, What Derek appears to be saying there is that if we don't screw with him, he won't screw with us, that I can respect.

Whether I agree with him or not on certain things, that sounds like a offer we should not be casually rejecting :)

Exactly. See how easy that was? And it didn't take a Ph.D. to figure out out either.
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Derek, we're all trying to calm down now. Please don't instigate people to flame again. This community is 99% proffesional, and everyone that's been here for more than 1 or 2 months acts very mature. If you'll look through the other threads, you'll see this to be the truth. It's just this whole...issue has raised tempers somewhat.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Setekh

Not for a single thread, but let me see what I can arrange.

you could put it temporarily on the G****** forum or something (y'know, convert it).  Hell, I'd suggest converting the Reci forum for that, but I wanted to open up the internal and that would just confuse stuff.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]

I was mistaken again ... I thought you wouldn't be posting more.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Originally posted by Unknown Target
Derek, we're all trying to calm down now. Please don't instigate people to flame again. This community is 99% proffesional, and everyone that's been here for more than 1 or 2 months acts very mature. If you'll look through the other threads, you'll see this to be the truth. It's just this whole...issue has raised tempers somewhat.

Wot? You finally decided to take your meds? I'm not inciting nor flaming anyone. Thats not my style unless the other side (like you for instance) starts first. I'm an equal opportunity jackass.
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc

It's not helping that there are statements that could be interpreted as being bellicose being issued from both sides of things.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Wot? You finally decided to take your meds?

Naw, I just had some spacecrack, muehehehe (inside joke, mate)

Originally posted by aldo_14

Listen, I understand your sentiments exactly, but I guess it's in the interest of the Freespace community to try and calm down and not respond to baiting, for sake of our reputation.

At present, any criticims which isn't couched in the most diplomatic of language is being tossed out as 'rabid fanboyism', and it's hurting HLPs' image.  Please, keep it calm & down encourage a flamewar - be aware your sentiments are being echoed here & in many, many other games forums.

I agree with you in not flaming, but I am just adding my disapproval of his intervention to the long list of people already not in favor of this.  If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to put down some serious change for this game.

Calling him a hack and twit was wrong, and I take it back.  I don't take the arrogant part back - IF he were to truely work with this community (the one that kept Freespace alive all these years, and the one that deserves that credit) THEN maybe I would listen and accept it.  BUt not if he goes off on his own...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:20:36 am by 976 »
Fortune Favors the Bold

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

That is all I came here to say. So please stop spreading stupid nonsense (such as this crap over at Blues about me using HLP and such nonsense) or it will just end up making me even more pissed. I'm NOT and NEVER have been a very forgiving person when it comes to those who go out of their way to harrass and libel me. Believe me, I'm the LAST person you folks want as an adversary. You just don't know it yet.

Correction - we, the fans of Freespace, the people who will buy your game are the last adversary you want to make. Do you seriously think that this hasn't been noticed? Do you think that even if you make FS3, no doubt from your standard, bug filled and unplayable mould, people will buy it? Have you read the thread you linked to? It's an example of many that are all full of people expressing the exact same sentiments "I will never buy a Freespace 3 by Derek Smart". You've isolated your potential fanbase, and we're isolating you from the wider gaming community.

Most games thrive on their communities and I NEVER said ANYTHING about shutting out fans.

Are you even trying to be serious any more? Practically every post you made on AVault had no effect ther than to shut out the fans of the game - those of us on HLP, and those of us who've seen "That crap at Blues"... and the crap at slashdot, and Penny Arcade, and every other forum we've posted at. Many of your posts were directly negative and inflammatory towards specific members of the community who were posting civilly and intelligently. If that's not shutting out the community, then I don't know what is.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by Black Wolf

Correction - we, the fans of Freespace, the people who will buy your game are the last adversary you want to make. Do you seriously think that this hasn't been noticed? Do you think that even if you make FS3, no doubt from your standard, bug filled and unplayable mould, people will buy it? Have you read the thread you linked to? It's an example of many that are all full of people expressing the exact same sentiments "I will never buy a Freespace 3 by Derek Smart". You've isolated your potential fanbase, and we're isolating you from the wider gaming community.

Are you even trying to be serious any more? Practically every post you made on AVault had no effect ther than to shut out the fans of the game - those of us on HLP, and those of us who've seen "That crap at Blues"... and the crap at slashdot, and Penny Arcade, and every other forum we've posted at. Many of your posts were directly negative and inflammatory towards specific members of the community who were posting civilly and intelligently. If that's not shutting out the community, then I don't know what is.

BW, I'm trying to calm down and tolerate him, could you please do the same?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Black_Knight

I agree with you in not flaming, but I am just adding my disapproval of his intervention to the long list of people already not in favor of this.  If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to put down some serious change for this game.

Calling him a hack was wrong, and I take it back.  I don't take the arrogant part back - IF he were to truely work with this community (the one that kept Freespace alive all these years, and the one that deserves that credit) THEN maybe I would listen and accept it.  BUt not if he goes off on his own...

I know, I know.  I've not exactly been sitting on the sidelines, myself, and I agree with you.  But the key thing is to keep this under control, y'know?  Avoid a flamewar & whatnot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:25:46 am by 181 »